Fuel Grade

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Grade

Liked
    0 times

Default Fuel Grade

Anyone expermented with 89 or 91 to see if it affects mileage with the hybrid. I know it does with my Highlander but I was curious it the hybrid.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Fuel Grade

I'm on the fourth tank and I filled it with 89 for the first time. The restarts seem easier, and the mileage looks promising so far. I'll post back with the results. Ck out greenhybrid.com for mucho mileage info in their database.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I filled up on 91 octane for just one tank and it made no difference in FE. I believe 87 octane is the way to go. Also, I've never had a tank less than 47mpg since switching to 87 octane Shell gas. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? Try it and see if you get better gas mileage. Just stay away from ethanol. It causes the car to run too rich and kills FE.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm on my second non-consecutive tank using 89, and I'm not seeing an increase in mpg, although the restarts seem smoother as well as engine operation all around.

Jer
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by LOL TCH View Post
    I filled up on 91 octane for just one tank and it made no difference in FE. I believe 87 octane is the way to go. Also, I've never had a tank less than 47mpg since switching to 87 octane Shell gas. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? Try it and see if you get better gas mileage. Just stay away from ethanol. It causes the car to run too rich and kills FE.
    Okay... wait.. what?!? You're getting 47mpg in a TCH?!?
    A right, not a privilege - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

=-----> DO NOT SHIP W/DAS (DEPENDABLE AUTO SHIPPERS)!! <----=

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I've had quite a few tanks above 50mpg and 2 tanks where I went 800 miles. The calculated numbers are always a bit lower of course. Alot of people say that all brands of gas are the same. They say it all comes from the same place and that the only difference is the label on the truck. I have enough miles on the car to know this isn't true. I'm not saying Shell has the best gas, but it does give me really consistent tank numbers. There are alot things you have to do to get 50mpg and where you buy your gas is just one of them.

Jer
    Liked
    3 times

I've had quite a few tanks above 50mpg and 2 tanks where I went 800 miles. The calculated numbers are always a bit lower of course. Alot of people say that all brands of gas are the same. They say it all comes from the same place and that the only difference is the label on the truck. I have enough miles on the car to know this isn't true. I'm not saying Shell has the best gas, but it does give me really consistent tank numbers. There are alot things you have to do to get 50mpg and where you buy your gas is just one of them.
    In a Camry Hybrid, right? Not a Prius Hybrid? That sounds too good to be true for a TCH.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The badges say Camry Hybrid all right! I have a friend who drives a Prius and I can't help rubbing it in that I get better gas mileage than he does.

Jer
    Liked
    3 times

You have 5 posts so I won't bother trying to find a thread where you've explained how to attain such mpg #'s. Will you give a few pointers here to a fellow TCH owner that might help me get to your economy?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'll post some thoughts on the 40 mpg?? Tell us how you do it !! thread

-Ed

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I"ll post some thoughts on the 40mpg?? tell us how you do it thread.

-Ed

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'll post some thoughts on the 40mpg ?? tell us how you do it thread.

-Ed

Jer
    Liked
    3 times

Sorry for the duplicate post.
    Actually, it was a triple post.

Trying to increase that post count, eh?

I'll look forward to your post because being able to break 40mpg for us on an entire tank of gas is quite a challenge let alone the 50mpg you're talking about.

Liked
    0 times

When you fill up the tank, are you filling it 100% with the higher grade, or are you actually just mixing the higher grade with what's left?

If you are like most people, you are probably filling it with about a 75/25 mixture.
    So saying the higher grade did/does nothing probably isn't very accurate.

And did you take into account that while you were experimenting with that mixture, the fact that the computer was "learning" to adjust to the higher octane?

I would think that before you make a blanket statement about the higher octane not making any difference, you ought to at least give it a fair trial period starting off at about the fourth full tankful of the higher grade.

By that time the mixture should be better than 95/5 % , and the engine computer should then be able to remap itself, to compensate for the increased timing afforded by the higher octane.

It's worth the thought.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Re 89 octane I'm 1/4 way through the third consecutive tank and not seeing m.p.g.increase.

When I fill up, the fuel warning light is always on and I've always had to add at least 16 gallons minimum, so I don't think dilution was a big factor.

I'll try Shell 87 next couple of tanks maybe.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.