My daughter and I installed the Scangauge II today. I thought a long time about where I wanted this thing.
I liked Hispeed's mod a lot: Scan Gauge 2 owners I also liked Dibble9012's variation on Hispeed's idea: Scan Gauge 2 owners
Cascadia's ashtray mod was really good too and it got me thinking: New Scan Gauge install thread
I didn't really care for the Blendmout option. It's nice, but too much wire to run and once I looked at my mirror I think it would have messed with my head trying to make it work: MGT Motorsports Shopping Cart
I'm not handy enough for the first mod, I wanted my gauge a little higher than the second mod and like I said I didn't like option three. So I brainstormed and this is what I came up with.
First: Go to Radio Shack and buy a wall speaker mount for a small rear surround sound speaker. Here is the exact mount that I bought:
RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Audio accessories: Speaker accessories: OmniMount® AB1 Tilt and Swivel Mounting Kit (Black)
It's an Omnimount AB 1. Price is about $18.00 with tax. It comes with all the mounting hardware you will need for this mod, including a drill bit. It also has an allen wrench that allows you to position the mount at three pivot points so you can angle the mount in any direction.
I also picked up some black zip ties while I was at Radio Shack.
Next I bought some 3M emblem adhesive because as stated in other threads the Velcro that comes with Scangauge doesn't work very well.
1. Take out your ashtray.*
2. Flip in over and take out the two screws in the bottom. Gently pull the tabs up that the screws were in and take the face off the ashtray.
3. Use your supplied allen wrench to rotate the mount base so that the long part will be parallel with the bottom of the ashtray cover. Put your mount base on the ashtray to mark drill points. Place it so that the bottom of the base is flush with the bottom of the ashtray cover. Using the supplied bit, drill two holes.
4. Use a screwdriver and using the supplied pointed screws mount the base to the ashtray cover. Now just put the mount back together and put your ashtray in.
5. Using 3M adhesive, put the Velcro on the mount and the Scangauge.
6. Pull the housing that is under the Ashtray (the grey plastic that houses the aux power ports and airbag "off" key hole). Be careful not to break the plastic fasteners.
7. Run Scangauge cord along mount. Tie with zip tie and run under ashtray and behind grey housing.
8. Button everything back up and fiddle with the Velcro and the angle of your gauge until you get the right fit for you.
Congrats! You are Doneplete.
Here is a view from under the ash tray. If you place the mount low enough, there is a space that will allow for the screws without getting into the ashtray itself. Be mindful of the support struts in the ashtray cover and you won't hit them either.
UPDATE: Click link below to see how I modified the mount for more stability
*My Wife gets credit for talking me into the ashtray. It's the best place for me. But with this mount and the way it rotates to any position, you could really place it anywhere.