1998 Camry 4 cyl. Stall problem when Hot

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1998 Camry 4 cyl. Stall problem when Hot

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy 1998 Camry 4 cyl. Stall problem when Hot

I have a 1998 Camry 4 cyl. that has a stalling / hesitation problem. After driving the car for just a few miles it begins to "cut out" or hesitate. If I stop at a light when the car is doing this, it will stall. If I rev the engine past 5000 rpm the problem goes away. I usually place the car in Neutral if I'm comming up to a light and watch the tack to see if the engine is cutting out or going to stall, and if it is, I rev it up past 5000 and it's a.o.k. This problem occurs daily. I read alot of threads on this site and thought that the VSV problem indicated by the P0401 CEL was very simular to my problem. I do not have any CEL showing. I checked the EGR valve with a tool from AutoZone and it checked out fine. The steps to check the modulator Valve also passed the "blowing" tests. I then replaced the VSV valve with the help of the posts on this forum. I still have the same problem. Please help. What can I check next?

I have checked the EGR valve.
    Checked the EGR modulator valve.
    Replaced the VSV.
    Used Sea Foam treatment.
    Cleaned most of the Vacum hoses I can from junk / sludge.
    Last edited by narb_ky; 04-20-2008 at 06:24 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 1998 Camry 4 cyl. Stall problem when Hot

Take it to a mechanic????????????????

'07 Japanese XLE I4 (Heated Leather, VSC, Mats), Dual Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Mudguards, Modified Front/Rear Emblems, Lip Spoiler, MTEC 4,750 K High, H9 Low and Fogs, Painted Fogs, Chrome (GS300 Wheels, Pillars, Hybrid Grille, Lower Grille, Trunk Accent, Door Handles), Wood Steering Wheel, Red Out LED Tail lights, Eyelids, 19MM Rear Sway Bar, Front Strut Bar, LED Signal-Heated-Power Folding Mirrors

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Have you changed your fuel filter lately??

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hi. I am going through the nearly the exact same problem, though so far it's happening intermittently. It's driving me insane. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I don't really understand all the acronyms you refer to. I have changed my plugs, my fuel filter and done a variety of other routine maintenance. I get no CEL (figured that one out) and, of course, nothing shows up on the quickie diagnostic. I have had a million people suggest a million different things, but the most common to date are the Idle Speed (Air) Control Sensor or the Throttle position sensor, which can be found on opposite ends of each other. The ISCS is a way expense part,while the other is about $30 new. My local Toyota dealer has offered to check the ISCS this afternoon, diagnostically, and I hope to get them to do a quickie on the other part. Not sure if this will show good/bad since it's an intermittent problem, but, like you, I'm going through the process of elimination. I will let you know the results. Could you please let me know what some of the acronyms are that you are referring to? I'm figuring since they didn't help you, it won't help me either, but it'll be good to know. You can reply here or even call my cell at 904-314-3276. My name is Jim.

We must beat this thing!!!!!!!
    Last edited by theshot; 05-03-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

BTW, I think both narb and I would appreciate any CONSTRUCTIVE advice we can get from any of you. I don't think we're on this board to have someone suggest we take it to a mechanic, however.

theshot

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

TheShot....
    Sorry, but I haven't checked this site in a while. Please email me if you have had any luck. narb_ky@yahoo.com

I agree... those who post take it to a mechanic kinda miss out on the reason this forum is here.

As far as the abbriviations I used....

EGR = exhaust gas recirculation system.
    EGR Valve is the main valve that makes up this system.

VSV = is one of the valves that make up part of the EGR system on your Camry.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Same here, except mine is an 04 2AZ-FE. Mine does not stall out, but similar to what OP said, I have to push the revs up to clear a stumble. Basically, mine appears to manifest when the engine has been running awhile, but then I stop, cutoff, get out, go do my thing, return in an hour, restart, and drive away. I get a very low idle [around 400rpm best i can tell] and then a hesitant 'stumble' when accelerating from a dead stop. My fuel mileage is not good either... getting around 26 at highway cruise.

is the solution to start replacing those parts you guys mentioned: EGR, VSV, et al? Mine has a tad over 100K on it and not much maintenance: new Air filter and new spark plugs so far.....

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I didn’t see fuel pumps mentioned.
    ... Most modern vehicles are equipped with an electric fuel pump mounted in the fuel tank. Some have ‘self cleaning filters' that can temporarily clog up with accumulated debris. When the vehicle is idling the supplied voltage to the pump may be lower and a weak pump might not be putting out quite enough pressure.
    ... If you are running a 10 million watt audio system it may be dragging current from the pump… you might try turning it off… it may help the pump and maybe I can get some sleep!

Have a good one while you can still laugh about it.. Don S..
    Why did the U.S Government remove food and fuel from the inflation rate?... It sounds better at 4% … I think some of us know better!…
    '08 Camry LE 2.4 - '04 Sentra LS 1.8 - '99 Frontier KC 3.3 4x4 - '76 Wagoneer 6.6 4x4

Liked
    0 times

OP,
    It certainly sounds like a fuel restriction. You might want to change the fuel filter just to rule that out. After 10 years the filter just could be the culprit.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Solution finally found......

It ended up being the EGR Valve. I had tested it before, but when the EGR valve gets to a certain temp, it sticks. Very hard to test that.

The only way to tell this is to get the car to do the stalling / hesitation. While it is doing this, pull over to the side of the road and pop the hood, take a tool of some sort and Hit the EGR Valve in the body. If the hesitation stops, then you know you have a sticky EGR valve. Once the EGR valve was replaced, I've been running smooth for over two weeks now.

Hope this helps some of you.

Oh, by the way. I ended up taking it to a mechanic and he was the one who told me all of the above information. Great guy who used to work for a Toyota Dealership.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Dude the exact same thing has been happening to me lately...

I had the spark plugs, and the fuel filter changed, additionally there was a plastic bag in my tailpipe, and that still didn't seem to help.

My mechanic suggested I should use 93 octane fuel, to "help clear out the lines" but that's not doing much.

I know exactly what you're saying though, the car just starts shaking and it just cuts out, pisses me off so much.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Solution finally found......

Quote Originally Posted by narb_ky View Post
    It ended up being the EGR Valve. I had tested it before, but when the EGR valve gets to a certain temp, it sticks. Very hard to test that.

The only way to tell this is to get the car to do the stalling / hesitation. While it is doing this, pull over to the side of the road and pop the hood, take a tool of some sort and Hit the EGR Valve in the body. If the hesitation stops, then you know you have a sticky EGR valve. Once the EGR valve was replaced, I've been running smooth for over two weeks now.

Hope this helps some of you.

Oh, by the way. I ended up taking it to a mechanic and he was the one who told me all of the above information. Great guy who used to work for a Toyota Dealership.
    Thank you so much dude, I've been getting so pissed off at this thing,
    If this works, I want you to know, I <3 You.

other readers, sorry you just have to know what it feels like.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.