When should i change spark plugs?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When should i change spark plugs?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default When should i change spark plugs?

I bought my truck with 39,000 miles on it and im not sure if the plugs have been chamged.....should i go ahead and change them?if so, what are the best plugs to buy for my 2000 v8 tundra?

thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    18 times

Change at 30K - Best Plugs are the stock OEM plugs.

DENSO K16TR11 or
    NGK BKR5EKB-11
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Liked
    0 times

I was told that my stock plugs will last till 100k miles. I dunno if this is true or not but Im going to inspect when I get to 30.

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

Originally posted by thecarguy
    I was told that my stock plugs will last till 100k miles. I dunno if this is true or not but Im going to inspect when I get to 30.

Do Sequoias have platinum plugs? Tundras have $2 copper NGK or Denso plugs which work very well for 30k, then they need to be changed.

Ken

Liked
    0 times

they might, i have no idea. I dont want to take the plugs out of the aluminum heads while I still have a warrenty. I know I can do it just fine, but I dont want murphys law to kick in and strip somthing out.

Liked
    0 times

Default Spark Plugs ???

When to replace spark plugs ? thats a good question. A friend has a 93 F-150 ford with 5.0 V-8 158,000 mi on the spark plugs,wires, cap, all original. Runs great

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: When should i change spark plugs?

Originally posted by scott52582
    I bought my truck with 39,000 miles on it and im not sure if the plugs have been chamged.....should i go ahead and change them?if so, what are the best plugs to buy for my 2000 v8 tundra?

thanks for the help
    Scott:

The parts department at my dealer tells me that the 2000 model V8 came with platinum plugs. A friend has 113K+ on his 2000 and is still running the same plugs. No misfires yet.

Since you bought the truck used, there is a chance that the plugs have been changed to copper electrode type. You might want to consider removing one plug to check the number. If you have platinum plugs, don't bother to change them....just keep going.

Herb

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Re: When should i change spark plugs?

Originally posted by Herb
    The parts department at my dealer tells me that the 2000 model V8 came with platinum plugs...
    As usual, the parts department folks are wrong or are too lazy to actually look up the correct info. That may be true for the Lexus V8 engines, but not the Tundra 4.7L V8 (actually, I think some Lexus engines have 100,000 mile rated iridium plugs). The 2000 Tundra Repair Manual clearly lists copper electrode spark plugs as the recommended plugs (either Denso K20RU or NGK BKR6EY - don't quote me on the plug numbers since I'm pulling that strictly from memory). Having been a member of this board since 1999, I have yet to see anyone that has changed a set of plugs find that they had factory platinum plugs installed. I have seen some weird things though, like one head having all Denso plugs and the other head having all NGK plugs, but all were the Toyota spec copper electrode plugs.

Liked
    10 times

Scott,

You should pull a plug and see what kind of shape it's in rather than guessing if you need a change.

Liked
    1 times

Originally posted by nedjames
    Scott,

You should pull a plug and see what kind of shape it's in rather than guessing if you need a change.
    Yep, you just need a 10 inch extension and about 5 minutes to pop one out.

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    619 times
    Images

...a universal joint really helps with the driver's side rear plug. the stock plugs get kinda ugly after 30k or so...there's a noticeable difference in idle quality when you go from nearly flat, square stock plugs to a set of decent, new plugs.

the denso iridiums i got back at about 38k are still just fine about 40k miles later. dunno about other plugs with a 100k rating.

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I was told the Tundra's came with Platinum plugs. Wrong, after 60K it didn't feel like it was idling well, so I pulled them and man, what a joke. Good old copper. I've installed the new Bosch Platinum four tips and I noticed the difference right away along with better mileage. My last set of Bosch in my Ford Van went 100k before I changed them. I'm not sure if brands really matters but, I have to say the Bosch's worked for me. School's out on my K&N filter. Love my JB headers and Borla exhaust. Combination did make a difference.

marks tundra

I just had my truck serviced for a pinging/ bad gas mileage problem.The tech asked me if i did any service, i responded yeah changed the plugs...i told him i installed bosch +4....the tech responded buy saying that does plugs are not good for are toyota engine because of their heat range and non gapability...
    I went back to the origional copper U groove style tip.The tech after that reset my computer and the truck runs strong.
    Mark

Liked
    2 times

I know a lot of people don't like the Bosch Platinum +4's but I put them in my '00 V-8 at 30,000 miles and it was running smoother when I traded it at 48,000 than my brand new '03 V-8 is running now. I can’t comment on the heat range but just because they can’t be gapped by the mechanic doesn’t mean they’re bad. I would personally rather have a plug that if the center electrode moves slightly closer to one side at lease two of the other 3 gaps will remain pretty much unchanged. It would be almost impossible to open all 4 gaps to the point where no spark will be generated. With 4 places to go the spark is going to find the best path anyway and as long as there is a spark there will be ignition of the fuel.

Liked
    0 times

Bosch +4's are pregapped. Platinum plugs should be changed at 60k and copper at 30k. You could probably extend both of this life spans be 20- 25k miles but why? You'd only be cheating yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast