2007 Camry SE Gas Tank/Fuel Guage issue

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2007 Camry SE Gas Tank/Fuel Guage issue

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2007 Camry SE Gas Tank/Fuel Guage issue

I'm puzzling over the owner's manual (typo?) stating that the fuel tank capacity is 18.5 gal (US). When I filled the tank at very close to E (empty), it took 14.4 gallons. I had run it down to where the warning light came on as part of my checking and calibrating the gas cuage ritual. The numbers I had gotten earlier when checking the fill at the half and quarter tank marks seemed odd based on the stated capacity. I now think that the manual is wrong and that the US capacity is 15.5 gallons, which they list as the British capacity (15.4 Imperial gallons). Or is my gauge just completely whacky? Anyone know anything about this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2007 Camry SE Gas Tank/Fuel Guage issue

Quote Originally Posted by thutches
    I'm puzzling over the owner's manual (typo?) stating that the fuel tank capacity is 18.5 gal (US). When I filled the tank at very close to E (empty), it took 14.4 gallons. I had run it down to where the warning light came on as part of my checking and calibrating the gas cuage ritual. The numbers I had gotten earlier when checking the fill at the half and quarter tank marks seemed odd based on the stated capacity. I now think that the manual is wrong and that the US capacity is 15.5 gallons, which they list as the British capacity (15.4 Imperial gallons). Or is my gauge just completely whacky? Anyone know anything about this?
    The gas gauge is very conservative as is the range reading on the trip computer.

The lowest I've seen is 1/8 tank, 20 more miles range and the most I've added is 14.7 gallons.

Keeps you from running out of gas.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

My 03 also has a 18.5 gallon tank and I've gotten 17.3 into it after driving with the low fuel lite on for quite a while. Felt awfully uncertain and edgy during that period though even with a 2.5 gallon container in my trunk.

Larry
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the info. Bad gas gauges is a pet peeve of mine. (In this order, as if in an airplane): Does the engine sound right? Is the tank empty? Does that damn gauge actually work?

So if it doesn't read right, all the more reason to figure it out and calibrate my brain to it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

most cars have a designated reserve which usually consists of enough fuel to hopefully get you to the next fill station, the 18.5 gallons includes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Of course I wouldn't be posting about this unless I thought the "reserve" was unusually large, so large as to be confusing for a first time user. By my calculations, my Camry seems to have a about a 5-gallon reserve or about 30% of the tank making the gauge less useful. In the extreme, suppose your gauge had a 50% reserve, would that be acceptable?

That's what the post is about, to find out if others are seeing this large amount. If so then my Camry's gauge is workin like everyone else. Otherwise I will look into it further.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I believe my fuel light comes on with 4 gallons left. Which is a very conservative number. At one point my gauge was way beyond "E" and then went back to just before the "E". Went to go fill it up and it only took 15.5g

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Same here, after a 440 mile trip with the gas light on it only took 15.5 gallons and the needle was close to E.
    07 Camry 2.4
    99 Corvette
    http://home.si.rr.com/cruzin99

Liked
    0 times

I just bought '07 Camry LE 4cyl. auto

I also thought this was strange how the owner's manual says 18.5 and 15.4(imp). If you check Toyota's web site, they dont even mention the 15.4 gal in the specifications. I drove until the needle was right at the empty line and I filled the tank and it took 15.44 gals. Toyota is being overly cautious about people running their out of gas, it says in the manual to fill up when you get to 1/4 left!

I'm going to consult the dealer to see what they have to say.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07Camry1 (Large).JPG 
Views:	3984 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	13219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07Camry2 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1187 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	13220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07Camry3 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1398 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	13221  
    2007 Camry LE 4cyl Auto- Magnetic Grey Metallic / Bisque cloth interior

Live Free or Die!

New baby, new house, new car, doesn't get any better!