Rough Idle after dead battery.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rough Idle after dead battery.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Rough Idle after dead battery.

My wife went to start her 2005 corolla S this morning to be greeted with a completely flat battery out of nowhere, it was fine last night and it's a daily driver with almost 100k miles. I came home from work to see what the problem was, and after a jump start, the alternator was charging just fine so the battery was the problem. I replaced the battery and now the car idles verry low, like around 350 - 400 rpm. I noticed everything on these things these days is computer controlled. There was no check engine light either. Always properly maintained. The low idle lasted 30 mins while driving over town and then now idles fine, but under hard acceleration it feels like it's not fueling properly, spluttering like it was a rich mixture or something? Anyone have corolla troubleshooting experience seen this before or have any ideas what it could be???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Rough Idle after dead battery.

No idea.
    Got a multi-meter?

Check the battery voltage not running and running, compare the running voltage to a reading right off the back of the alternator.

Were the battery posts and cables cleaned when the new battery went in?
    1999 Corolla VE-B, 5spd, 270,000+ KM

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I checked everything out. I'm a qualified mechanic, but back in the days of carbs, pionts, lift pumps and cables!! long gone now i know. Alternator charged good and the battery posts were nice and clean. It has not done it again though. I'm wondering if the computer needed a few minuites to re-set after having no power. It does not seem likely, otherwise it would be a known problem for anyone that has ever changed a battery. I'll just see how it goes. Any more trouble and it's going straight to the dealer to be traded!!...this is not what comes from buying a Toyota

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Not sure if Toyota's CPU's do learn after loosing power, but it's possible, some GM's do that.
    1999 Corolla VE-B, 5spd, 270,000+ KM

Liked
    0 times

Once you disconnect the battery, the ECU will have to go through a complete learning cycle that will last approx. 200-300 miles.
    During that time, it will "learn" how much fuel to feed your engine, under a variety of temperatures, and load conditions.

I'm pretty sure this is covered in the owners manual, but if not, the dealer will be happy to explain the proper procedure for changing out a dead battery.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I justed changed the battery in my 2006 Camry and noticed the same thing! I changed the battery in the part store parking lot and when I went to drive away I noticed the low idle condition. Good to know this issue will go away (hopefully praying) soon! Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.