Which Synthetic Oil for High Mileage

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Which Synthetic Oil for High Mileage

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Which Synthetic Oil for High Mileage

Hi Folks,

I have a choice I'm stuck with. My wife's 1999 4 Runner (3.4) has 135,000 miles and runs great. My 20001 Tundra (4.7) has 110,000 and also runs like a top. I've used Mobil 1 5w30 and Mobil 1 M-102 oil filters on both since new. In each, after turning 100,000 miles, I started changing the oil every 5,000 miles instaed of every 7,500 miles.

As a precaution, I'm wondering if I need to switch to Mobil's High Mileage versions for valve seal and engine extra protection. The 5w30 version of Mobil 1 High Mileage synthetic is hard to find. The 10w30 High Milage version is more common and easy to find. The manual suggest 5w30 for all temps and 10w30 for 0 degees and up.

In older engines without any oil usage issues (both seem not to use any oil), would using Mobil 1 10w30 High Milage cause issues except in winter (below 0)?

Thanks

Kevin
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, 4X4, SR-5 Package, TRD Off Road Pkg., 5.7 L FFV, Nautical Blue Metallic; Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust System #817486; Line-X bedliner application; ARE "Z" series Camper Shell, Husky Floor Liners, Auto Vent Shades, TRD Cold Air Induction system, TRD Anti-sway bar.

2011 Rav4 4WD, Pacific Blue Metallic, 2.5 L, Husky Floor Liners, Auto Vent Shades.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    4 times

Default Re: Which Synthetic Oil for High Mileage

M1 HM 5W30/10W30 are excellent oils. Choosing M1 oil and filters are definetly a long term investment, 7.5K OCI will be just fine. Going down to 5K OCI may well be a waste of money since the engine by now is completely broken down with less and less PPM to wear.

Good luck.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

DDVK,

Thanks.....the 5K OCI usually takes 3 months to attain, at 7.5 OCI, it may well be 2 OCI for the year. Purely protectionary for the 5k OCI. What's your take on the use of 10w30HM instead of 5w30HM or just staying with regular Mobil 1 5w30?
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, 4X4, SR-5 Package, TRD Off Road Pkg., 5.7 L FFV, Nautical Blue Metallic; Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust System #817486; Line-X bedliner application; ARE "Z" series Camper Shell, Husky Floor Liners, Auto Vent Shades, TRD Cold Air Induction system, TRD Anti-sway bar.

2011 Rav4 4WD, Pacific Blue Metallic, 2.5 L, Husky Floor Liners, Auto Vent Shades.

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Personally I would stick with what you're using now. I think that high mileage
    oil is a waste of money unless you have a problem that dictates using it, and
    even then I don't know if it would work.

I run Castrol 5W30 and actually started using their high mileage 5W30 for my
    2002 Tundra which has just over 97K miles on it. This was a while ago. I then
    realized I was just throwing money away and went back to the Castrol 5W30 GTX
    with no problems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I may make the change to synthetic
    soon, although my oil analysis came back very good with what I use. We'll see.

By the way, is there any way you can show us a picture of your 20,001 Tundra?
    Must be like the Jetsons.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kerryman71 View Post
    Personally I would stick with what you're using now. I think that high mileage
    oil is a waste of money unless you have a problem that dictates using it, and
    even then I don't know if it would work.

I run Castrol 5W30 and actually started using their high mileage 5W30 for my
    2002 Tundra which has just over 97K miles on it. This was a while ago. I then
    realized I was just throwing money away and went back to the Castrol 5W30 GTX
    with no problems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I may make the change to synthetic
    soon, although my oil analysis came back very good with what I use. We'll see.

By the way, is there any way you can show us a picture of your 20,001 Tundra?
    Must be like the Jetsons.

John
    Scottie's workin' on the warp drive so I can't take a picture of it yet....he says maybe tomorrow (dang, my finger must of hanged for that extra 0...)

Thanks for your take Kerryman71.