99 Camry V6: UBDII P0402 & P1411 = (EGR) VSV or EGR Position Sensor or VCV?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 99 Camry V6: UBDII P0402 & P1411 = (EGR) VSV or EGR Position Sensor or VCV?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question 99 Camry V6: UBDII P0402 & P1411 = (EGR) VSV or EGR Position Sensor or VCV?

Hello All,

Newbie here, hoping you might help me out with a check engine light problem.

My Camry shows no symptoms, it starts and runs fine. However, the check engine light recently came on and a diagnostic put out two UBDII Codes of P0402 (EGR excessive flow detected) and P1411 (EGR Valve Position Sensor circuit range performance malfunction.) From reading archived posts here and elsewhere, it appears the recommended plan of action is to clean the EGR Valve and replace either the EGR Position Sensor and/or the (EGR) VSV.

When I checked the EGR Position Sensor, I measured the resistance of the E2 and VC Terminal and got a reading of 8K ohms - this is about twice what Chiltons and Haynes suggest it should be. They both suggest it as 1.5K - 4.3K. Should I consider the EGR Position Sensor as bad? Is this greatly out of spec?

Another suggestion I've seen is to replace the (EGR) VSV before trying a new EGR Position Sensor. Any thoughts on this? Should I consider changing the (EGR) VSV instead of the EGR Position Sensor, or in addition to it? Also, I want to be sure I'm referencing the correct part - is it (EGR) Vacuum Switching Valve, or (EGR) Vacuum Solenoid Valve? I've seen it listed as both.

Also of note, I tested my VCV (Vacuum Control Valve) and it leaks down much faster than the Chilton spec's. (Should be 10 seconds, takes only 1 second.) Since this controls vacuum to the (EGR) VSV, could this be my culprit?

A little more info here - if I reset the check engine light, it usually takes a good 40 miles driving (over several multiple trips, or one single trip) before the light comes back on.

I look forward to hearing from you!

1999 Toyota Camry V6
    70,000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: 99 Camry V6: UBDII P0402 & P1411 = (EGR) VSV or EGR Position Sensor or VCV?

In most cases when we get these codes in a dealership we replace the EGR valve. Typically only the position sensor is faulty and comes with the EGR valve. If it where my personal vehicle I would try the much less expensive position sensor on top of the EGR. As far as the vsv I personally have never seen a faulty one on the 1MZFE (V6) in about 15 years of dealership experiance. Good luck

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 99 Camry V6: UBDII P0402 & P1411 = (EGR) VSV or EGR Position Sensor or VCV?

Hello and thank you for replying! This is very helpful, I really needed input to choose a starting point for fixing this. After hearing from you and doing more checking, I decided I'd be putting my time/money to better use in the EGR Position Sensor direction rather than fussing with the VCV. I took your advice about skipping the EGR valve at this point, and I put on a new position sensor just last week. So far so good; no problems and the check engine light has stayed off. Thank you for taking the time and sharing your knowledge with me, it is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-08-2014, 12:25 PM
  2. 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM
  3. 04-16-2014, 09:18 PM
  4. 01-07-2014, 01:08 PM