tightening new oil filter

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: tightening new oil filter

Liked
    0 times

Default tightening new oil filter

Do most folks use an oil filter wrench to tighten their replacement filters or just tighten it as much as you can by hand? I have found I cant get the whole 3/4 turn as recommended by hand, but dont want to use a wrench

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times

I've found if I use my hands or a wrench the filter pretty much bottoms out and comes up against the mounting plate when fully tightened, knock on wood I've never had a leak. Just be sure to lubricate the gasket with new oil before installing.

fly
    Liked
    0 times

If you are using a wrench to tighten your new filter, you are putting it on way to tight!

Liked
    2 times

SUGGEST

I tighten the filter down by hand, Then I put the wrench on and go 1/4 more. Never had a problem.
    "... nevertheless, thou may chose for thyself ..."
    Mormon Doctrine

Liked
    0 times

'til I started following this board I used Fram filters, the ones with the black grip end. Don't need a wrench on or off. Why don't all the filter makers do this?

Liked
    0 times

On another note, when my daughter brought her new car home for help changing the oil I figured "no problem." Well, I think they put the filter on with an impact wrench because I had to drive a metal stake through the filter then use a 3' galvanized pipe as a handle to break the d**n thing loose. Needless to say it was THE messiest oil change ever.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Originally posted by Wadingboy
    On another note, when my daughter brought her new car home for help changing the oil I figured "no problem." Well, I think they put the filter on with an impact wrench because I had to drive a metal stake through the filter then use a 3' galvanized pipe as a handle to break the d**n thing loose. Needless to say it was THE messiest oil change ever.
    I'd get yourself a set of oil filter pliers. You might not need them for 5 or 10 years but since it might cost you $10 it' worth it to have around when you need it. "It's all in the tools".

I prefer to buy tools when I have the chance knowing full well they'll "have their day" when I'm soooooo glad I bought them.

I even went as far as to get a large vise grips that is capable of clamping around a full sized filter (or a mason jar cap) because I've been through this too. Plus a regular pliers like filter wrench.

Sometims an end cap type wrench is handier too. Couple buck there too....

Though the worse I've ever had is to drive a phillips screw driver through it to form a handle and twist with that.

In almost all cases I would not *ever* advise tightening with a wrench. As long as it doesn't leak with the engine up to full temp, I don't worry about it and it will only seal tighter with time.

alan

fly
    Liked
    0 times

Originally posted by george60
    SUGGEST

I tighten the filter down by hand, Then I put the wrench on and go 1/4 more. Never had a problem.
    Why do you use a wrench? You should be able to make the quarter turn by hand.

Liked
    2 times

Why Do I Use A Wrench?

It's arthritis in my hands and the Tundra V8 oil filter is hard to get to.
    "... nevertheless, thou may chose for thyself ..."
    Mormon Doctrine

Liked
    1 times

Originally posted by fly
    If you are using a wrench to tighten your new filter, you are putting it on way to tight!
    Ditto.

Spin it on until it touches, then turn until its tight (about 1/2 to 3/4 turn) BY HAND.
    SATundra
    2001 Limited, V8, 2wd, TRD, Metallic Silver Sky

MODS:
    TIRES:
    Michelin LTX M/S LT265/75/R16 load C rated
    SUSPENSION:
    front - red/blu 4x4 HD Bilsteins shocks & HD TRD 4x4 coils providing 1.75" lift, rear - TRD add-a-leafs, Hellwig swaybar, yell/blu 4x4 Bilsteins
    INTERIOR: CB-Ham/Scanner/150W linear amp in custom console, 10 disc CD player, Donnelly comp/temp mirror, Toyota All Weather floormats, tinted windows, radar detector, backseat angle mod,
    EXTERIOR: Grizzly SS brushguard, Better Built alum toolbox w/lights, Weatherflector Ventvisors, chrome step tubes, UTR bedliner, hitch, SteelHorse Bull Rings, Mobil 1 oils, 2 TS stickers, 2 TS license frames, 2 www.TundraSolutions.com stickers,
    ELECTRICAL: 55W undercarriage entry lights, extra set 55W reverse lights, 55W underhood lights, DEI alarm, 12V Acc plug/engine compartment, 400watt power inverter, foglight/cargolight/acc plug/maplight mod

fly
    Liked
    0 times

Originally posted by george60
    Why Do I Use A Wrench?

Well, those are good reasons.
    I guess you don't take off the skid-plate off, so a wrench makes it easier to turn the filter.
    If you do it that way, you can use an old serpentine belt to unscrew the filter from top side, after you break it loose with the wrench, of course. Just a tip.

Liked
    4 times

I have the same problem. I've found that wearing a rubber glove gives me enough extra grip that I can usually get 3/4 - 1 turn more after the gasket makes contact.

ADDING POWER HAS NEVER BEEN SO FAST!

Liked
    0 times

Default Why no wrench?Older hands need an edge

I have read the "don't use a filter wrench to tighten the oil filter" for 35 years,and I generally can get the 3/4-1 turn(after touching) by hand,but sometimes the wrench is more convenient,especially if the filter is slippery,or the space is limited.The smaller filters don't allow as good a grip,and the smaller diameter gives you less mechanical advantage-less torque.If you take it easy with the wrench it should be fine.Mark the filter into quarters so you can tell how much you have turned it after meeting resistance.Older hands need an edge.Charlie

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Why no wrench?Older hands need an edge

Originally posted by charlie
    I have read the "don't use a filter wrench to tighten the oil filter" for 35 years,and I generally can get the 3/4-1 turn(after touching) by hand,but sometimes the wrench is more convenient,especially if the filter is slippery,or the space is limited.The smaller filters don't allow as good a grip,and the smaller diameter gives you less mechanical advantage-less torque.If you take it easy with the wrench it should be fine.Mark the filter into quarters so you can tell how much you have turned it after meeting resistance.Older hands need an edge.Charlie
    Personally, I don't really monitor how tight I have the filter by "turns". I get it spin on tight with oil on the filter gasket so it's pretty tight and then I'll "eyeball" the gasket squish as I tighten it up 1/2 turn. After that I just replicate it. Too, I think you can feel when it's properly tight by "feel". I guess it's really a combination of both for me.

You can practice by doing a 3/4 turn backing off to 1/2 turn (you need oil on the gasket) and you'll see how thick the gasket needs to be. After that, I'll just tighten 1/2 turn (which is enough) right away either in 1 step or 2 or "whatever".

If you're doing it for someone else (and you're not going to be the one to pull it off and you have to assume they are an idiot who won't guess that leaking oil means something), then I'd do the full 3/4 turn.

Alan