Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Flickering Lights and A/C

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  lancehimes 
#1 ·
Carey has noticed that while driving the A/C fan will fluctuate in speed and interior lights will also flicker.

Is there a common problem we should look out for or is this a sign that something is about to go poof. Normally I'd think of the alternator, but I just wanted to ask.

#4 ·
trojan1953@msn.com
I have a 2000 avalon xls also. The same thing has been happening to my lights. I contacted my local Toyota dealer and he said it was the alternator. It wasn't! He then got in touch with the head toyota people in California. They said for him to disconnect the air/fuel sensors and check the lights. no more flickering.A computer glitch. they say the air/ fuel sensors are coming on at the same time creating a large draw on the electrical system. As soon as they can get some software together they will reprogram the computer so the two fuel/air sensors come on at different times instead of together so there is not the large draw on the system. Check with your Toyota dealer on this. Also replaced my battery. All that draw was weakening the battery. Even though the flicker is still there it's not as noticeable with the new battery.

#6 ·
JnEsPappa said:
Thanks. We need to change the oil soon so I'll have it checked out and post our findings.
We had some body work done since Carey got in a fender bender and they couldn't locate a problem to fix.

The good news is that they replaced the rain sensor and fixed the 115volt inverter plug under warranty. Nice.

#9 ·
Timely post I don't drive the wifes 99 xls too often but just got back from Vegas and noticed when I hit the window button the headlights dimmed for a sec.

#10 ·
I just fixed an AVALON thursday with the flicering light condition.

The alt was producing 105 amps
The battery was an optima, tested @100% (per toyota tester and VAT45)

The battery cable ends look good, but when i removed them, there was corrosion inside them, around where the cable end sits around the battery post. The corrosion couldnt be see from the outside of the cable end. The other wires that were attached to the cable end also had a small amount of corrosion. I clean all the corrosion with the battery stuff we have and replaced both cable ends.
It took care of the problem on THIS car.
Just something cheap to check. Although most of you probably have done this already.

#11 ·
I have a 2001 XL and have experienced the flicker on the dash lights and headlights intermittently - not very noticeable. Out of the blue, my car would not start. It started with a jump and the dash lights and headlights flickered big time. The battery would not charge back up. I read some of the previous posts and tried cleaning the battery terminals / cables. There was some significant corrosion, but it appeared to come clean. Still no charging. I feared that it was the alternator, but realized that I still had my original Toyota battery. I bought a new Everstart Maxx battery at Walmart - it rated very well in CR in other sizes. The Avalon started right up with NO FLICKER! Drove it to work today with no problem. I will probably still get the alternator checked, but would simply an old battery cause this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.