cabin air filter for camry 2000 LE / Bad odor when the fan is ON

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: cabin air filter for camry 2000 LE / Bad odor when the fan is ON

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation cabin air filter for camry 2000 LE / Bad odor when the fan is ON

Hello folks, hope all fine!

I have got a used Toyota Camry in Dec 2006. When I got it checked before purchasing from a dealer, the mechanic told me too fewer "TO DOs" for the car.

The car did burn my pockets. I have many things to be done.. like transmission oil leak, spark plugs replacement, brakes replacement, already things done are tire replace, Timing belt, some other misc. belts also replaced, interior cleaning done.

Well even after doing interior cleaning/ detailing, there is a rotten smell in the car, specially if the A/C or the heater is turned ON.

The detailer advised to replace the air fliter, didn't mentioned which one.

I got the Haynes book and tried opening the hand glowes compartment to check the cabine air filter. But I didn't find it there, I broke the knob on the right side while removing the glow compartment.

Im trying to trace the residence of the odor/bacteria. Any tips are welcomed.

Note: I'm a just new beginner here! learning how to judge problems and fix them.

Thanks,
    -V

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: cabin air filter for camry 2000 LE / Bad odor when the fan is ON

It could be mildew in the AC system.

Dealers have a spray they use that will kill it.
    See a dealer service department.

If it came from a flood area in Louisiana you could be in for replacing the rugs and mats and a whole lot more.

You might consider paying someone to run a CarFax on the VIN number to get it's history.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

the car fax tells me nothing specific about the flood area, but I can see the rust at the bottom of the car.

Any suggestion if I can spray the liquid myself? google tells me a good one is from wurth, but I don't know where to spray it and where to buy it from.

Thanks,
    -V

Liked
    0 times

A long time ago I had a Honda Accord and it was doing the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they did a "one time" customer service special for me...they sprayed a mildew killer directly into the plastic vents at the bottom of the windshield...the fan was blowing and they just sprayed it all over...almost like using WD-40 and spraying it down into the vent.

It stopped the problem but I'll tell you...it smelled like roadkill for a little while.

They recommended that I turn the AC compressor off a short time before I turn off the car...the smell was related to water not fully draining from the shrouds around the compressor...then the mildew would grow.

I've followed that same logic for a long time and never experienced the issue again.

I suggest you take a peek under your car and see if some mud of something may be blocking your drain holes and then get a mildew spray that you like the smell of and do the same thing...lift the hood and spray...spray...spray.

You might want to wait for some warmer days so you can keep your windows open!

Let us know.

Thanks
    Scott Wallace
    (A.K.A. BoloMK33)
    shwallace@ca.rr.com
    2007 Camry LE V6

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by BoloMK33 View Post
    A long time ago I had a Honda Accord and it was doing the same thing. I took it to the dealer and they did a "one time" customer service special for me...they sprayed a mildew killer directly into the plastic vents at the bottom of the windshield...the fan was blowing and they just sprayed it all over...almost like using WD-40 and spraying it down into the vent.

It stopped the problem but I'll tell you...it smelled like roadkill for a little while.

They recommended that I turn the AC compressor off a short time before I turn off the car...the smell was related to water not fully draining from the shrouds around the compressor...then the mildew would grow.

I've followed that same logic for a long time and never experienced the issue again.

I suggest you take a peek under your car and see if some mud of something may be blocking your drain holes and then get a mildew spray that you like the smell of and do the same thing...lift the hood and spray...spray...spray.

You might want to wait for some warmer days so you can keep your windows open!

Let us know.

Thanks
    Sorry, but where should I spray under the hood? Got pics? I know very little about this stuff.

Liked
    0 times

Open your hood and look to where the windshield meets the front of your car...basically on top of the firewall at the rear of your engine copartment. At that junction, on the top, you wil find some black plastic grills...THIS is where the fresh air intake is...THIS is where you'll likely need to spray some kind of mildew (if indeed this is the problem) killer.

Just pop the hood and take a look!
    Scott Wallace
    (A.K.A. BoloMK33)
    shwallace@ca.rr.com
    2007 Camry LE V6

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Red face Re: cabin air filter for camry 2000 LE / Bad odor when the fan is ON

Quote Originally Posted by BoloMK33 View Post
    Open your hood and look to where the windshield meets the front of your car...basically on top of the firewall at the rear of your engine copartment. At that junction, on the top, you wil find some black plastic grills...THIS is where the fresh air intake is...THIS is where you'll likely need to spray some kind of mildew (if indeed this is the problem) killer.

Just pop the hood and take a look!
    I did that on my 07' and replaced the cabin filter and it still stinks! I'm going to try something other than Lysol.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-09-2013, 10:43 AM