Check Engine Light?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Engine Light?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Check Engine Light?

I have 32k miles on my truck and the other day on my way to work, my check engine light came on. I took it to a mechanic and he reset the light and the next day the check engine light came on again. Anybody experience this? I'm not sure what it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Check Engine Light?

Did the mechanic indicate the fault code? This info is stored in the ECU and can be retrieved by the mechanic. Make sure that your gas cap is tight. A loose gas cap has been know to trigger a fault in the emission control system.<br /><br />BM

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

The Check Engine Light or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) comes on when the ignition switch is turned ON and the engine is not running. When the engine is started, the MIL should go off. If the lamp remains on, the diagnosis system has detected a malfunction or abnormality in the system.

In addition to the MIL lighting up when a malfunction is detected, the applicable Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) prescribed by SAE J2012 are recorded in the ECM memory. If the malfunction does not reoccur in 3 consecutive trips, the MIL goes off automatically but the DTCs remain recorded in the ECM memory.

NOTE: TOYOTA does not provide a procedure for reading diagnostic trouble codes without a scan tool or a Toyota hand held tester.

FYI - An informational write up on the check engine light all the possible causes is posted in the Maintenance forum of the "Garage" .
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Tighten your gas cap!

Liked
    0 times

Bad O2 senser<br />warrenty?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I had the exact same thing happen to me this week. While driving to get some lunch my Check Engine light came on. I swung by the Toyota dealership in Kirkland, WA and they said that the O2 sensor was bad.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I had the same thing happen, and guy at the dealership said he could run a full diagnostic to be certain BUT it was most likely the gas cap. He said the check engine light gets triggered all the time by a gas gap that is on "less than tight" and that the chip can take up to a week to reset. Does it still run ok? Anything feel funky? If not, give it a couple of days. Refill the gas tank and get that lid on tight and see what happens. This guy at the service center says it is quite common.

Liked
    0 times

I also had a chk engine light that turned out to be a O2 sensor

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Just had my "Check Engine" light come on for me at 29.5K miles. Turned out to be a bad left O2 sensor. What scared me was that when talking to the service technician, he said that he's seeing a rash of O2 sensor failures on 2000 Tundras -- on average of 1 a week here on Oahu. And it's always the left O2 sensor that fails!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default O2 Sensor

My check engine light also just came on at 21K on my 2000 4.7. Had to replace the O2 sensor, under warranty. Not a good trend for people who are out of warranty!

Liked
    0 times

How much did you all pay for the O2 Sensor?

Thanks

Liked
    0 times

Time for Toyota to get a different O2 sensor vendor

Liked
    0 times

Just got another Check Engine light Tuesday. Was going to take it in on Weds but the light went out. It came back on this morning and the dealership said it was the "other main O2 sensor" - they replaced the first one two months ago.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs down o2 sensor

I had an engine light at 20k it was the o2 sensor, bank 2 sensor 1. 26k I had another engine light. Again it was an o2 sensor, but this time it was bank 1 sensor 1. Still in warranty, but this will be quite expensive when the warranty runs out. If you have a repair made on a Ford during warranty they warrant the repair for life. 2000 tundra

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default check engine light

Had check engine light at 43.000 miles. Mechanic ran diagnostic and right bank 01 o2 sensor removed and replaced. After driving aprox. 15 miles light back on again. Returned to shop and same dignostic and mechanic said he found a bad pin connection and all ok. They road tested truck about 15 miles with no light. I drive 10 miles and light back on. My question is has any one had a similar problem and also how many sensors are there, and is this covered by the emissions waranty.

thanks
    Punch

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.