Camry Charcoal Canister and VSV Valve - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Camry Charcoal Canister and VSV Valve

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Smile 2001 Camry Problem

we had the same problem with the engine light coming on this past summer while we were vacationing in Corpus Christi Texas (we are from Illinois),, took it to a dealer down there,, they put a new gas cap on and reset the computer,,$80.00 later still the same problem,, checked on the problem when we got home ,, all dealers told us about $500.00 to put on a new canister,,
    just last week we dropped it off at a local shop and told them to fix it ,, he had given up a prior estimate of $300.00,, we went to Canada to visit family and came back this week,, our bill was $110 labor and parts,,they put on a canister purge valve for $49.00 ,, so far no light and we have already put on over 100 miles on the vehicle,,
    fyi
    Dave
    Last edited by dcmbsn; 12-22-2004 at 07:28 AM. Reason: I did not take the car to Ken Nelson Toyota here in Dixon Illinois as they wanted to charge me $500.00

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2000 toytota camry problem with charcoal canister

I have same problem. It cost about $600.00 to fix. Is it possible that I can fix myself? Where to buy parts? I searched internet, I couldn't find any.The part number listed on the diagnostic paper is 90910-12199.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pondyyuan
    Hi,

I am new to this forum. I owned a 2000 Camry CE and only 42K on it. Last week, the check engine light was on. I checked the error code: P0446. I took it to the dealer. I was told the problem was the leaking charcoal canister and costed me $400. However, there is one TSB: EG013-03 related with this problem. Is that for charcoal canister or something else? I also searched the internet. It seemed the bad charcoal canister is a common problem for Camry. Is that possible I could get some refund from Toyota because of that?

Moderator Notation - Threads merged due to similar topics for better exposure. If you have any questions please let me know.

Peid

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I can't speak to the Tundra, but my T100 service manual has a simple diagnostic proceedure for the charcoal canister. It is a short procedure using compressed air and a vacuum pump to test the valves and diaphrams in the canister. I'm familiar with because I just tested mine on Monday because my T100 has been very hard to start recently, with a strong gas smell when cranking. The canister tested bad and I had to order a new one for about $250. It should arrive tomorrow.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by THarms
    Does anyone know where these are located? Are they in the engine compartment or near the gas tank?
    VSV Valve is near the air box under the hood.

Charcoal Canister is in the rear near the filler neck.

To fix: http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=61152
    2005 Toyota Double Cab PreRunner SJ Package Silver Streak Mica

sid
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Camry Charcoal Canister and VSV Valve

I am new to this forum and own a 2000 Camry XLE V6. My engine lite came on few months back and the dealer changed Canister Closed Value ($100). In a month, it came on again (P0-446) and the dealer replaced Tank Bypass Value (VSV?) for $150. The lite came back again and I was really mad. This time, the dealer just adjusted the values and put them back. No issues for couple of months. Now again the lite is on. I went to a different dealer and he says there is no current to canister valve (codes P0-446, 441, 440). He also said there was no reason to change the values. I need to take it back to him soon for a complete check. I am really confused and upset...Can any of you advise...

Thanks,
    SID

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by sid
    I am new to this forum and own a 2000 Camry XLE V6. My engine lite came on few months back and the dealer changed Canister Closed Value ($100). In a month, it came on again (P0-446) and the dealer replaced Tank Bypass Value (VSV?) for $150. The lite came back again and I was really mad. This time, the dealer just adjusted the values and put them back. No issues for couple of months. Now again the lite is on. I went to a different dealer and he says there is no current to canister valve (codes P0-446, 441, 440). He also said there was no reason to change the values. I need to take it back to him soon for a complete check. I am really confused and upset...Can any of you advise...

Thanks,
    SID
    I'd like to know how they changed(adjusted) the values. Sounds like a load of BS to me. You cant change values of anything even with the Toyota scan tool. I bet they just cleared the code and sent you on your merry way.
    You need another dealer who knows how that sysytem works and what to look for.
    p0440/p0441/p0446 usually means there is a large leak on the Fuel filler side of the tank.
    Causes could be : gas cap loose or aftermarket or not holding pressure.
    OVERFILL CHECK valve in the top of the tank, they are known to crack.
    Any number of hoses in the evap system may have come loose.
    Charcoal canister may be defective.
    The CCV valve would have been the first place to start as there is a TSB on that. The EVAP VSV is also know for sticking, and it is under the cover on the top of the engine.
    If the gas cap is tight and not aftermarket, my next GUESS (i have no scan tool data) would be the overfill checkvalve. When it cracks it leaks fuel into the charcoal canister, when the canister gets full of fuel it will eventually leak into the rear crossmember and then onto the ground. They both should be replaced when this happens.
    You really need to find someone who knows what they are doing.
    Wish we could help more.
    Last edited by mustang67408; 03-24-2008 at 10:08 AM.

