Camry Starting Problem

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camry Starting Problem

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Camry Starting Problem

I own a 2004 Camry LE. Purchased it brand new back in 2004 with 3 miles.

Recently. about once every two weeks or so, the car refuses to start. Took it in to the dealership. They said it was my battery and battery cable so they replaced these items. Car worked fine for awhile then one morning I tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. Took it back to the dealer and they said it started fine for them and the diagnostic test didn't produce any problems.

Drove the car another two weeks, went to start that morning and again nothing. The car turn over but it won't start (tried 6 times over a five hour period). Took it to a mechanic this time once it finally started on try number 7. Mechanic said same thing: started for him no diagnostic results and suggested that I get my fuel line cleaned. So I paid for that.

Car started fine for awhile. Woke up Monday morning, guess what, car wouldn't start. Took seven tries and it finally started. Has been starting fine so far but I know that it is going to happen again. This two week intermittent starting is getiing tiresome. Especially on a 2004 Camry.

Really want to get this fixed since I really do like Camrys. I have only driven Camrys since 1998. Now I am faced with dumping this car and breaking my Camry trend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Camry Starting Problem

Intermittent problems can be tough to isolate. Is there any common denominator such as rainy or very damp weather during the times of the no start condition?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Unfortuantely there isn't any factor that I can think of. Car is garaged and the weather had been anything but rainy and damp when it has occurred.

Thanks for the help. However, since I have a newborn my wife is about ready to push me to gettng rid of the car since it is unreliable. My Camry days may soon be over. I guess all good things must come to an end.

Thanks for the reply.

Liked
    0 times

When you say it doesn't start, do you mean it cranks but doesn't fire up or that it doesn't crank at all?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Yes, cranks but doesn't start. Turns over but won't kick in. Just tried it a few minutes ago, had been working fine all week. Now that it has sat overnight it wouldn't start. Took three tries with me pumping the gas before it started. Very frustrating.

Liked
    0 times

Are you getting spark? Pull the lead off one plug and have someone crank it over while you hold the end near a good ground. Do you see/hear a nice fat spark?
    Are you getting fuel? Remove the gas cap and listen at the filler neck while someone else turns the key to ON, not START. You should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds then shut off.

Liked
    0 times

I'd suggest try cleaning the throttle plate with some spray throttle cleaner, and/or giving it a seafoam treatment through the vacuum line. You have the same symptoms as my friend's Gen4.5 Camry, and I did this for her and after clearing the check engine light, it has started fine ever since.
    good luck!
    |1995 Camry LE 5SFE [sold]|2006 Tacoma PreRunner 1GRFE [workhorse]|2003 Highlander 1MZFE [dailydriver]|

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Will try.

Thanks

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Cleaned the throttle plate. Same problem.

My stubborn nature appears to be taking over. I am going to buy a Chilton repair book and figure out what is going on. That is, until my wife finally makes me get rid of the car.

Liked
    0 times

Hmm then it may have been the seafoam treatment through the booster line that did it for my friend's cam.
    Good luck, and post up what happens!
    |1995 Camry LE 5SFE [sold]|2006 Tacoma PreRunner 1GRFE [workhorse]|2003 Highlander 1MZFE [dailydriver]|

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by frank2223 View Post
    Cleaned the throttle plate. Same problem.

My stubborn nature appears to be taking over. I am going to buy a Chilton repair book and figure out what is going on. That is, until my wife finally makes me get rid of the car.
    That will be too bad for you but good luck for the next owner who will discover that the non-running steal of a bargain they bought from you only needed a coil or some other minor ignition part.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Kick a man while he is down. That is low. :-)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

i had a similar problem with a z28.. obviously, not the same car, but same symptoms. was very intermittent, and would never had a constant variable. Ended up being a fuel pump, obviously, it's not that old of a car.. but if a bad part happened to come thru, never know.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

After $2K in bills, three trips to the dealership and one to a mechanic, my Camry still has the same issue. I have decided to test drive the Accord, G35 and Acura TL this week. If I like either one, I will replace my Camry. Since I have owned/driven only Camrys since 1998, this is a sad day indeed. I guess all good things...

Thanks for the advice.

Liked
    1 times

Does your car have an immobilizer system. I have seen the rings in key slot go bad. That part is the receiver part of the immobilizer. If the ECM doesn't recognize the key as the correct key the engine will spin over and not start. Might be something to think about. If you decide to sell let me know I have plenty of people that might be interested. I am sure I can fix it.
    Master Toyota Tech
    ASE Master Tech
    20 years with Toyota

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)