trunk won't open

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: trunk won't open

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default trunk won't open

I have a 95 corolla, i tried to open the trunk, the key turned but it didnt open, and now the lock is stuck in the "open" position (turned horizontal). the inside lever also does nothing, im sure the release wire is caught somewhre but i have no idea how to get to it. any suggestions? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: trunk won't open

I have a '95 corolla and i had exactly the same problem this week!!!
    I just bough it and i have never been able to open the trunk w/ the key. How did you do it before?
    I know that you have an acces to the cable truth the rear seat by removing the plastic cover on the door frame (it is enough to remove the lower cover). But wasn't successfull doing it!
    Does anybody can help????

Thanks!

Celine

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My mother in law had the same problem. when her daughter used the car she tried to open the trunk with the key and it became stuck. when she finally wrestled it out the trunk still wouldn't open. Even the release lever was inoperable. It seams the lock cylinder had a broken pin so it needs replacing.
    How to get the trunk open you will need to drop the back seat and crawl into the trunk. Where the lock is, a metal rod called a "Linkage" is attached by a plastic hasp. You will need to pry this loose by pushing it away from the linkage bar. Then pull the linkage bar from the lock cylinder and push it towards the center of the trunk. This will open the trunk.
    To replace the lock cylinder the trunk "facing"(decorative panel on back) must be removed. To do this, the 10mm nuts must be removed and plastic retainer clips pushed out. This is not very easy and takes time and lots of patience. You might want to go to your dealer and have them do this.
    Hopefully this helps.
    Please respond so I know if my explanation was understandable.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

I had this a couple times. As your key wears it does not engage the pins as good. If the key slot is facing horizontal by turning to the left (at least on mine) it means that it is set in "valet" mode. This disables the cable also preventing a parking valet from accessing what is in your trunk (this presumes you gave him the valet key and not the master as they are cut different and that the seat backs were locked from inside the trunk). Spray some lubricant in the lock and use your spare (not worn as much) original key and jiggle it some, don't force it. My key is so worn at this point that I can barely utilize the function but my wifes key works fine.

She had actually opend the trunk with her key and partially engaged that function. I went through hell trying to figure out why the cable wouldn't work correctly. I was even able to replace the cable while partially engaged. When it didn't work right I finally discovered why.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.