Today I spent sometime to replace the vacuum solenoid valve for EGR for my Toyota camry 2.2L 2001. (Intermittient P0401 Check Engine Code problem.) For those who would like to DIY, I post what I did for your reference.
The tools I used:
1. 12 mm 3/8 in. drive socket
2. 3/8 in. drive universal joint
3. 3/8 in. drive 18 in. extension bar
4. 3/8 in. drive ratchet
The steps are:
1. Disconnect battery.
2. Raise the car.
3. Unplug the connector. (You can not see it this step.)See attached picture.
4. Unscrew 12 mm bolt. (You can see the bolt but your hand may block your view while unscrewing it.) See attached picture.
5. Move the vsv to where you can see.(Now you can see it.)
6. Remove one of the vacuum tube and plug it to the same place on the new vsv.
7. Remove the other of the vacuum tube and plug it to the same place on the new vsv.
8. Move the vsv back. (Now you can not see it again.)
9. Screw 12 mm bolt back in.
10. plug the connector slowly until you hear a click sound.(You can not see it this step.)
BTW, It is very hard to reach it and most steps you can not see the vsv that you are working on. But if you know where it is, you can do it without seeing it.