Tundra Starter Location

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tundra Starter Location

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Question Tundra Starter Location

I went diggin around under the hood today and was trying to find the starter on the truck. Following the cables off of the battery, there were essentially two end points, the alt and a recess behind the driver side header, under a heat sheid and some plastic covering. Is this the starter stashed under there??? Anybody have a clue about this?

I am wiring in a 2nd battery and am trying to minimize cable lengths. Thanks!!
    -------------------------

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Unhappy good news and Bad news..

first the good news.. you Tundra is the Best Truck around.. next the BAD news.. I think the starter is under the intake manifold..more good news.. Toyota starters usually last several hundred thousand miles..like their vehicles..!!!!! maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.. but I have looked too and really want to know!

Liked
    0 times

I'm 99.99% sure that it is in fact tucked up under the intake manifold.

I also seem to remember someone on the original board mentioning that they had talked to their dealer's service department about the cost to replace the starter and was quoted a price of somewhere between $1000 - $3000 (it may have been even more)!

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope no one from TS has to learn the exact figure the hard way!

oz
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: good news and Bad news..

Originally posted by tommie
    first the good news.. you Tundra is the Best Truck around.. next the BAD news.. I think the starter is under the intake manifold..more good news.. Toyota starters usually last several hundred thousand miles..like their vehicles..!!!!! maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.. but I have looked too and really want to know!
    Yes as a certified toyota partcountermen the starter is located under the upper plenum in the gulley of the 2UZ-FE. The starter is about $350 to $400.00 for a reman. unit, but there is more parts than labor. Labor will be somewhere around 250.00. Do not worry they have been using that starter and engine design for sometime now. Thank GOD they tried it on they 91 LS400 first, huh.

Liked
    0 times

No doubt about it, that is the starter under the intake manifold at the very rear of the engine where it can engage the flywheel.

While removing the intake manifold looks like a major task, I bet I could remove it and put it back on in less than 2 hours at most.

I wouldn't worry about the starter though. To my knowledge, that is just not a problem for a Tundra or any Toyota product that I am aware of. The starter on my 1984 Toyota Supra started acting up a bit at around 180,000 miles. The starter would not turnover occassionally when the key was taken to the start position. It sometimes took several attempts to get the starter to engage. I removed the stater and took a look at the internals. All that was wrong was the solenoid power contacts had worn down. I went down to the local alternator and starter rebuild shop, picked up a new set of contacts for $5.00 (these Denso starters are very common), put it all back together, and haven't had one problem in the past 2+ years and 30,000+ miles.

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Thanks guyz-

I figured that it was buried under there. I finished the aux battery install. You can check it out at www.teddnet.com/isolator.html
    -------------------------

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Re: good news and Bad news..

Originally posted by oz
    Yes as a certified toyota partcountermen the starter is located under the upper plenum in the gulley of the 2UZ-FE. The starter is about $350 to $400.00 for a reman. unit, but there is more parts than labor. Labor will be somewhere around 250.00. Do not worry they have been using that starter and engine design for sometime now. Thank GOD they tried it on they 91 LS400 first, huh.

Oz, is there an inspection plate to look at the flywheel somewhere. I've had an intermittent problem with my starter (like if it had 180,000 miles on it and the solenoid was going bad).

The dealer replaced it once and it was working fine for a while. But after a few months it started doing it again. Before it would take several times to engage (randomly this would happen). 30 successful starts, then 3 "duds". Then 50 successful and a dud or two. Then 20 and then a dud. Next time 50, then problem.

I happens about 1 every three weeks. One it a while I even need to crank it three times instead of twice before it engages instead of just spins.

Any thoughts? I've only got 6,000 miles left on my warrantee and I'm worried that I'm going to get stuck with the repair.

It only happens once in a while. I'm almost thinking that it might have to do with the flywheel vs a problem with the starter. That's why I'd like to see all the teeth.

alan

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Solenoid, starter or battery problem?

Akauth, Did you ever figure out what was going on with your starter? My 2000 4x4 has the same problem. I turn the key and hear either nothing, a click, or maybe a quarter turn of the crankshaft at most. The problem is intermittent -usually a couple of days between occurrences. Sometimes I'll have to turn the key 10 to 20 times to actually get the engine to crank over. Once it starts, it runs fine. The battery seems to have plenty of juice to crank the engine for any other start.

52,000 miles and the dealer says the starter is not under warranty "not part of the drivetrain". Considering that the starter is buried under the intake manifold, I think this policy is crap....

Thanks.

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    705 times
    Images

i had a similar problem in my old saab, turned out to be the contacts in the starter...a couple spots were broken, corroded, etc. so there were a few blank spots in the full turn, and if the starter landed on one, the engine wouldnt crank without a push start. it apparently wasnt a difficult fix (i didnt fix it, the guy that fixed it said that) but the starter was much more accessible.

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by aclayton
    Akauth, Did you ever figure out what was going on with your starter? My 2000 4x4 has the same problem. I turn the key and hear either nothing, a click, or maybe a quarter turn of the crankshaft at most. The problem is intermittent -usually a couple of days between occurrences. Sometimes I'll have to turn the key 10 to 20 times to actually get the engine to crank over. Once it starts, it runs fine. The battery seems to have plenty of juice to crank the engine for any other start.

