Fuel Filter Replacement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filter Replacement

Liked
    0 times

Default Fuel Filter Replacement

Anyone done this? Im consideringi t. After searching it on the forum all i found is a list of problems with the instalation. Anyone seen a step by step tutorial on here i missed? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    4 times

Default Re: Fuel Filter Replacement

Don't think anyone has done a tutorial with pics. I know I've explained the swap in several different threads..

I use flare nut wrenches, but standard will do. I believe 17mm and 14mm are the sizes needed. You also need a 10mm ratchet to undo the band clamp holding the filter to the frame.

Some guys will pull the fuel pump relay and start the truck to bleed off fuel pressure. I've never done that, I just open up the flare nuts slowly.

I personally undo the lines, undo the clamp, and drop the filter. Replace making sure to get the flare nuts started in the new filter before tightening up the bracket clamp.

It's not a big deal. Just don't cross thread the lines. Always use the large wrench on the filter body when breaking loose and tightening the fuel lines.

Goggles and gloves are a good idea. A coffee can works well to catch the leaking fuel.

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Yeah I have done it at 53K and its a pain in the a**. You have two hard lines going to and from the filter and you have to bend both of the hard lines to get the filter out. I wish I got pics but with gas running down my hands its hard.
    04 Lexus LS430 3UZ-FE V8
    02 Chevy C1500 LM7 5.3L V8
    01 Toyota Tundra 2UZ-FE V8
    90 Toyota 4Runner 1UZ-FE V8 engine swap

Liked
    4 times

The hard lines snap into clips that are attached to the frame. I bust the lines loose from the filter first, unclamp the filter from its bracket second, and then pop the lines out of the clamps third. This allows me to wiggle the filter away from the lines and then out of the bracket.

Liked
    0 times

Thanks guys. Hey Shall36, i just used your spark plug tutorail to replace my plugs yesterday! I appreciate yoy taking the time to that!
    Is there a reason you guys replaced the fuel filter? ie...problems or just maintainance

Liked
    4 times

Thanks for the Kudos.

I've always replaced fuel filters at 15K intervals. The goal is to keep trash out of the injectors. I did have a customer who used a particular gas station in town that apparently had so much crap in the tanks that his truck would come in every couple of months running poorly. We'd change the fuel filter, which was clogged, and he'd be good to go. That's an extreme example. I'm actually more worried about the filter media breaking down over time and then trashing an injector.

All in all, most people will never change a filter in 100K miles and not run into problems. Now, if it takes you 10 years to hit 100K, the filter media will probably break down before the filter actually clogs.

Liked
    12 times

Exclamation Re: Fuel Filter Replacement

look in your owner's manual and replace it at the factory
    interval. which is never! that would be my recommendation: never.
    yspert.
    Graduated from Y to Z status. I only work for "likes"!

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shall36 View Post
    I've always replaced fuel filters at 15K intervals. The goal is to keep trash out of the injectors. I did have a customer who used a particular gas station in town that apparently had so much crap in the tanks that his truck would come in every couple of months running poorly. We'd change the fuel filter, which was clogged, and he'd be good to go. That's an extreme example. I'm actually more worried about the filter media breaking down over time and then trashing an injector.
    Maybe that guy needs to put some type of cheesecloth over the nozzle before he refills. Maybe like a fuel filter pre filter. I might try this out one time and see what places has the dirtiest fuel.
    04 Lexus LS430 3UZ-FE V8
    02 Chevy C1500 LM7 5.3L V8
    01 Toyota Tundra 2UZ-FE V8
    90 Toyota 4Runner 1UZ-FE V8 engine swap

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by yspert View Post
    yspert.
    Didn't we have a thread on this a while back...the basic premise was that many new car manufacturers are calling a lot of filters/fluids "lifetime" in an effort to reduce actual/perceived maintenance costs?

At $15 a pop and 15 minutes to swap, not a big deal in my book...but guys paying a dealer to do the work may not want to spend the cash.

Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by shall36 View Post
    Didn't we have a thread on this a while back...the basic premise was that many new car manufacturers are calling a lot of filters/fluids "lifetime" in an effort to reduce actual/perceived maintenance costs?

