Sparkplug stuck in head 2000 Tundra 4.7

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sparkplug stuck in head 2000 Tundra 4.7

Liked
    0 times

Default Sparkplug stuck in head 2000 Tundra 4.7

The plug in line with the master cylinder on my Tundra is suck. It will actually turn, with a consistent 75 ft lb of force. Its not loosening, just turning.

In another thread someone suggested that the 4.7 aluminum head has a steel insert the plug threads into and that I was probably turning the insert.

I am not sure what to do. I figure the head needs to come off. If the insert is turning, its just going to keep doing so. If the threads are buggered it will need to be fixed. I suppose my first step is to soak the plug with penetrating oil (pb blaster, liquid wrench) then hit it with an impact.

The plus in there probably have 40k on them, and I always use anti sieze. The motor has 130k on it and runs like a top.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: Sparkplug stuck in head 2000 Tundra 4.7

Quote Originally Posted by avu3 View Post
    The plug in line with the master cylinder on my Tundra is suck. It will actually turn, with a consistent 75 ft lb of force. Its not loosening, just turning.

In another thread someone suggested that the 4.7 aluminum head has a steel insert the plug threads into and that I was probably turning the insert.

I am not sure what to do. I figure the head needs to come off. If the insert is turning, its just going to keep doing so. If the threads are buggered it will need to be fixed. I suppose my first step is to soak the plug with penetrating oil (pb blaster, liquid wrench) then hit it with an impact.

The plus in there probably have 40k on them, and I always use anti sieze. The motor has 130k on it and runs like a top.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Scott
    Try heating up the head/plug area with a torch or similar heat source, then attemp with brief bursts of the impact gun.. (carefully)
    Although I use Anti-sieze in many places including the Spark plugs, I don't use much of it. Especially in high heat prone areas. Very sparing with it. And the first set of plugs usually get a dose but afterwards my subsegquent Spark Plugs don't need it. If so ,just a light smear on the middle 2-3 threads if that. The A-seize remains on the threads for several changes.

It's metal content binds to the threads.

Ant-seize may allow for unintended overtorquing! And overuse of this can accelerate wear on aluminum and other soft metals. Very little is needed. So many people glob this stuff on. I've even seen a Dealer Tech use it on the brakepad backing plates too. Very bad to do.

Curious, are yu using The Gold or Silver anti-seize??

I always use my torque wrench..especially with my spark plugs.

I believe yu have a head job ahead of yu. Hopefully not. Good luck.

LT
    Last edited by LifeTech; 01-01-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spel

Liked
    2 times

I don't know about the Tundra engine, but the older aluminum head Toyota engines definately did not have steel inserts the plugs thread into.

The torque spec for the spark plugs is a mere 13 ft. lbs so overtightening is common.

I've had luck fixing other peoples stuck plugs by adding penertrating oil and let it soak in for a few days and then try loosening turning the plug a trifle in the tightening direction (clockwise) and then the untightening directions.

Sounds like you've got thread damage to your plug hole even if you get the plug out. Some owners have had success with Helicoil inserts, but they have to keep an eye out on them because sometimes the plugs installed in the inserts loosen over time.

Also be careful no solid debris fell into the cylinder or else the engine could be severely damaged at startup.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1524 times

Quote Originally Posted by LifeTech View Post
    Ant-seize may allow for unintended overtorquing! And overuse of this can accelerate wear on aluminum and other soft metals. Very little is needed. So many people glob this stuff on.
    I wonder how electrically conductive the stuff is. Excessive amounts may find its way onto the electrodes of the plugs, creating a partial short between the electrode and ground, weakening the spark. :cry:

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1524 times

Quote Originally Posted by kathyricks View Post
    The torque spec for the spark plugs is a mere 13 ft. lbs so overtightening is common.
    Good grief, that is a recipe for post plug swap head replacement. :cry:

Edelbrock and GM Performance Parts aluminum heads are among many who factory helicoil the plug holes for strength.

Liked
    3 times

Getting the plug out is one issue.

The integrity of the plug threading is another .

Liked
    3 times

I would throw in some PB blaster and leave it overnight and give another shot.
    If that doesn't work you have no choice but getting robbed by a stealership.

Liked
    0 times

Thanks all, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I use the Silver antisieze, and I do tend to overuse it based on what you're saying, thats a bummer. "more is always better, right"?

Not having the steel insert means, yeah, the threads are junk, for sure.

I knew the torque setting was 13ft lbs, and I am careful not to overtorque.

The weather has been pretty awful, so I haven't gotten back to it, but the soak with penetrating oil and pop with an impact is where I'm going.

S

Liked
    3 times

yes, yu are pretty much at a crossroad here.

It's do or die.

Give it a careful, cautious and calculated try.

Nothing to lose at this point.

Good luck

LT.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Avu3...I just finished helping my friend tear his 97 taco down and hauled the head to a machine shop. Call your local dealer and ask where they send their heads too, most dealers dont do their own head work. Were you by chance using bosch platinums?

Liked
    12 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Burger Steak & Eggs View Post
    I wonder how electrically conductive the stuff is. Excessive amounts may find its way onto the electrodes of the plugs, creating a partial short between the electrode and ground, weakening the spark. :cry:
    Metalic based antisieze compound is very conductive and is bad news around spark plugs. Even small amounts can migrate to the spark plug insulators and cause misfire issues. I have seen it all to often used on aluminum race heads and the resultant issues from over use. I know why people want to use it, but it is better just to torque properly, and use a bit of standard oil if you really must lubricate here. Been working with aluminum heads for 25 years without the need for any lube on plug threads.

Liked
    3 times

If used very sparingly, Ant-sieze works effectively.

Bottom line is, especially with aluminum heads, anti-sieze is good to use because it's the corrosion developed between the two Disimilar metals, spark plug (steel) and aluminum at the head which accelerates corrosion.

Some Spark plugs change intervals going 90 -120K miles just get stuck. whether torqued properly or not.

The A. Sieze if USED PROPERLY is always called for.

I'm talking literally a slight drop at the top few threads is all that's needed.

This stuff will NOT interfere with ignition if yu use it properly and always torque to spec!

Many people just glob this stuff on. Never do this!!!
    Spark plug tips must always be kept clean of any contaminents whether using Anti-sieze or not. Common sense.
    Just be very neat and yu will not have problems.

LT.

Liked
    2 times

I agree with LT that a little anti-seize on the topmost threads is all that's needed and won't cause any problems. I've changed the plugs 31 times on my 471,000 aluminum head Toyota engine and never had any problems from using a little antiseize on the topmost threads.

Liked
    3 times

KR, are yu truly going for a million Miles. Aside from the engine, will the rest of the truck last and be worth holding onto going to that type of mileage?

Talk about getting your moneys worth.
    At what point is your Toyota truly no longer cheap to keep.

BTW, I feel that only you could go those miles.

Liked
    2 times

LT you're right keeping the body going is a challenge simply because it's hard to avoid traffic accidents for 500,000, let alone 1,000,000 miles! I average one fender bender type every 150,000 miles and so the grille and fenders now look pretty ragged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast