Question about replacement battery

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Question about replacement battery

Liked
    1 times

Default Question about replacement battery

Hi,

I have a 2001 Tundra V8 4wd LTD, and I'm still using the original factory battery. Other than some leaking a few years ago, it's been reliable, and still cranks good. Since it's 5 years old, I decided to be proactive and went to the dealership to get an identical replacement battery. My original battery was made by GNB, and is rated at 582 cca/ 125 rc, group 24R.

The new battery is a Toyota brand (True Start or True Guard, can't remember), 575 cca/130 rc, group 24F. Still has the caps to check the acid levels. I bought the new one, since the service guy gave a me a good deal on it, and said it should be a direct replacement. I just wanted to be sure that the new battery will be compatible with our electrical system. Are 24R and 24F batteries interchangeable? Thanks!
    Tundra LTD TRD AC V8 4wd White

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Default Re: Question about replacement battery

I believe that they are the same. 24R means the posts +&- are reversed from normal practice whatever that means. 24F I think stands for Ford hence the F because Ford used the reverse post pattern for many years. Not sure why unless they just wanted to be different than GM and Mopar. In my Tundra and Camry the original batteries had the Panasonic label but I'm not sure who actually made them. You're in good shape with your purchase.

Larry
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Liked
    1 times

I appreciate your advice! I'm glad to find out that the dealer wasn't trying to pull a fast one on me. Now I can drive for at least five more years without worrying about the battery (it does have an 84 month waranty though).
    Tundra LTD TRD AC V8 4wd White

Liked
    3 times

Panasonic makes the O/E batteries from Japan. You'll have a hard time finding the Factory Panasonic battery... I would not Buy a Toyota replacement battery from a dealer.They are just rebranded by a domestic Battery maker. wow it says "Toyota" Makes no sense at all. They are standard fare Batts at bad price point. I've found that the dealer batteries tend to be old stock. YU DONT want a battery that has been sitting in stock for 6 months or more. And, the warranty is meaningless. Read it well . All the fine print. Not just what the service writer tells yu.

But there are those that only want Toyota Motor Oil too, and don't know better that it is really Exxon or another co's oil depending on the region where yu live. They think it is "SPECIAL stuff???

I 'm not telling yu what brand to get, merely telling yu where not to buy. At the dealer. Unless your Toyota 84 mos warranty battery was bought for $40.00 or less. I doubt it.

I like Interstate Batteries. Great Cust. Service., But that's me. There are other good batts out there.
    Domestic Auto Battery Industry is basically Three Companies that supply rebranded batteries to 30 or more lables. The lable might determine price to the most exent.

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    179 times
    Images

If I were replacing the stock battery I'd get an ultima red top. I put one in my car and it has been fantastic plus with the spiral wound cells you don't have to worry about acid spills.