At $15 a pop and 15 minutes to swap, not a big deal in my book...but guys paying a dealer to do the work may not want to spend the cash.
    i just don't see the need because i don't see them fail. most people
    chime in about the problems that they have during and after they
    replace the filter. typically, the rust and corrosion does a lot of
    people in. i work with ten or so toyota and honda vehicles daily and
    it has been so long since i saw one with a fuel filter problem, i stopped
    recommending them in 1998 when toyota did.
    plus, if you put in clean fuel from a station that sales a lot, then
    you are not putting "stuff" into the tank that may clog the filter.
    motor oil has "way" more items to clog a filter and i don't see
    that happening either. just some thoughts. yspert

Liked
    10 times
    Images

Unhappy Re: Fuel Filter Replacement

Also for us 05-up guys the dang thing isn't a 10 min job some yahoo decided to put it in the gas tank.
    Independent dealer at AMSOIL. http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=5072667

Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Al1 View Post
    Also for us 05-up guys the dang thing isn't a 10 min job some yahoo decided to put it in the gas tank.
    that yahoo found out that replacing it was a waste of time and money!!! y

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by yspert View Post
    yspert.
    That's a great idea if you want to risk running up a huge repair bill.

Example one: My previous truck was an F-150. I bought it used and never considered changing the fuel filter. It plugged, and in doing so, put enough strain on the fuel pump to and that burned out as well. So, there's the tow bill, the price of the pump, the price of the filter, and the labor. Ouch. And if I remember correctly the pump was in the tank on that truck, so there's a lot more labor involved.

Example two: My current work truck is an '03 F-250. The filter plugged up at around 45,000 miles. That caused to the fuel pump to go out as well (again, too much strain on it). The pump is in the tank (like on your Tundra). Between the tow bill, and the parts and labor to replace the filter and pump, it cost $1,100, all for a $25 filter.

When a filter plugs, it'll leave you stranded. Unless you have a buddy with a trailer and a winch on call, then you're at least looking at a pricey tow bill. Replacing the filter on your Tundra is easy. I've done it. If you use common sense, you'll only get gas on your hands. If you believe the risk isn't worth the $25 and 20 minutes of your time, then skydiving above a water body without a parchute is probably just as appealing to you. Basically, it's a no brainer...
    Insert witty signature here...

Liked
    7 times

I started getting terrible engine performance at 75k miles which was caused mostly by a clogged fuel filter. Now I'm not suggesting that my singular data point is validation for changing your filter, but it does illustrate what can happen. Since the oil industry controls the quality of what you put in your tank, anything can happen and sometimes does.

Check out posts 16 - 20 of this thread as to why Toyota doesn't list fuel filter replacement as a maintenance item.

I'm going to replace my fuel filter every 60K if not sooner.

Paul
    Completed Mods:
    S&S long tube headers
    Brembo rotors
    TSB caliper upgrade
    Hawk LTS brake pads
    Stainless steel braided brake lines
    Total Chaos steering rack bushings
    Alignment to DJ's specs
    Century cap
    Line-X
    XM satellite radio module (connected to Pioneer head unit)
    Instrument cluster LED upgrade

Future Mods:
    Rearview camera system
    BA Muffler (on order)
    Sound deadener
    Fusion Drive
    Flux Capacitor Control Unit (FCCU)

Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    That's a great idea if you want to risk running up a huge repair bill.

Example one: My previous truck was an F-150. I bought it used and never considered changing the fuel filter. It plugged, and in doing so, put enough strain on the fuel pump to and that burned out as well. So, there's the tow bill, the price of the pump, the price of the filter, and the labor. Ouch. And if I remember correctly the pump was in the tank on that truck, so there's a lot more labor involved.

Example two: My current work truck is an '03 F-250. The filter plugged up at around 45,000 miles. That caused to the fuel pump to go out as well (again, too much strain on it). The pump is in the tank (like on your Tundra). Between the tow bill, and the parts and labor to replace the filter and pump, it cost $1,100, all for a $25 filter.

When a filter plugs, it'll leave you stranded. Unless you have a buddy with a trailer and a winch on call, then you're at least looking at a pricey tow bill. Replacing the filter on your Tundra is easy. I've done it. If you use common sense, you'll only get gas on your hands. If you believe the risk isn't worth the $25 and 20 minutes of your time, then skydiving above a water body without a parchute is probably just as appealing to you. Basically, it's a no brainer...
    since you are giving examples of what happens to fords, i maded three calls to people i know and have worked with in this business that specialize in fords. all three agreed that the fuel pumps on the fords you used in your
    examples are known for pump failures. the one person that works at a ford dealer said that they always blame it on the filter if the vehicle is under warranty so they will make more labor dollars. if it is not under warranty, they blame it on the filter to make it your fault for the crap you are putting in the tank....not the pos you are driving. yspert
    Last edited by yspert; 12-06-2007 at 04:58 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast