Rust Proofing/Undercoating

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rust Proofing/Undercoating

Liked
    0 times

Question Rust Protection???

For all you TS guys living in snow country:

I currently live in Florida but will be moving to New Hampshire this January. I'm concerned that my Tundra is going to rust away with all the salt used on the roadways during the winter months.

When I ordered my Tundra in 2000, I did not get the "mandatory" undercoating typical of most Toyotas sold in the Southeast Toyota region ($699 option). I'm wondering if I made a big a$$ mistake?

I have a few questions to ask you guys:

1 - Should I have my Tundra undercoated? What can I expect to pay?

2 - Where can I have undercoating applied?

3 - Has anyone heard of or used electronic rust protection? Look at http://www.importexporthelp.com/electroshield.htm and
    -- If so, was it effective at preventing any rust from forming on
    your vehicles?

The cost of the electronic rust protection ($147) seems well worth it.....or is this just another gimmick?

4 - How do I go about washing my truck in the dead of winter? Wouldn't the wipers, doors, etc. freeze???

Thanks for your help!!!

BamBam

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

hrmmmmmm.

my advice?

stay in Florida Bam Bam. I lived in Pa. for 5 years a while back.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

hehehe.

besides.....ya gotta love being able to walk outside in shorts and a t-shirt in January to wash your vehicle.

Seriously though...wish I could help, but you need a true snowbird's advice.
    Stock
    2002 2wd Sequoia Ltd.~ Imperial Jade Green~Woodgrain Package~JBL 6-disc in dash w/ 10 speakers

Mods
    ~JL Audio Stealthbox~JL Audio 250/1 Monoblock Amp~Cargologic cargo mat~Grillcraft Sport Grille~Weathertech Weatherflectors~Alpine "XM Radio" controller & tuner~Panasonic 7" Dropdown DVD/MP3/CD Player~"Sequoia" Door Sill Protectors~Windows Tinted~OEM Cargo Cover~Badges Removed

Liked
    0 times

Unhappy

SulVento

No can do....the wife must get her New England fix before I get too old to shovel snow and rake leaves . We purchased a home in southern New Hampshire last year.....I'm commited or should I say "I should be committed" ???

BamBam

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question rust proofing

Does anyone recommend rustproofing? Can a national chain like ziebart do a good job or is it better to have the dealer do it?

Liked
    0 times

Not recommended. AFAIK, it will void the factory body warranty. Aftermarket rustproofing (even done at the dealer) will seal in everything that happened to collect on the surfaces.

The best protection against rust is frequent washing, keep the body drains clear, and do NOT store your vehicle in a heated garage.
    2008 Tacoma 2.7 RC Base
    2003 SR5 TRD V8 <<< Sold 2005
    Better Built toolbox / Limited leather / Power outlet mod / RS3200 Plus / Rebadged w/TRD / Bully Nerf bars / '05 OEM Taillights / Clear corners / Factory Woodgrain kit / Gentex EC Mirror / Gaylord's Toolbox-Lid / MB Overdrives / Muthco Signal Mirrors / Sport Grille / TRD Dual Exhaust / Camry Nav System

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Originally posted by Rlockyer
    ..... and do NOT store your vehicle in a heated garage.
    Why should you NOT store your vehicle in a heated garage? Just curious.

I keep both of my vehicles garaged. While it is not heated, it is under my house (and underground) and does stay a comfortable temperature. I have two inch thick insulated garage doors which help keep the weather out.

Jeff

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Default Re: Rust Protection???

Originally posted by malswift
    [B]
    4 - How do I go about washing my truck in the dead of winter? Wouldn't the wipers, doors, etc. freeze???
    I hope you purchased a house with a heated garage.

1) wash it in your driveway then bring it in the garage for drying. You may find a day here and there where the weather gets above frezzing. Wear rubber gloves while washing. You do not have to be as picky in the winter about getting it clean since it will usually get dirty again the next day.

2)Take it to a car wash and then drive it home and dry it in the garage. Same as number one but you do not get your hands cold.

3) Use the bucket method to wash your car inside your garage. You can do this if the temp is really cold. Keep changing the water in those buckets!

4) Don't wash it. Give it a good washing and waxing at the end of fall and then run it all winter. When spring comes you'll probably spend an entire weekend cleaning and detailing it. This might not be the best option, but it is an option.

Good Luck,
    Jeff

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm also curious about the garage.

