Did my first full detail of my truck over the past two days. It takes a LONG TIME to do a whole crewmax!
I essentially followed Brandon's tutorial:
901 wash to get started, followed by meguires clay.
I purchased Autogeek's "Intermediate Swirl Remover" kit, hoping the XMT #3 (on an orange cutting pad) would take out the many, many light scratches I have in my truck. It went a long way towards making them look better, but there are plenty I could not get out with that compound.
These are light scratches, can't feel them at all, and can only see them in sideways light. But I was wondering if anyone could recomend a more aggressive compound? It did a really nice job taking out water spots and lessening the appearance of some of the deeper scratches.
Continued on with the XMT #1, which seemed maybe superflous. The #3 didn't leave much micromarring, but I figured I had it, why not use it? I then skipped the XMT glaze and went on to the DG 652.
I don't really know that the 652 did much either. Here is where I started getting tired, and it shows. I missed some spots buffing out the 652, so when I came along with the 105, I sealed in some streaks. I ended up buffing by hand, because I just couldn't seem to get it done with the microfiber bonnets.. they'd just sort of grab the polish and freeze while the PC vibrated. I need to experiment more with between-stage buffing.. it's very frustrating to be buffing out the 'LSP' and realize the streaks you're working on are two layers down.
Finished off with Aquawax and a final hand buff. My shoulder is really sore.
This is going to lead to an obsession, I can see. I've already found a niche in the truck to keep a micro and the aquawax.
Here are my notes for everyone to learn from:
1) Start early on a day off. I ended up spending about 7 hours total on my crewmax, and I haven't even cleaned the polish off the trim yet.
2) Take your rings off! Luckily I realized this as I was washing the windshield, not the hood.
3) As mentioned, buff thoroughly between stages. Then use your biggest mirco to whipe the polish dust away.
4) Have a lot of micros. I had a big waffle towel for drying and dusting, and went through 8 smaller ones. One for each product, plus two I dropped on the ground.
5) Be very careful with the hose and PC power cord. I found that running the cord over my shoulder kept it from dragging the ground then dragging grit across the paint.
So now I have a big bucket stuffed with product, and would usually call it a year.. but I think I'm going to do it all over again once someone recomends a better compound!
I'll see about posting some pictures tomorrow, too.