99 solara timing belt

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 99 solara timing belt

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default 99 solara timing belt

Hi guys, just wondering if the 99 solara V6 has a non-interference engine, the dealer nearby told me it us, wanted to check here though. How hard is the job to do? How long? What is needed to buy? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: 99 solara timing belt

Hey Victor - are you out there? Got any info you might know about the 3.0 to share?
    Account no longer active.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by keez315 View Post
    Hi guys, just wondering if the 99 solara V6 has a non-interference engine, the dealer nearby told me it us, wanted to check here though. How hard is the job to do? How long? What is needed to buy? Thanks
    Changing the timing belt can be a little tricky and time consuming if its your 1st time and there is not much room to work since it sits so close to the wheel well. Recommend taking it to a mechanic. They idler pully should be inspected as well as the cam seals. I also recommend the water pump be replaced every 2nd timing belt repalcement (ie ~120K miles, ~240K miles, etc) as preventative maintenance. Its also a good time to replace the drive belts since they have to be removed anyway to replace the timing belt.
    2009 Camry Hybrid (wife's car)
    2007 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD 4X4 (What a truck!!!)
    2001 Sequoia Limited (for sale)
    1999 Solara SLE (kid's car)
    1995 T100 DX 4x4 (my tonka toy, but its gotta go as my wife says I don't need 2 trucks )
    2000 Mustang (black sheep of the family)

Liked
    11 times
    Images

on a 99 should be the 1MZ-FE engine. non interference motor. can be kinda tricky doing this timing belt as stated above because there is not much room to work with from the timing cover and the right side wheel well. my dealer charges 4 hours for replacing this t-belt. no special tools needed. sometimes maybe you will need a chain wrench to get the crank pulley off, but most of the time you can get it off by using an air hammer and with the vibration, the pulley should come off.

05 Salsa Red Pearl DC
    01 Honda Civic
    95 Acura Integra

Liked
    0 times

I just had the TB replaced on my wife's 2000 solara 3.0. I waited longer than I should have 114,000 miles. Changed TB, tensioner, cam seals, crank seal, water pump, drive belts. $700.
    2000 Toyota Solara SLE V6
    2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl cab 4X4
    2009 Toyota Highlander limited

Liked
    0 times

For 99+ model years, the timing belt replacement is 90,000 miles, not 60,000. But, you can go as long as you want until it breaks since it's non-interference. That's not true for the VVT-i 1MZs, however, but those were never offered on the 1st gen Solara. The 2nd gen's 3MZ is also interference and still belt driven, so be wary.

Also check the condition of the silicone RTV on the primary and secondary oil pans. The 1MZ uses a ton of RTV, so if it hardens, you'll likely get an oil leak somewhere.
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab V6 4x4 w/ TRD Off-Road pkg., Auto
    1991 MR2 V6 (1MZFE)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.