More importantly, I am surprised on the recommendation that rustproofing is bad for the vehicle. I live in Pittsburgh and spend 5 months out of the year with salt on the roads. You can wash this off and two minutes later the entire car is covered with the stuff. Almost anyone here that cares about the longevity of their vehicle have it rust proofed. It is almost a given. Obviously I need to research this in more detail before making this choice. Thanks for your input rlockyer.

Does anyone in the snow belt have any comments?

To rlockyer: Do you distinguish between rustproofing doors/etc. and undercoating for the vehicle?

Liked
    0 times

Default Rustproofing

I live near Ottawa, Ont. Canada where we probably use more salt than just about anywhere. I rustproof the vehicle every year and am a firm believer in the treatment, but it has to be done well.
    The reason for no heated garage...you couldn't ask for more rapid salt action when in the warmth. Regards, Dave

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Rustproofing

Originally posted by Montfort
    The reason for no heated garage...you couldn't ask for more rapid salt action when in the warmth.
    And that is your final answer

Quite correct, and not JUST if the roads are salted, as there are corrosives in anything that collects on the bottom of our trucks.
    2008 Tacoma 2.7 RC Base
    Better Built toolbox / Limited leather / Power outlet mod / RS3200 Plus / Rebadged w/TRD / Bully Nerf bars / '05 OEM Taillights / Clear corners / Factory Woodgrain kit / Gentex EC Mirror / Gaylord's Toolbox-Lid / MB Overdrives / Muthco Signal Mirrors / Sport Grille / TRD Dual Exhaust / Camry Nav System

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Default Re: Re: Rustproofing

Originally posted by Montfort
    The reason for no heated garage...you couldn't ask for more rapid salt action when in the warmth. Regards, Dave

Originally posted by Rlockyer
    And that is your final answer

Quite correct, and not JUST if the roads are salted, as there are corrosives in anything that collects on the bottom of our trucks.
    Well, that may be true. But I still think the overall benefit of having a garage outweighs that negative.

Jeff

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: rust proofing

Originally posted by 4x4tundrasr5
    Does anyone recommend rustproofing? Can a national chain like ziebart do a good job or is it better to have the dealer do it?
    Have you thought about electronic alternatives like "BodyGuard"? I have numerous friends who have had this electronic device installed when they had purchased their vehicles new 3-5 years ago and swear that the device works. One of them is an avid fisherman who has not had any rust on the body of his truck (Taco). I had this device installed on my Tundra by the dealer, so in a couple of years I will know personally if it was worth it. The device runs about $60.00 and IMO would be well worth a try - at least for exposure to the elements (sun, rain, salt mist) in where I live it is (Guam 35 miles long 8 miles wide - at its widest point - everything else is Pacific Ocean and Philippine Sea for as far as the eye can see).

The device works by sending a small electrical current throughout the body of the vehicle which prevents rust from starting in scratches that penetrate the paint surface to bare metal. The current is constant 24-7 for as long as the battery is operational.

One thing that I must note is that parts of my frame and axle have surface rust (from paint coats that flaked in like just 8 months). I have to ask my service dept if having the "BodyGuard" device will warrant these areas as well.

Will keep you posted.

Hope this helps,
    Ron

Liked
    0 times

Default rustproofing...

Sorry Rlockyer, but it depends on where you live as to rustproofing or not. I lived on the gulf coast in Texas for 5 years or so years and am back in Pittsburgh area now. In Texas there is no good reason to rustproof or undercoat unless you have extra money that's burning a hole in you pants. But, if you live in a place like PA and don't rustproof and undercoat a new vehicle your nuts. Like 4x4tundraSR5 said, there's so much salt here on the roads in the winter it's just awful. I rinse my truck off 4 times as much in the winter as in the summer.

BTW, Rustproofing & Undercoating do NOT void the warranty. Also, R & U will not seal anything in when you use them on a brand new vehicle that has been properly prepped.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Ziebart does a good job, from what I've seen. I guess you'd probably want to do it when it's new, like what was said earlier. The problem with that "shake and shoot" stuff is, it's so porous and holds the moisture in causing it to rust from the under the coating. You can buy some coating called POR-15, that works great at covering those important parts, and looks really good too!

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Re: Re: Rustproofing

Originally posted by userw5
    Well, that may be true. But I still think the overall benefit of having a garage outweighs that negative.
    I agree... just don't make it a heated garage.
    Same the bucks from heating for mods!
    2008 Tacoma 2.7 RC Base

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)