cant remove the back brake drum

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cant remove the back brake drum

Liked
    0 times

Default cant remove the back brake drum

i was trying to change my back brakes i removed the tire but i cant remove the back drums can anyone help me?and i really dont want to take it to a shop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Talking Re: cant remove the back brake drum

Quote Originally Posted by itssashok
    i was trying to change my back brakes i removed the tire but i cant remove the back drums can anyone help me?and i really dont want to take it to a shop.
    There should be 2 threaded holes which allow you to insert bolts into and "push" the drum out away from the hub. The parking brake is off, right?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: cant remove the back brake drum

Mr. Anytime is right, use the threaded holes to pull the drum off. The reason it wont come off easily is because the drum has a wear ridge so count on turning or replacing the drum.

You can also try backing off the self adjuster assembly but this isnt quite so easy as the bolt trick . you crawl under behind the brakes and pop out the oval shaped rubber plug on the brake backing plate. Then stick your screwdriver #1 inside and push the little lever back (toyota says use a wire, which is a good idea, there's not much room in that little hole).

And use screwdriver #2 to turn the gear. Turn it in the way that makes it loose, youll know fast which way. And then turn the gear til it wont turn any more and hopefully the drum will now come off.

If it is still stuck after all this dirty work, use a big big 3-jaw puller to get the drum off. If you need to do this i wouldn't worry much about damaging the drum in the process - any drum that's stuck on this good is probly due for the scrap heap anyway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.