Any common problems in the evap recovery system?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any common problems in the evap recovery system?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Any common problems in the evap recovery system?

Hey folks,

I've had our Corolla in at the dealer for a check engine light.

The first time, they said the gas cap was loose. Hah! It wasn't loose & the CEL came back the next day. I put a new gas cap on anyway, though.

This time they pulled codes P0441 and P0446 off of the computer. They say I need a new vapour pressure VSV and the charcoal cannister is very corroded and should be replaced. This is starting to add up... $$$

Anybody had experience with this one?

And does anyone know where the charcoal cannister is located on the Corolla? I'd like to see 'very corroded' meself before I shell out the extra $200 for a new one.

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Any common problems in the evap recovery system?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

thanks! I found it now (I was looking for a cylinder before).

the cannister is mostly plastic, this isn't corroded. but all the metal bits on the top are pretty rusted out.

Bill

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hi Billmcc64,

Guess you haven't been searching on-line much! Lot's of Toyota owner think there should be a recall, and that Toyota is stonewalling. Seems many, many Toyota Carbon Canister systems fail for various reasons. This seems especially for pre-03 models (after which they relocated the Canister to higher level than gas tank). With all the valves and road-debris back above rear axle-beam, no wonder dirt and water can effect the numerous hose connections and valves.

Anyway, yes OBD codes P0440, P0441, P0446 can all mean dealer replacement of the Carbon Canister. Going rate right now appears $265 for part and another $140 for Labor (if they charge the customary half-hr for OBD analysis). It's a crap shot if they really spot the cause or just know from experience that the Carbon Canister is problematic and replacing usually cures CEL. BTW, I also wasted $8 on new gas cap; that really is sucker move (but everyone feels obliged).

PS - My OBD readout for 2000 Corolla was only P0446, and yes, the replacement of Carbon Canister (which comes with two VSV) did make the CEL stay away. Cost at Dealer was $411 total.

Just try to minimize damage and don't thank Toyota for their premature failed system.

Newer not always better!!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I've got a 2005 Corolla with 37000 miles and my CEL just lit up. I brought it in and after paying $85 they told me it was code P0456 and I needed a new Charcoal Cannister for $455. He told me it was faulty and it happens; and once I replace I should never have to do it again. To me, it sounds like its a defect but I'm 1000 miles past my warranty so they says its my responsibility. So, no I'm frustrated with the dealer and wonder if I should just have my local garage take care of this.
    I guess this is more of complaint vs a question. But I thought I would post just because it seems that this is not uncommon.

Any thoughts?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My Toyota Corolla 99 got P0441 yesterday, dealer said no need to have further work up. I feel unsafe with the CEL on all the time.
    Toyota extended warranty covers for Toyota Corolla 99?

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

This post is probably too late for the original poster, but hopefully it will help others. My fiance's mom had a problem with her Evap canister, so I did a little checking online. This seems to be a common problem and the EPA actually filed a suit against Toyota. It only applies to 1996-1998 models. It extends the warranty on the evap emissions control system to 14 years 150,000 miles.

Unfortunatly my fiance's mom's car is a 1999, so it isn't covered by the extended warranty. Apparently Toyota made some change in 1999 that got around the EPA's requirements, but they didn't actually fix the faulty evap system. So the evap systems on 1999-2003 Corollas still fail prematurely, but are not covered under the extended warranty. Cost my fiance's mom a small fortune to have it fixed.

Other 1996-1998 models including the 4-Runner, Rav-4, Camry, Avalon and a few Lexus models are also included in this extended warranty. You can go to this website for more details. When you call Toyota about this extended warranty, they will deny that it exists. You have to be very persistant and refer them to the website before they will acknowledge it. Good luck.

Toyota Motor Corporation OBD Settlement - Compliance and Enforcement - U.S. EPA

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Dexterous,

Do you happen to have a diagram of the 2005 Corolla's Charcoal Canister? or is it the same as the diagram you posted?

mhm
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I own a 2000 corolla with just over 110,000 miles and my CEL light came on as well. Autozone checks the CEL for free, and the same codes came up for the EVAP canister. The problem with the canister is that it lies below the tank, so fluid sits in the canister and damages the inside.

A couple people asked whether it was necessary to get a new one. It is, for a couple reasons.

1. In most states, if your CEL is on, they automatically will not give you a clean smog inspection.
    2. The EVAP canister dehumidifies the air in the mixture. So especially in humid climates, its important to keep the air dry.

So, get it fixed, but try to buy the part and do the work yourself.

Once you get it in though, there are a couple of things you can do to prolong its life.

First of all, always get the gascap on at least three clicks. This will prevent the CEL from reading false codes again and will prevent backflow.
    Also, NEVER top off your tank. When you do this, the gas is much more likely to backflow past the sensor and into the canister, restarting corrosion and bringing back that CEL.

Hope this helps!

J.D
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by billmcc64 View Post
    Hey folks,

I've had our Corolla in at the dealer for a check engine light.

The first time, they said the gas cap was loose. Hah! It wasn't loose & the CEL came back the next day. I put a new gas cap on anyway, though.

This time they pulled codes P0441 and P0446 off of the computer. They say I need a new vapour pressure VSV and the charcoal cannister is very corroded and should be replaced. This is starting to add up... $$$

Anybody had experience with this one?

