How/where do I tap into +12V power source?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How/where do I tap into +12V power source?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How/where do I tap into +12V power source?

Hi All,

I got an aftermarket HID conversion kit. It looks like I'll need to tap into a 12v source. Since the battery is located in the rear of the vehicle, I am unable to connect the relay that comes in the kit to the battery.

Looking around, I'm not sure where/how else to connect it. I was thinking of getting a solderless wiring kit and splicing the headlight connector to connect the positive battery feed to the relay.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd rather not cut into the headlight wiring if possible.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How/where do I tap into +12V power source?

In your car is a center armrest between the front seats. Ahead of that is a small plastic receptical. In that place you will find a little hole labeled 12v/120w. This may be what you are looking for. There may be a similar place for service from the rear seat, seems the Owner's Manual may have mentioned it, have a look. We used to have a saying in the flying business, "When all else fails, read the op manual".

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Sorry, I did not understand your msg until reading it a second time. You are interested in re-doing your headlights somehow. I would ask for professional help in so doing. A new wiring harness for this technology car will probably run $1200-1500. It would be easy to fry the existing harness unless you understand the system.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I've asked the tech folks at ZenonDepot.com this exact question. Will post when I get a reply.

At this point I know that while during regular time on, an HID uses about 35w power vs the 55w bulb in the stock halogen setup there is more to it. The HID system needs a big "kick" to get the gas in the HID bulb glowing and that is the function of the "ignitor" component. The question is how much much capacity in watts or amps does that need to safely be? It's tempting to just power the whole setup from the stock low beam connector but is it right/safe?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Elmo over at greenhybrid.com did it and he said it works. I've asked him what he did and I'm waiting for a reply.

After reading up on Automotive Lighting FAQ - headlamps and HID harness , I want to connect the xenondepot kit I just got directly to the battery, instead of splicing into the stock headlight connector.

I took a quick look around the engine compartment and could not immediately identify a spot to tap into a 12v source. I'm planning on running a wire somehow from the battery in the back to the front. My only problem is how to conceal the wire. I think they go through the driver side under the scuff plate, but I dont know. I'm not that well versed in auto servicing.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

OK.... Steve at ZenonDepot emailed me back and said they do NOT recommend pulling the bulb power from the stock plug. Instead use the stock connector to close a relay that pulls power through a new wire from the battery or from somewhere in the engine bay. He said it needs to be able to handle the 17A draw when the HID ballast loads. Stock connectors provide about 9A (55w x 2 / 12v = 9A) so they are overloaded using them for primary power to HIDs. I'm looking at pulling a wire (16G) from battery through the car to engine bay. There is lots of info on getting 12v power for audio systems on the web.... it's just that they are backwards from us - battery source is in engine bay and their amps are in trunk!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the info. The more I researched it, the more I decided against tapping the power from the stock headlight connector. I downloaded a copy of the camry hybrid service manual to see how I can pull a wire (18gauge) all the way to the battery. I'm new to reading the service manuals, but it looks like perhaps I can run a wire beneath the scuff plate either on the drivers or passenger side.

I guess I'll be disassembling my TCH over the weekend. Let me know what you end up doing in case you find an easier way to run a wire to the battery

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Can I ask where did you download the manual from??

Liked
    3 times

Another Aftermarket HID mess in the brewing process....

"the blind leading the blind":cry:

LT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.