Removing Swirls (Spider Webbing) - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Removing Swirls (Spider Webbing)

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

I'd telephone Meguiar's and ask about the spiderwebbing----1-800-347-5700. You don't necessarily have to use their products, but from the descriptions at www.meguiars.com you can find other brands of products that do a similar job.

I take a different tack from TRDKEAU. I don't want to spend that much time working on my car & truck's finishes. I use a car shampoo in the wash water, and twice a year (sometimes I'm lazy and wax once a year) I do a two-step process...Meguiar's Medallion cleaner and one of Meguiar's topcoats...Mediallion Paint Protection, or #20 Polymer Sealant, or maybe the new NXT Wax. If I want an easy one-step process, I use Nu-Finish or something like Meguiar's #6 Cleaner/Wax.

I know, stuff like Nu-Finish contains abrasives and doesn't give a good a shine as a product like Blackfire or Zaino, but is sure is easy, looks darned good, and lasts about a year. I always use Nu-Finish on the wheels, anyway. I use 303-protectant on the vinyl, inside & out, and would use it on the tires if I bothered with them. Use your vinyl dressing on the exterior vinyl trim before you polish and wax, and it'll minimize the white stuff on the vinyl. 303 is the least glossy product I've found for the dash. Lexol Vinylex is my 2nd favorite for interior vinyl, and I use Lexol leather stuff for the seats. If the leather is really bad, I use Harness Honey

I'm now maintaining four vehicles in the family fleet. I may start buying car finish products from a place like http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/index.htm

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Those tips ive only done once, and it took along time! Ive done many times to customers cars in my teenage detailing years, I personally only use Eagle one wax as you dry.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRanger
    Here is a CLK 430 i did with #83 and a PC, the specs you see are ash from the SD fires, but the product speaks for itself.
    Wow, that looks great. I'll have to try that on JnEsMomma's Camry.

Like TRDKeau, I use EagleOne wet wax....
    - Mark
    Just a hangin' out.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by TRDKEAU
    use a mitt, you dont need soap, dry with a chamois. .
    Im gonna have to disagree with you here, you DO NEED SOAP when washing your car, that is the whole point. Soaps main purpose is to provide lubricancy between your sponge and the dirt on your trucks paint surface, so you can lift the dirt off the surface without marring the paint. If your just wiping it down with a mitt and water, in essence you are just rubbing the dirt into your paint and creating more swirl marks. Soap is one of the main keys to avoid spiderwebbing, the more slick your soap is, the better.
    04 Tundra, Hoes, Uni's, Spintech, 285s + other misc. bling items.

Liked
    0 times

And to reinforce the 2 sponge method, look at my rinse bucked on a rather clean car, this thing really wasnt that dirty! Now, would you really want to dip into that rinse bucket and rub more dirt into your cars paint? I didnt think so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_IMG_2134.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	2510  

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRanger
    Im gonna have to disagree with you here, you DO NEED SOAP when washing your car, that is the whole point. Soaps main purpose is to provide lubricancy between your sponge and the dirt on your trucks paint surface, so you can lift the dirt off the surface without marring the paint. If your just wiping it down with a mitt and water, in essence you are just rubbing the dirt into your paint and creating more swirl marks. Soap is one of the main keys to avoid spiderwebbing, the more slick your soap is, the better.
    that all depends on 3 things....

1. how dirty your truck is.

2. what kind of wash mitt, sponge you use.

3. type of soap

If youve just been booging or have caked mud on your truck, soap should be used to break up mud and dirt cake. Weekly california washing, no big deal. The surface of the mitt will cause more spider webbing than anything else. Drive thrus, brushes ,and coarse sponges are notorious for swirls.

Soap is a good lube, but keeping the truck wet while washing and rinsing is the biggest concern. De-ionized is key, especially on hot days. Soap has a few problems...

1. if it dries, leaves residue.

2. if it hardens, just as bad as hard water spots or any other caked surfaces.

3. ALWAYS use liquid soap.. 2 drops of dawn will do wonders, any powder detergent will likely scratch you paint sometimes down to the clear coat.

And even when you take all the steps to preventing spider webbing, it will still happen eventually. Meguiars, mothers and 3m make great swirl polish that should take out your webs.

Im done talking about detailing, i like leaving my truck dirty.

Liked
    7 times

I agree with blue ranger, I always use soap on my truck, ALWAYS. I mainly use carwashing soap, as dawn will not provide sheeting action and it will ruin your wax. I am pretty good at washing and polishing cars, but I diddent know if swirl polish would get rid of spiderwebbing. Thanks, I will go pick up some meguiers #83 this weekend.
    2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4 AC
    Exterior: Trd Off-Road package, Trd Skid Plate, Borla Side Exit Exhaust, 15% Llumar tint, Enkei Deep Six 20's, 285/50/20 Cooper LTZ, Bilstein 5100's, Camburg UCA's, Toytec add-a-leaf, UWS Lo-Pro Toolbox, Wilson 1000.
    Interior: Alpine 9851, CDT 6.5" components, Alpine MRP-F240, MRD-M300, ED SQ 10, Galaxy 959 CB, Yaesu VX-5R, HK USP 9mm.

Showroom Shine Details
    Premium Automotive Detailing
    www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Liked
    0 times

I would recomend #82 over #83, unless you have some really bad marring. 83 has diminishing aprasives, which really need to be worked into the paint, ie killing your hand. 82 is a more friendly hand application. I still need to get some 82, I made the mistake of buying #9 instead of 82, kinda pissed about that. Also, if you want to learn more about detailing, cruze over to autopia.org, they have more info then you could ever wish for. JnEsPappa, thankx for the compliment, appreciate that. Good luck with your swirls, post some pics!

-Bryan

BTW, what color is your truck brandon?

Liked
    0 times

Default I think i have swirls...how do i take them out.

I'm trying to make my paint look like it came off the lot. My hood is fine but when I get to my fenders it looks really cloudy kind of like swirls but I don't know. How do i take these out? Also from when I debadged I still have a little residue leftover. What is good to take those out?
    Former Tundra Owner.Now Driving a 2001 Corvette.
    www.marketchasers.com
    My stock market blog and forum based on technical analysis, pattern day trading, core fundamental long term investing and effects of both micro and macro economics.

Liked
    0 times

Start with the mildest thing you have/can get. I would try something like 3M Swirl Mark Remover, then if you need to get more agressive you can go to the next step up (I think FinesseIt II).

Liked
    0 times

To get the residue from the badges off, I recommed Goo-gone. It is citrus based and you can find it at Walmart. Small bottles are often hanging by the check out lines, or I believe you can find it back with the general house hold cleaners, maybe in the hardware section. I have also found it at Home Depot back in the area with solvents and cleaners.

Not only does it do a great job on that badge residue, but it works great on bugs and tar as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123