And does anyone know where the charcoal cannister is located on the Corolla? I'd like to see 'very corroded' meself before I shell out the extra $200 for a new one.

Bill

Hey there,

My 2005 corolla has now been in the shop for the past week as they try to figure out the problem with the evap recovery system. At first they thought it was the charcoal filter. They changed it and it the CEL still came on. Next they replaced the fuel filler neck. I took it hope and 1 day later the engine light came back on.

Anyone else having this problem on their '05? This should be a recall.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

We can add a 2007 to the list.. my sister's 07 Corolla's CEL came on. The dealer reset the codes and told her if it comes on again we'll have to get Toyota involved. Fortunately she has the extended warranty and they gave her a 2010 loaner without asking.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I've been having the 41 and 46 codes the last couple of weeks on my 99 Corolla. Luckily, I have my own code reader that clears codes. I clear them, they come back within a couple of days. I checked the gas cap of course, as that is what many searches on this show up. This was the first place where I found any estimates on cost. I have just over 200k miles on my Corolla, the only major problem prior to this was I had to replace the starter, pretty easy once I figured out exactly where all of the bolts were. Anyway, has anyone on here done this fix before? I've read on some other sites that there could be a number of components causing these codes. Just looking to see if anyone has done this and how hard it was. I have no doubt that I could do it, but finding the time to do it is the trick.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

What's an Evap Recovery System? How does it relate to the Charcoal Canister?

We have a 2005 Toyota Corolla. It has 26,000 miles.

CEL light came on about two weeks ago.

They replaced the charcoal canister. $600

About 10 days later the CEL light comes on again. This time, they say the gas cap wasn't tightened. When we inspected the gas cap we figured out it wouldn't tighten at all any more!

We brought it back and now they want to replace the fuel filler neck.

We asked how the fuel filler neck got broken. Obviously, there is mechnical damage if the gas cap won't go on anymore. The assistant service manager is investigating and will let us know tomorrow morning.

We've had 6 Toyotas. We've had 1 Honda. I must say for follow through on issues Toyota has never been good. Honda has been better.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

HI All,
    I just retired my 99 corolla for a 2007 corolla. My 99 corolla used to have the exact same CEL / charcoal canister issues. I really think the underlying issues is due to a check valve associated with fuel filler neck failing and people topping ( overfilling) the gas tank. The check valve is supposed to allow vapors to move but block liquid fuel from flowing into the canister. When the valve fails and you over fill your tank gasoline flows into the canister and sets' off the evap codes. I fixed the problem by the following: Reset CEL. Dont overfill the tank. When the gas pump clicks off, hang up the pump, dont round it off. After several drive / purge cycles the canister will dry out and the CEL will stay out. I never replaced my canister!

Best regards!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by swooper77 View Post
    This post is probably too late for the original poster, but hopefully it will help others. My fiance's mom had a problem with her Evap canister, so I did a little checking online. This seems to be a common problem and the EPA actually filed a suit against Toyota. It only applies to 1996-1998 models. It extends the warranty on the evap emissions control system to 14 years 150,000 miles.

Unfortunatly my fiance's mom's car is a 1999, so it isn't covered by the extended warranty. Apparently Toyota made some change in 1999 that got around the EPA's requirements, but they didn't actually fix the faulty evap system. So the evap systems on 1999-2003 Corollas still fail prematurely, but are not covered under the extended warranty. Cost my fiance's mom a small fortune to have it fixed.

Other 1996-1998 models including the 4-Runner, Rav-4, Camry, Avalon and a few Lexus models are also included in this extended warranty. You can go to this website for more details. When you call Toyota about this extended warranty, they will deny that it exists. You have to be very persistant and refer them to the website before they will acknowledge it. Good luck.

Toyota Motor Corporation OBD Settlement - Compliance and Enforcement - U.S. EPA

Thanks so much swoop!!! I am 6 months pregnant this is my first car inspection I will be attempting to get in my life. Usually the cars I buy die because of a bad engine I cant afford to replace before the inspection is due. I end up forced to get another pre-owned vehicle. I think this car might have hope now and its not a lemon. I was told I wont pass inspection with a check engine light. So months ago it was diagnosed at auto zone as being the same issue as you and this warranty seems valid on my vehicle!!!! At least as far as I have checked. My inspection is up this month so if I can get the check engine off then I can legally operate my vehicle. Did I mention my car runs out of gas fast and it smells like gas sometimes....Just as the link stated wich i have printed and will present to toyota tomarrow with my request to fix it free.... I will post an update tomarrow... Also the next day after I picked up this car the check engine light came on that was maybe 7 months ago. I am still making payments on my car and my dealer says its ok! grrr! but now maybe thier is hope

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-03-2014, 03:02 PM
  2. 12-16-2013, 01:42 PM
  3. 10-07-2013, 10:38 AM
  4. 09-21-2013, 08:16 AM
  5. 07-27-2013, 02:14 PM
  6. 02-21-2013, 06:19 PM
  7. 02-15-2013, 11:53 PM
  8. 01-11-2013, 10:52 AM
  9. 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM
  10. 11-16-2012, 10:39 AM
  11. 08-27-2012, 02:52 PM