P0171 error on my 06 Corolla, hints?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: P0171 error on my 06 Corolla, hints?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default P0171 error on my 06 Corolla, hints?

Anyone else get this one? Too lean of a fuel mixture. Any hints to correct it?
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    34 times

Default Re: P0171 error on my 06 Corolla, hints?

There are 3 TSB's for this condition.

#1 is for a new engine ECU -- 8yr/80k miles warranty

#2 is for a INTAKE manifold GASKET in subfreezing conditions -- 3yr/36k mile warranty

#3 is for a A/F sensor (not O2) -- 3yr/36k mile warranty

You need a scan tool to be able to diagnose this, or just start replacing parts. I would start by going to the dealership and having the ECU replaced TSB EG041-07.

Good Luck
    Victor

bri
    Liked
    3 times

If the car is no longer under warranty and you want to troubleshoot this yourself, you want to start with #2 on Mustang's list. It's a $6 part, easy to change, and at least up in the part of the country, a common problem for the lean running condition. My 03 had this problem, even though it wouldn't throw an error code for it. I fought this for a long time before replacing the gasket and that fixed it. You can find the full TSB here:

http://toyota.justanswer.com/uploads...rolla_0171.pdf

If the car idles really rough between about 1/4 warmed up and fully warmed up in cold air temperatures (but idles fine when fully warm) then it's the intake gasket. You don't need to drain the collant for the TSB either, just plug the bypass lines on the throttle body while you have it apart. You'll loose a little collant which you'll need to replace.

Otherwise haul it to the dealer and let them deal with it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

this is the fix ,remove the air flow meter /af sensor and look inside at the wire that the air flows by if it has dirt or oil on it you need to clean it with brake cleaner and blow it dry with air low psi .this is a big problem we see with the corrolas and celicas your welcome

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the replies. On the day the Check Engine light came on when it snowed here in South East Texas (which happens rarely). I got the code from my code reader and then cleared it. It has not came back on, yet. I did not take it in to the dealership because I have over 64k miles. I've already had the ECU changed by the dealer because of a jerky shifting of gears problem.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have an 03 corolla that has had a fast idle since I purchased it about 2 years ago. Recently the CEL came on with a P0171 code. Mechanic replaced the TPS and light went off, but came back on after a couple days. After reading this thread and others about this problem with the 9th gen corolla, I did just as esracing advised and cleaned the MAF with brake cleaner. I started the car and the engine idled down within just a few seconds. Took it for a drive and got no CEL. This took care of my problem. Thanks
    Last edited by corollacel; 02-01-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: I did have the code wrong. It was P0171 lean. Thanks for the correction

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by corollacel View Post
    I have an 03 corolla that has had a fast idle since I purchased it about 2 years ago. Recently the CEL came on with a P0170 code. Mechanic replaced the TPS and light went off, but came back on after a couple days. After reading this thread and others about this problem with the 9th gen corolla, I did just as esracing advised and cleaned the MAF with brake cleaner. I started the car and the engine idled down within just a few seconds. Took it for a drive and got no CEL. This took care of my problem. Thanks
    Glad to hear the car is fixed , but it is a weird code (p0170 Rich or Lean). Toyota has not used that code since 1995, it doesn't apply to your 03. That code went away and was replaced with (p0171 Lean or p0172 Rich). Anyways glad you were able to fix it with help from everyone here at TS.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for correcting me mustang.....the code was P0171 lean.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I found a diagram showing the location of the air flow meter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toyota airflow meter.gif 
Views:	11370 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	38776  

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I cleaned off my air flow sensor and took a few pics. The wire had a coat of black stuff on it. Cleaned it off and idles and runs better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0 corolla 1.jpg 
Views:	5830 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	38828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0 corolla 2.jpg 
Views:	6857 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	38829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0 corolla 3.jpg 
Views:	12454 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	38830  

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I was confident too soon. About 400 miles after cleaning the MAF sensor the CEL is back. I guess my next move will be replacing the intake manifold gasket and/or getting a new MAF sensor. I noticed when I cleaned the old one last week that the wire has a small spot on it that looks like oxidation. Maybe that could be the problem. I'm going to work on it tomorrow.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

i keep getting this code on my 05 corolla and it is really annoying i clean the maf and still get it i used to have a short ram intake which gave me the code and now i removed it and installed my stock intake box and still get this p0171 code. i want to replace my maf but not sure if thats the problem because i see no issues with my car i think it may have a vacuum leak i dont know.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by CorollaGuy89 View Post
    i keep getting this code on my 05 corolla and it is really annoying i clean the maf and still get it i used to have a short ram intake which gave me the code and now i removed it and installed my stock intake box and still get this p0171 code. i want to replace my maf but not sure if thats the problem because i see no issues with my car i think it may have a vacuum leak i dont know.
    I had the same problem as you with my 06 corolla s, and It's really getting annoying. My MAF has needed replaced when I had sri on it like you had, then I went back to stock airbox and my MAF was then good, but I'm still getting a lean bank 1 code :-( P0171.. I've had it to the garage a couple times and they do not know where to start.. it's an 06 w/ 76,000 miles and according to Mustang, I should do #1 of his steps and see if that does anything. My rpm's flutter some when started and also after I put gas in my tank they seem to flutter again when I start the car back up. Any thoughts?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm going to do a new thread on this topic because it's old. I had this code P0171/lean mixture problem on my 2006 Corolla and I cleaned the MAP sensor as suggested. It occurred to me that this would be a good time to replace the air cleaner. Now bear with me - the code pops up in cold weather. Mice want to stay warm in cold weather..... so ..... when I removed the air cleaner, I found fluffs of material on the outboard side of the cleaner and 2 holes the size of a quarter in the air cleaner. I replaced the air cleaner. Since the intact air cleaner provides a certain amount of air resistance, the sensor is happy. If you have holes in the air cleaner, the sensor kicks the code because the mixture is lean due to too much air. Bottom line is check the air cleaner first for code P0171 and perhaps donate the rest of your air cleaner to a mouse. Elementary, my dear Watson. Hope this helps - Peter