sid
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks Mustang...I don't know much about engines, but I could see that the first dealer has no clue of what he is doing. I have not seen any leak dripping on the ground. Other than that, the only detail I have is that the same code comes up again and again on an irregular basis. The second dealer said there was some leak and I am leaving my car this Wednesday for full examination. I will take this TSB to him. I will have to wait and see what his solution is!

Will post details after the check...

Thanks...SID

sid
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The second dealer did a complete check for P0 446/441/440 and found that there was no current to canister VSV because of no ground from ECM. Needs ECM part 89661-0689184 that would cost $885.

I cannot afford to spend that much. Please let me know if there is an alternate.

SID

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by sid
    The second dealer did a complete check for P0 446/441/440 and found that there was no current to canister VSV because of no ground from ECM. Needs ECM part 89661-0689184 that would cost $885.

I cannot afford to spend that much. Please let me know if there is an alternate.

SID
    That ECU part number is not a good number in our parts book.
    PM sent
    are you sure it isnt 89661-06841-84?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by THarms
    Ordered the Vacuum Control Valve today from another toyota dealership that I typical mailorder parts from. Cost: $17.98

TSB shows a replacement time of 0.2hrs... even if it takes me an hour (or two), I will still be much better off than anywhere near where the dealer was quoting... will let you know if it works once the part arrives later this week.
    Hi: Can you tell me the website address for the dealership which shipped the Vapour Pressure Sensor. I haven't been able to find one as inexpensive as $17... Thanks

Liked
    34 times

Hey THARMS, whats the part number of that $17 valve.
    The best I can do on a VAPOR PRESSURE sensor is $48.(9091012271)

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I have been following this thread for a few days now. Has anyone located the site that one can order a VSV for $17?

I have a 99 Camry in need of a vsv (p/n 90910-12264 goes on canister). I have shopped the web and have found one for 41.09 (this price includes $8.95 for shipping). I found it at toyotapartspeople.com.

The dealer wants $49.31.

Does anyone know where I can do better??

Thanks!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

This (90910-122710 is the VSV that goes in the engine compartment. At least that is what the dealer told me.

The TSB 013-2 is confusing in as much as it is not clear about whether the 9091012271 is mounted in the engine compartment or on the charcoal canister.
    I am pretty well convinced there are three VSVs in use for the system: two mounted in the engine copartment and one mounted on the charcoal canister (each a different part no.).

I got suspicious when looked up prices for the 9091012271. The part description listed the word "bracket" for the 9091012271. I do not believe the VSV used for the canister has a bracket.

I called the dealer and asked for the specific part number for the VSV mounted on the canister. They said it was 9091012264. Apparently they use a lot of them. They had two in stock and three more ordered.

In any event, the price at the dealer for the VSV 90910-12271 (VSV monted in engine compartment) is $66.28. The dealer price for the 90910-12264 (the VSV for the canister) is 49.31.

The cheapest I could find on the Web for the 9091012264 was 41.09.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

The latest information that I have been able to get by comparing information and part numbers at 3 different dealers is this:

The part number 90910-12264 is the VSV valve for a 2000 and 2001 ToyataCamry at the charcoal canister (rear of car).

The part number 90910-12271 is the VSV valve for a 1999 Toyaota Camry at the charcoal canister at rear of car.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by joede
    The latest information that I have been able to get by comparing information and part numbers at 3 different dealers is this:

The part number 90910-12264 is the VSV valve for a 2000 and 2001 Toyota Camry at the Charcoal canister (rear of car).

The part number 90910-12271 is the VSV valve for a 1999 Toyota Camry at the charcoal canister at rear of car.
    90910-12264 = $35.28
    90910-12271 = $47.90 <--- if you want this, your better off buying the whole canister assy. It comes with it. Most of the time the canister has an internal leak.
    (+ shipping)

If you want canister price. I need to know a few things-

Calif or Federal spec vehicle
    V-6 or 4 cyl
    VIN would be best (send me PM)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast