Spots on windshield

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spots on windshield

Liked
    7 times

Default Spots on windshield

Whenever my truck is facing directly into the sun, there are tons of little spots all over the windshield. I have tried cleaning, polishing, scraping. Cant get them off, its almost like they are embedded into the glass.

Can you claybar windows, that might take care of it?
    2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4 AC
    Exterior: Trd Off-Road package, Trd Skid Plate, Borla Side Exit Exhaust, 15% Llumar tint, Enkei Deep Six 20's, 285/50/20 Cooper LTZ, Bilstein 5100's, Camburg UCA's, Toytec add-a-leaf, UWS Lo-Pro Toolbox, Wilson 1000.
    Interior: Alpine 9851, CDT 6.5" components, Alpine MRP-F240, MRD-M300, ED SQ 10, Galaxy 959 CB, Yaesu VX-5R, HK USP 9mm.

Showroom Shine Details
    Premium Automotive Detailing
    www.ShowroomShineNC.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

If its embedded into the glass nothing you put on it is going to get rid of the imperfections, think about it You can head to your local hardware store like Home Depot and look for some industrial strength glass cleaners and see what they have. You can also try using a cleaner wax most people dont know you can wax your windows and it wont harm them just make sure you remove all the wax properly. Cleans them better than Windex ever will. I also suggest everyone who reads this buy a bottle of Rain-X Wax and get a few good coats going on your windows. Even if you dont live where it rains alot the Rain-X also helps keep the glass cleaner and helps remove dirt and scum much easier for the life of the glass.
    2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L v8 4wd TRD Limited

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1
    Whenever my truck is facing directly into the sun, there are tons of little spots all over the windshield. I have tried cleaning, polishing, scraping. Cant get them off, its almost like they are embedded into the glass.

Can you claybar windows, that might take care of it?
    It's more likely what you have is etched/pitted glass from rocks, sand etc. Happens to every car just like the paint chips all over your front end. www.properautocare.com has the spray clay that is supposed to help a lot getting the junk out of them. From there they also have a glass polishing kit but if it's chipped there's just not much your gonna do to get rid of them short of new windshield.

Liked
    7 times

I have a high deductable, 500, a new window would cost me 250. But anyway, I havent tried to clay my window, I will definatly try that tonight. Thanks
    2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4 AC
    Exterior: Trd Off-Road package, Trd Skid Plate, Borla Side Exit Exhaust, 15% Llumar tint, Enkei Deep Six 20's, 285/50/20 Cooper LTZ, Bilstein 5100's, Camburg UCA's, Toytec add-a-leaf, UWS Lo-Pro Toolbox, Wilson 1000.
    Interior: Alpine 9851, CDT 6.5" components, Alpine MRP-F240, MRD-M300, ED SQ 10, Galaxy 959 CB, Yaesu VX-5R, HK USP 9mm.

Showroom Shine Details
    Premium Automotive Detailing
    www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Liked
    2 times
    Images

You can try the clay but I don't think it will get into the pits. It's made to get embedded particles off by shearing them. The Diamondite spray clay ( http://www.properautocare.com/dispcla.html ) gets into the pits and the scubber also gets in to clean the junk out.

Banned
    Liked
    2 times
    Images

Default headlights pit too

someone really need's to invent something that will stop this so called pitting not only does this affect glass but also the headlights on the tundra.I just replaced one headlight side because of the pitting each headlight cost about $179 per side it get's costly My glass on my tundra on the ppg also had this problem that was intill i replaced it from a glass accident (brick hit's glass on freeway ).

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TUNDRAV8GEORGIA
    someone really need's to invent something that will stop this so called pitting not only does this affect glass but also the headlights on the tundra.I just replaced one headlight side because of the pitting each headlight cost about $179 per side it get's costly My glass on my tundra on the ppg also had this problem that was intill i replaced it from a glass accident (brick hit's glass on freeway ).
    X-pel, invisiguard, Invincashield, stonegard etc. Buy it from one of the TS members in the vendors section or Performance Products or local shop. It's THICK vinyl material for the lights to prevent them from breaking when a rock hits it works just as well for the small stuff.

Just searched and found this Anybody tried the 3M Clear Bra or Similar Product not sure if he's still posting or still offering the discounts that he was but always worth asking.

fox
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Spots on Windshield

On both my '96 Avalon and my '94 Lexus, I have the same problem. It is internal to the glass. I suspect that Toyota is using metal particulates in the liquid glass to provide tinting. As the glass ages, the particles crystalize slightly and make the sparkles in the windshield. It's just a guess.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.