52,000 miles and the dealer says the starter is not under warranty "not part of the drivetrain". Considering that the starter is buried under the intake manifold, I think this policy is crap....

Thanks.
    I put a larger battery in and that helped a lot but once in a while it still happens. I don't think it's the starter but somewhere else along the line. I had the starter replaced and that didn't really solve it but it was better. So I don't think it's the starter.

Out of curiosity, do you have a HD starter or is yours standard?

I might try to change the ignition switch and see if that solves it. If I turn it on and crank when the issue occurs it often won't work. But if I turn it fully off and then turn it back on it will turn and start normally.

The issue seems to be that there isn't enough power fully transmitted to the solenoid. Obviously this is more of an issue for an old solenoid. This was happening to me at 6,000 miles.

I think there might be a relay in after the ignition switch. In fact, now that you bring this up, I might call the dealer to see what parts cost. I don't think it goes through one of the master components. That would really suck because it's not reasonable to replace one of those. Even swapping the ignition switch isn't too cool.

Alan

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Akauth - thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I have the HD starter or not....is the HD starter included in the 4x4, tow or TRD packages? Interesting how replacing your starter did not solve your problem.

I had the battery tested today at the local auto parts store and they said it was fine. I replaced the stock positive terminal with a much beefier brass "marine" terminal. I though the stock terminal looked really weak and flimsy, even without any corrosion.

I'll keep looking into the issue and let you know if I find a resolution.

Liked
    0 times

Heat is the biggest enemy of starters. Just ask any Chevy owner. The starter mounting location on the Tundra is a good spot. The intake should be easy to R&R if you ever have to.
    04 DOUBLE CAB SR5 DESERTSAND MICA, CUSTOM FABRICATED Y PIPE, JET PERFORMANCE STAGE TWO ECU REMAP, RACOR REMOTE A/T FILTER, ROADMASTER RAS (REAR)

Liked
    25 times
    Images

When installing my supercharger, I almost went into cardiac arrest when I pulled off the intake. The starter sits below the intake plenum, centered and is well mounted and has waterproofing provisions. To remove the stock plenum would be no big deal, but a supercharger ?*(#$%%@!!
    2001 Factory Ivan Stewart edition.
    Undergoing a total rework
    Suspension: 3-link SAS w/ 12" coilovers Chrome moly arms w/R. E. flex joints, Alcan 7-leaf springs, home made shackle flip, U-bolt flip kit, homemade traction bar, Bilstien 5150 14" travel rear shocks on O.R.S. mounts
    Chassis/Steering/Brakes: rebuilt IFS steering box with 1.5" X 8" stroke ram, braided lines, , GM 1/2 ton master cyl, manual porpotioning valve, Classic Performance drop down battery box mounted under the bed
    Engine/Trans: Ongoing Cummins 6BT turbo-diesel conversion
    DriveTrain/Wheels/Tires: Front High Pinion Dana 60, 4.10, GM 14 full floating rear axle assembly w/disc brakes,
    Body and Armor: ARB front bumper, T-Max 9500, Synthetic winch rope, Delrin rollers, Line-X bed liner, Rhino coated homemade roof rack, snorkel, rock sliders, and rear bumper/slider, roof, and lower side body Rino liner coated, 4 Pro-Comp lights 130 watt driving lights, 2: roof rack, 2: bumper mounted
    Electrical/Other: VDO and TRD boost gages, AutoMeter EGT, dash mount gage pod Mega-Fuse electrical bus, Master electrical on/off switch

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Well, I stopped by the dealership on Saturday and bought a new starter relay. The parts guy noted that since the starter relay and the ignition switch were stocked items (two of the switches) they probably are being sold more than occasionally. So, either they are being purchased by home mechanics trying to figure it out the hard way, or the are being replaced more than you'd think.

Anyway, seems to me that the relay is more likely to be bad then the ignition switch.
    I'll replace it this week and let you know. It might be a couple weeks until I would see the issue again anyway.

But boy, the parts are expensive. Changing the starter didn't really help the issue at all. That doesn't meant that it's not the issue in your case but it's unlikely that I got two bad starters.

alan

Akauth - thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I have the HD starter or not....is the HD starter included in the 4x4, tow or TRD packages? Interesting how replacing your starter did not solve your problem.

I had the battery tested today at the local auto parts store and they said it was fine. I replaced the stock positive terminal with a much beefier brass "marine" terminal. I though the stock terminal looked really weak and flimsy, even without any corrosion.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

I replaced my starter relay. We'll have to see if that's the issue. I think it was $60 or so for the part but if that solves it, it's worth it. Seemed to start right up then again the starter running without engaging only happens once in a while. Usually when it's hot and I start it back up again after a 5 minute rest or in the morning when it's cold (cold being 50 degrees).

So I'll let you know if that solves it for me. Seems like the first place to look after the battery and starter (in that order). And as the parts guy pointed out, if they have them in stock that means that they are selling them for some reason as those should NOT be going bad yet unless they're weak to start out with.

I notice the printing on the outside of the new relay is better quality so lets hope the interior is too.

Alan

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.