Info on changing 2003 front wheel bearings?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Info on changing 2003 front wheel bearings?

Liked
    0 times

Cool Info on changing 2003 front wheel bearings?

I think I need to change the front wheel bearing on my daughters 2003 Corolla because it is making a very noticable roar that varies in pitch and volume as the speed changes. It has new correct size tires, no fluid drips anywhere, good brakes, it just makes this noise that has me worried. The latest Haynes book says that the bearings are a press fit in the hub and that the replacement should be done by a "professional". Thats nice but I can't afford a "professional" when I can do the job myself as I have done on all the Toyotas, Mazdas, Chevys, and Fords that I've owned in the past 40 years. I was quite suprised when the Toyota parts guy told me the factory service manuals (2) cost $175.00, hence the Haynes book. So, my question is " Does anyone have the proper procedure in detail for replacing the front wheel bearings on a 2003 Corolla, for the layman. What I am most interested in knowing is what stupid thing NOT to do. Any help would be apprectiated.

thanks, randyb

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times

Default Re: Info on changing 2003 front wheel bearings?

sorry, can't help with solving your problem.... ;-( don't have any experience in this area.

i do however have a 2003 corolla myself so i am naturally a bit suspicious why such a relatively new vechicle would already need wheel bearings. do you suspect a factory defect or does it have excessive high miles? just curious ;-)

i guess i would be more suspicious of the brakes. have you tried jacking up the front and turning the wheels one at a time to isolate the problem and sound?

i'm sure someone with more experience can answer the specifics of the how-to question for you (us).
    2004 Tundra DC Limited Phantom Perl Gray w/ Oak Leather Interior (power sunroof, Kazuma TRD LSD, Advance 4 panel hard tonneau cover, Hellwig antisway bar, lighted running boards, dual battery setup with 1500 watt 120 volt power inverter, additional 'always-on' 12 volt outlets, aftermarket dual zone heated seat kits, Blizzack W965 LT235/85R16 winter tires on stock steel rims, JBA cat-forward titanium ceramic coated headers, tinted front driver's and passenger's windows, alignment to DJ's specs, Roadmaster VR-3 backup camera, Waeco 12 volt fridge/freezer, and, the best for last.... black rubber floor mats from Sams.) Recently added: baby seat!

Wish list: too long, wife would kill me!

2003 Corolla (bone stock, but well loved and cared for!)

"Expect the impossible."
    - JC and the Brothers of Thunder

Liked
    0 times

Wish I could help on this one, but although I have several Toyotas, none of them are Corollas. I did change a pressed-in wheel bearing on an Echo, and while it was a tedious job, there was nothing special about it. It was necessary to have a hydraulic press, and I found that the outer race from one of the old bearings was excellent for pressing in the new ones. Of course, to do the job it was necessary to remove the steering knuckle from the car, so the control arm and tie rod end had to come out, as well as disconnecting the half-shaft from the knuckle (but you knew that )

Did you try other Toyota forums, like Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Well i have an 05 corolla and just had the front right wheel bearing replaced after putting new tires on the car at 54k, all highway driving in NE and I still have a weird sound coming from the front end, I believe the other bearing needs replacing.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Interesting ---I have an 05 Vibe (a matrix), AWD that's in the shop right now for a front left bearing, but a friend of mine who is a tranny guy INSISTS that its the front transfer case. I've never known a transmission noise to sound like a tire noise, but I was fooled into thinking it was a tire problem ... the tire store sent me back to the dealer who says its the bearing. So ...being a gambling man, I'll risk $250 to see if its NOT the tranny. What were your symptoms?