How many miles can we expect a 4.7L V8 to last? - Page 4

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many miles can we expect a 4.7L V8 to last?

Liked
    4 times

One of the newer TS members got 81 miles out of his I-Force before it let go.

81 miles

ADDING POWER HAS NEVER BEEN SO FAST!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Originally posted by Dude Boy
    One of the newer TS members got 81 miles out of his I-Force before it let go.

81 miles
    Wow....that is one ugly story. Man...if that happened to me....I'd be demanding a new truck. Turned out OK in the end....but a bummer for the poor soul that bought his "great deal discounted" 81 mile TRD.
    2003 Silver Sky TRD SR5 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    My 69 Mach 1 Pics
    Factory Options:
    TRD Offroad / Limited slip / Tow package / 130 amp alternator / Temp.-compass-autodim mirror.

Appearance Mods:

PPDBillet throttle & fuse covers /Weld Outback forged billet wheels / Smittybuilt nurfs / Bullbar / Leer Legend Canopy / Line X / billet antenna.
    Performance Mods:
    Chromex-ceramic coated S&S autochrome headers / Custom dual H crossover 2 1/4 into Magnaflow duals- rear exit / 265 75 16 Bridgestone Revo's .....R A P S /True Flow intake / Underdrive Pulley /Hellwig anti-sway bar / Timbren load springs-rear / Wheelers 2.0 leveling coilovers / Infinity x6. / Unichip PnP

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How many miles can we expect a 4.7L V8 to last?

My 2000 tundra V8 now has 144,000 miles. I bought it used and never knew if the timing belt was ever changed. I had procrastinated but decided to be safe and had it done yesterday. My mechanic advised I was very lucky as the belt was close to failing. You could see deep exterior cracks about every 1/4 inch all the way around. The mechanic said he had never seen one with this many cracks that was still working. Be advised. Don't wait too long.

Liked
    0 times

I just passed 232,000 miles on my 4.7L. Doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil between changes either. Take care of it and you will be taken care of.
    My Ride: White 2000 Tundra Limited Access Cab, V8, 4WD, TRD with 267,834 miles
    MODS:

SUSPENSION: front - Cornfed 2" lift, rear - TRD add-a-leafs. EXTERIOR: Ventvisors, UTR bed liner, Reese hitch ELECTRICAL: Alarm and remote start package, Prodigy Brake Controller ENGINE/DRIVETRAIN:Nitto Trail 285/75/R16 wrapped around Mickey Thompson Classics. Cat Back dual custom exhaust with glass packs and 2 1/2" Stainless tips straight back. Air intake box mod.

Wife's Ride: Gray 2010 Sequoia Limited, 5.7L, 4WD, with 61,104 miles
    MODS:
    EXTERIOR: Weathertech Window Vents

Liked
    177 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weavdog View Post
    My 2000 tundra V8 now has 144,000 miles. I bought it used and never knew if the timing belt was ever changed. I had procrastinated but decided to be safe and had it done yesterday. My mechanic advised I was very lucky as the belt was close to failing. You could see deep exterior cracks about every 1/4 inch all the way around. The mechanic said he had never seen one with this many cracks that was still working. Be advised. Don't wait too long.
    How much money did it cost you to do the change?

Liked
    3 times

The 4.7 is an old school, proven, bulletproof design based on the 1989 Lexus 4.0 V8. Well almost bulletproof (has weaker connecting rods than the 1989 Lexus 4.0 V8 so be careful not to overrev the 4.7).

The 5.7 is all new (has resin coated internals, the 4 timing chains and the hydraulic roller rocker arm valve lifters). So it's the 5.7 owner who will be the test mules that will end up learning whether or not the motor has design weaknesses or not as the miles pile up.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I have 153k on my 2004 4.7. Thing still rocks out. I know a couple people that had 250k when they got rid of them. Take care of your engine and it will take care of you.

Love my Truck.

Liked
    17 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron224 View Post
    I just passed 232,000 miles on my 4.7L. Doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil between changes either. Take care of it and you will be taken care of.

Ditto, 367,000 Km ( 229,000 mi ) no leaks or loss of oil between changes. Compression is still up at 230 psi with variance less than 5 psi between cylinders.

Liked
    0 times

My old Landcruiser LX 450 had 250K on the dot. I trade it in for the Sequoia. I swear all I've did was the oil, filter and tires...Oh, one rear main seal, 500 bucks job.

That is why I came back and got the Sequoia, I didn't want the LX 470 due to expensive self leveling suspension and the leather.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I just turned 200,000 and getting ready to replace my timining belt again. Waited till 116,000 and it broke going 70 mph. It is an interference motor, but somehow no damage was done. The mechanic couldn't believe it. I'm definitely changing it this time.

Tom

Liked
    4 times

my '03 is already around 92k with no problems other than the O2 sensors going out as usual.
    2003 White Tundra Sr5 v8
    -stock for now.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

i have a 2002 Extended cab LTD 4X4 and i drive it like i stole it and i do maintenance on it like i still owe money on it and it I just turned to 135K miles and i am 100% satisfied with it.....
    2002 TOYOTA TUNDRA LTD – 265/75/17 Yokohama Geolander with 17” FJ Cruiser wheels – TRD Dual Cat back – JBA Shorty headers – K&N Dropin Filter – Dastek Unichip Q Series with Flux PDA and custom Dyno Tuned Map - Garmin Nuvi 1690 – Line X Bed Liner – TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Cover - Luverne 3" mandrell bent Side Steps – Toyota OEM Brake Upgrade (TSB) - PowerSlot Cryo Rotors - Hawk LTS Pads -Smittybuilt Grill Saver - Hella 500 Spot Lights & Clear covers - Tint front side windows - Toyota "Tundra" door sill protectors - Hellwig Rear sway bar - Bilstein 2.5" lift front and Bilstein 1.25" lift Rear

Audio upgrades - Alpine CDA-117 HU, Alpine PDX F4 (100w RMS x 4), Alpine PDX M6 (600w RMS x 1), Alpine RUX- KNOB, Boston S60's front, Boston SC65's Rear, Boston G310-44 Sub woofer, eKo Knu Power and Ground, 6 Channel Monster RCA's all round. (119.4 db)

Future Modifications - Dynamat.

SOLD

Click here for something fun to watch! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqXvQ8X4UJI

2002 Ford Explorer XLT – BabyMobile (Wife’s car) (“,)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

mine died today with 210,000 I am very, very upset over it and am trying to figure out what to do. I loved that truck so much and thought I would easily get 250,000 out of it.

Liked
    0 times

Get a used 5.7 and see if you can drop it in

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I just bought a 2000 4WD 4.7 with 309000 miles and it runs great. I totaled a 2002 4.7 2wd last week with 90000 miles. Can I remove the engine from the 2002 (still runs) and put it in the 2000 4wd? The only difference I see is that the 2002 has IForce written on it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-27-2012, 06:07 PM