How Renew Faded Paint & Clear Coat?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Renew Faded Paint & Clear Coat?

bhw
    Liked
    7 times

Question How Renew Faded Paint & Clear Coat?

My wife's 95 Honda Passport looks bad. The roof and hood are fading..........quickly. The clear coat started turning chalky last year, and it has spread rapidly. A new paint job is $2500-5000. The car isn't worth that much. Other than getting a crappy Maco $500 paint job, are any of the products that claim to renew faded paint worth the price? I've seen numerous products that claim to restore shine to old paint. Basically the black paint is still there, but the clear coat makes it look like it's grey. When you wet it, it turns black momentarily. Someone mentioned to me that I might be able to have it buffed and polished, then keep a coat of wax on it quite regularly. This would help it "look" better. I'm loking for a consensus of ideas from people with experience. I'd like to avoid a paintjob on this older vehicle if at all possible. But the wife likes the car, and wants to drive it till the wheels fall off........or the body rusts off, whichever comes first.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Joe
    Liked
    3 times

Once your clear coat is damaged there is nothing on the market that I know of that will "repair" it. Some paint shops say they can repair the spots by re-painting just that section by "feathering" the paint in. I've seen a couple vehicles in the Phoenix area that had that procedure done and to me it was very noticeable but at a distance it looked ok. Don't use a polish on the spots as that will only add to the problem. Waxing doesn't help much as it will just continue to degrade as time goes on. The sun is now your clear coats biggest enemy.

bhw
    Liked
    7 times

Oh well........I'd rather "clean it up" and trade it in, but the wife wants to keep it.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: How to cover/renew faded paint and clear coat?

Originally posted by bhw
    My wife's 95 Honda Passport looks bad. The roof and hood are fading..........quickly. The clear coat started turning chalky last year, and it has spread rapidly. A new paint job is $2500-5000. The car isn't worth that much. Other than getting a crappy Maco $500 paint job, are any of the products that claim to renew faded paint worth the price? I've seen numerous products that claim to restore shine to old paint. Basically the black paint is still there, but the clear coat makes it look like it's grey. When you wet it, it turns black momentarily. Someone mentioned to me that I might be able to have it buffed and polished, then keep a coat of wax on it quite regularly. This would help it "look" better. I'm loking for a consensus of ideas from people with experience. I'd like to avoid a paintjob on this older vehicle if at all possible. But the wife likes the car, and wants to drive it till the wheels fall off........or the body rusts off, whichever comes first.
    Unfortunately, you're kind of screwed in regards to the paint.

But you might find (if you look at their work) that a maco paint job isn't that much and the results are "okay".

It's better than nothing.

However, don't expect the new paint to last more than 5 years unless you "take care of it" with regular waxing.

If you go that route, look at the results of other vehicle they've done and work backward from there.

Some guys do a good job even though they have to rush it to get it done for the price you pay. I had a van that was painted by them and they actually did a pretty decent job.

Don't expect a $2,000 paint job, but it will look better.

Alan

Liked
    32 times
    Images

Default try this.....

Buy a few products in small quanities and try them on small area's of the car see what works and go with it.

Or better yet borrow some and try. I probably would try to compound (very mild)in a small out the way place first. See if it cleans up the chaulky paint.
    I would try as many things as possible before buying a paint job. Whats the harm.....

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How Renew Faded Paint & Clear Coat?

Hello,
    I sure hope you found a solution for the faded paint/UV damage. I have the same problem.
    Thanks,
    Deb

Liked
    2 times

I would buff the entire truck with Meguiars Ultimate Compound and then follow up with a layer or two of regular wax. That compound works wonders from what I have seen. Good luck. By the way dont bother with Maaco and their cheap paint job, in a year it will be flaking off.
    2007 Tundra DC SR5 5.7L V8

Liked
    0 times
    Images

If your clear coat is just chalky/oxidized I would try a wash, clay then some Meguiars M105 followed by M205 and then a sealant/wax. As someone mentioned, if you are not sure to the actual condition of your clear try it on a small inconspicuous area first. If you have areas without clear you will not be able to repair them with these methods, and will just make a bigger mess.

Could you include some actual pictures of the problem areas? Is the clear actually coming off or is it just chalky? If your current paint is "repairable" you will be much more happy with the results of a good polish/wax combo than a Maco paint job.
    Last edited by 07bsmcrewmax; 01-13-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Liked
    0 times

I've had very good luck on a couple of friends vehicles with 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Try a small out of the way spot and see how it works. Friend had a very oxidized ford f150, I sanded then followed up with a good cleaner/scratch remover wax and some good polish. The results were amazing.

Good luck
    Mike

Liked
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by retcav1sg View Post
    I've had very good luck on a couple of friends vehicles with 2000 grit wet sandpaper. Try a small out of the way spot and see how it works. Friend had a very oxidized ford f150, I sanded then followed up with a good cleaner/scratch remover wax and some good polish. The results were amazing.

Good luck
    Mike
    Wetsanding is something that should not be taken this lightly. Even I, with the better part of 7 years of experience, still take wetsanding very seriously. 2000 grit should be followed by 3000 grit, and then heavy buffing, then lighter buffing, then polishing.

Its effective, but takes experience and the proper tools.
    2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4 AC
    Exterior: Trd Off-Road package, Trd Skid Plate, Borla Side Exit Exhaust, 15% Llumar tint, Enkei Deep Six 20's, 285/50/20 Cooper LTZ, Bilstein 5100's, Camburg UCA's, Toytec add-a-leaf, UWS Lo-Pro Toolbox, Wilson 1000.
    Interior: Alpine 9851, CDT 6.5" components, Alpine MRP-F240, MRD-M300, ED SQ 10, Galaxy 959 CB, Yaesu VX-5R, HK USP 9mm.

Showroom Shine Details
    Premium Automotive Detailing
    www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by bhw View Post
    Oh well........I'd rather "clean it up" and trade it in, but the wife wants to keep it.
    I may have an idea for you, but first I need you to try a simple procedure, find some cooking oil, Mazola or such like, put some on a cloth and wipe it across a small area, don't worry about washing it off, it will evaporate on it's own. Now here's the question, did this make it look better? If the answer is yes, I can point you in the direction of a product that will make it look like that permanently. You can do it yourself for less than a $100.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Saab View Post
    I may have an idea for you, but first I need you to try a simple procedure, find some cooking oil, Mazola or such like, put some on a cloth and wipe it across a small area, don't worry about washing it off, it will evaporate on it's own. Now here's the question, did this make it look better? If the answer is yes, I can point you in the direction of a product that will make it look like that permanently. You can do it yourself for less than a $100.

Please point me in that direction !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 07-07-2013, 03:28 PM
  2. 06-13-2011, 08:11 AM