Cargo/center brake light melting

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cargo/center brake light melting

Liked
    0 times

Default Cargo/center brake light melting

I did a quick search and couldn't find any similar posts - although, I can remember '00 users discussing this several years ago - so I'll post a new thread.

My center brake light burned out recently, and when I went to change the bulb, I found that the silver plastic housing (beneath the lens) had been melted and bubbled pretty badly :cry: . Also, the gray plastick sockets were discolored, and slightly deformed. The lens showed no signs of heat stress.

I called the dealer to ask if they knew of any heat/melting issues. They said no. I also checked alldata.com, and found not recalls or tsb's on the center light.

Has anyone found this kind of damage on their truck? Since the cargo and brake bulbs are the same, I temporarily swapped them - until I have a chance to buy a new one from Autozone. I guess it'd be nice to get an LED replacement like those for the back brakes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by Erkme73
    I did a quick search and couldn't find any similar posts - although, I can remember '00 users discussing this several years ago - so I'll post a new thread.

My center brake light burned out recently, and when I went to change the bulb, I found that the silver plastic housing (beneath the lens) had been melted and bubbled pretty badly :cry: . Also, the gray plastick sockets were discolored, and slightly deformed. The lens showed no signs of heat stress.

I called the dealer to ask if they knew of any heat/melting issues. They said no. I also checked alldata.com, and found not recalls or tsb's on the center light.

Has anyone found this kind of damage on their truck? Since the cargo and brake bulbs are the same, I temporarily swapped them - until I have a chance to buy a new one from Autozone. I guess it'd be nice to get an LED replacement like those for the back brakes.
    On the '00 there was a recall on some early production models for the stop/taillights and a tsb on the dome lamp. But no TSB's etc on the cargo lamp. If the socket is not holding the bulb tightly, there may be discoloration, the use of higher wattage bulbs may cause the symptoms you are seeing, or eater leakage into the assembly could be a culprit.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Here for the long haul... warrior's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

My 2001 cargo light (third brake light cover) has "melted as well. The red part (brake light) is fine but both of the white lens side are "melted". The bulbs are in and working fine and I haven't actually popped the lens cover off yet but it is nice to know it wasn't just mine....

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Changed my cargo lights out a few weeks ago and noticed the "melting" on mine as well. One thing you don't want to do is touch those damn lights while they are hot!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Unhappy Same Here

MINE ARE DISFIGURED AS WELL UNDER AND ABOVE EACH CARGO LAMP BULB, AND ON ONE SIDE IT HAS MELTED THE SOCKET TO THE EXTENT THAT THE BULB HAS A SLIGHT SHORT AND DOESNT WORK ABOUT 10% OF THE TIME. I HAVE NOT CHANGED TO A HIGHER WATTAGE BULB, THES ARE STOCK, 921 BULBS. I DID REPLACE WITH LEDS FOR A WHILE BUT THEY KEPT BURNING OUT. MAYBE ITS A CONNECTION ISSIUE IN THE SOCKET, OR A VOLTAGE SURGE ISSUE, WHO KNOWS, BUT I DO KNOW THAT IT'S HARD TO BURN OUT AN LED WITHOUT HAVING THE "WRONG" VOLTAGE GOING THOUGH IT.

Quote Originally Posted by gator2764
    Changed my cargo lights out a few weeks ago and noticed the "melting" on mine as well. One thing you don't want to do is touch those damn lights while they are hot!
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4X4 Limited

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Cargo Lamps Melted wholes in plastic bulb area!

I just went to change my bulb in the cargo lamps, and found that there were big wholes melted straight through above the lights. I noticed only a couple of you saying you had this problem.

I'm surprised that Toyota doesn't fix this. It seems to me, that maybe it could start a fire.

Have anymore of you had this problem. I didn't know about it, until I took the plastic cover off.

Thanks,
    Doug

Proud owner of a 2002 Tundra and Sequoia.

Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Burn Baby Burn

Yea... This is a problem with my 03' Tundra too. A while back one bulb burnt out so I replaced it with a bulb I bought @ Autozone... But today I noticed the other one burnt out so I pulled the cover off and noticed the stock bulb burnt a whole completly through the plastic. So I put another replacement in. It seems like the stock bulbs were getting hotter then my replacement bulbs... I dont get how it can get hot so fast though... I mean the cargo lamp isn't on that much is it?

Liked
    0 times

Mine has been hot also. And they would not work sometimes usually the left one if I banged on the cab it would come on I thought it was loose wiring or something took it apart and all looked good changed bulbs and its worked fine ever since.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Cargo/center brake light melting

While changing a burned out bulb in my 2002 Toyota Tundra cargo lights, I also noticed holes burned through both the left and right bulb housings. The burned out bulb was white and broke in my fingers when I tried to remove it. I finally pulled what remained of the bulb out with pliers. I checked the other two bulbs and found they had numbers that were different from those listed in the owners manual. They were 906's instead of 921's. I thought, ah ha, someone put the wrong bulbs in the cargo lights and they melted the housing. I then did some checking on line and found that the 906 bulbs are rated at 13 volts and 8.97 watts whereas the 921 bulbs (the ones the owner manual recommends) are rated at 12.8 volts and 17.92 watts. I have since concluded the original 921 bulbs caused the housing to melt and either the previous owner or the dealer replaced all three bulbs with the lower wattage 906 bulbs. The only thing I haven't figured out is why the one 906 burned out and turned white.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

Get yourself some high powered LED bulbs instead.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Your experience exactly mirrors mine. I also had the white bulb which broke in my fingers and the silver plastic housing above each of the bulbs was melted to the extent that there was a hole above each bulb. Mine is an '06 Extra cab. This has been going on since 2000 and yet Toyota says it never heard of the problem! I guess one will have to catch on fire before they take notice. The replacement bulb is the 921. As for the "white" bulb which broke in my fingers, I'm guessing it got wet. When I pulled the lens off i noticed the rubber seal was not seated properly in the corner above that bulb.

13. 08-29-2011, 10:31 PM

Banned

Reason
    Spam

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Same thing here. I put some reflective metal tape over the holes and ordered these T10 194 168 501 921 W5W 28 LED 3020 SMD Car Side Wedge Light Bulb Lamp White 12V | eBay
    Hopefully they are bright as the originals.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

any chance you guys are leaving the cargo lights on while you drive? as Mr. Creosote said, go with the high powered LEDs instead.
    2004 DC Limited, Husky Liners, 35% window tint, fog light mod, map light mod, Hoen Fogs, 265/70/17 BFGs, color matched wheels, Bazooka sub, resonator removed, full LED conversion.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.