Badly need help with coolant change

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Badly need help with coolant change

Liked
    1 times

Default Badly need help with coolant change

I changed the coolant on my V6 Tundra today. Did everything according to the manual and the instructions on Maintainence Bay. Anyway, I drained the coolant (did both drain plugs on the V6), reinstalled the plugs, poured in new coolant, closed radiator and resevior cap...

When I bled the cooling system, however, the temperatur gauge soon went above the old usual temperature, and even though I had the knob turned all the way to heat, the air coming out of the AC vents are just cold. I shut the engine because I didn't want it to overheat due to some stupid mistake I might have made. I double checked the instructions and am 100% sure I did everything accordingly. What could have gone wrong? Thanks very much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Another thing... I could only manage to pour in maybe 5 or 6 liters of coolant before the radiator filled up, whereas the manual says the capacity is 10... Now where are the hidden 5 liters that I didn't drain?

Liked
    0 times

Just some guesses:

Capacity: Probably includes what's in the block and heater lines. So just draining the radiator won't get you all the way to capacity.

Overheating: Possible bad thermostat. Incorrect coolant mix. Air in the thermostat.

Hope you figure it out!
    Genthar

Rhino Lining, Waag one piece grille guard and wheel to wheel nerf bars, 3M Xpel on headlights, front corner lights, and foglights, Valentine One radar detector, XM Satellite radio, Navigon 7100 GPS, Lightforce 240 Blitz aux lights, Aux. reverse lights.
    AEM Brute force intake, courtesy of AEM Power and TundraSolutions.com
    Teamwest Coilovers, Camburg Upper A arms, Daystar Steering Rack Bushings, Total Chaos Diff Drop spacer, JBA Headers, Y-Pipe, and EVOL exhaust, Dynabead balancing media.

Liked
    1 times

Thanks for the quick reply Genthar.

I did drain the engine block. That drain plug was a b*tch to get to but I managed to eventually.

As to the coolant mix, I bought the pre-mixed kind, 50% antifreeze and 50% water.

If it's a bad thermostat, it would have broken down during my coolant change because I had NO problems prior to the coolant change.

Liked
    1 times

Did you check the fluid level AFTER it got hot? Im suspecting you took out 10 but only added 5-6 when you refilled. You have to start the truck, let it warm up until the thermostat opens, THEN finish adding the remaining fluid to it to total 10. Also dont forget to turn ON (turn temp knob to hot) the heater, this will allow water to flow through the heater core and get out the remaining air. Sounds like you only filled up the radiator and part of the block, maybe your missing fluid should be in the heater core.

Just something to check.
    SATundra
    2001 Limited, V8, 2wd, TRD, Metallic Silver Sky

MODS:
    TIRES:
    Michelin LTX M/S LT265/75/R16 load C rated
    SUSPENSION:
    front - red/blu 4x4 HD Bilsteins shocks & HD TRD 4x4 coils providing 1.75" lift, rear - TRD add-a-leafs, Hellwig swaybar, yell/blu 4x4 Bilsteins
    INTERIOR: CB-Ham/Scanner/150W linear amp in custom console, 10 disc CD player, Donnelly comp/temp mirror, Toyota All Weather floormats, tinted windows, radar detector, backseat angle mod,
    EXTERIOR: Grizzly SS brushguard, Better Built alum toolbox w/lights, Weatherflector Ventvisors, chrome step tubes, UTR bedliner, hitch, SteelHorse Bull Rings, Mobil 1 oils, 2 TS stickers, 2 TS license frames, 2 www.TundraSolutions.com stickers,
    ELECTRICAL: 55W undercarriage entry lights, extra set 55W reverse lights, 55W underhood lights, DEI alarm, 12V Acc plug/engine compartment, 400watt power inverter, foglight/cargolight/acc plug/maplight mod

Liked
    1 times

Good guess SATundra.

After I wrote the initial post, I went back outside to my Tundra to find out that the radiator was sucking coolant from the resevior. I filled up the resevior, started the truck again, and again it was approaching the red line on the temp gauge. (Yes I did turn on the heater).

So I turned off the engine, waited for it to cool down, and again coolant was being sucked out of the resevior, and so I filled up the resevior...... I repeated this whole process for about 4 or 5 times when Hallelujah! warm air began coming out from AC and the temp gauge stayed right in the middle. After all that, I had put in a good 8~9 liters of coolant. Problem gone. Yet another reminder not to expect life as we expect it to be.

Thanks again, Genthar and SATundra for your insights.

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    667 times
    Images

stupid question from the peanut gallery...

who, specifically, takes old coolant? (please dont tell me to find a gopher hole...heard that one )

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    103 times
    Images

The block heater bolt is easy to get at if you gather as many socket extensions together (2 feet or more) and access the bolt from the tire well. One thing that is easy to do and makes life easier down the road is remove the overflow tank and clean out the inside so it is spotless. I have a older Toyota that I purchased used and the overflow plastic was so dirty it was almost impossible to see the level without opening up the fill cap. I believe my V-6 Tundra is only held in place with 1 bolt.

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

Originally posted by DeepStealth

who, specifically, takes old coolant? (please dont tell me to find a gopher hole...heard that one )

-sean
    "Recycle/Disposal Options
    Antifreeze should not be disposed of by throwing it in the trash, pouring it down the storm sewer, or putting it into septic systems. Many storm sewers discharge directly to surface waters, such as ponds or streams. Degradation of the antifreeze consumes the oxygen in the water, effectively smothering plant and animal life in the pond or stream and causes a foul odor. Poured into a septic system, the antifreeze may damage the
    system by killing the microorganisms necessary for decomposition.
    Acceptable methods of managing used antifreeze include recycling, disposal at a hazardous waste treatment, storage, or disposal facility (TSDF), or discharge to a wastewater treatment plant with prior written approval of the Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW). Most wastewater treatment plants discourage sewering of used antifreeze, and many no longer allow discharges of antifreeze to their systems at all. Recycling used antifreeze is the preferred option."
    http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/hm/antifreeze.pdf

Call your local recycling center or public hazardous waste disposal center. Or ask a repair shop if you can add it to their waste antifreeze.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

dboy4ever,

I prefer to use full-strength antifreeze. I look up the cooling system capacity and add the correct amount of antifreeze for the proportion I want...40% in moderate climates, 50% for normal freezing winters, 60% for -30F and below. I then top off with distilled water. I've never gotten a system to drain completely. As you found, getting all the air bled out can be a chore. I flush the cooling system every two years, and change the thermostat maybe every four years...'stats wear out, and they're cheap.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Liked
    1 times

Originally posted by DeepStealth

-sean
    Cant say for certain, but I would "assume" Pep Boys would.

BTW we dont have gopher holes in this part of Texas but we do have Armadillo holes. All im gonna say is I keep mine in the garage.
    SATundra
    2001 Limited, V8, 2wd, TRD, Metallic Silver Sky

MODS:
    TIRES:
    Michelin LTX M/S LT265/75/R16 load C rated
    SUSPENSION:
    front - red/blu 4x4 HD Bilsteins shocks & HD TRD 4x4 coils providing 1.75" lift, rear - TRD add-a-leafs, Hellwig swaybar, yell/blu 4x4 Bilsteins
    INTERIOR: CB-Ham/Scanner/150W linear amp in custom console, 10 disc CD player, Donnelly comp/temp mirror, Toyota All Weather floormats, tinted windows, radar detector, backseat angle mod,
    EXTERIOR: Grizzly SS brushguard, Better Built alum toolbox w/lights, Weatherflector Ventvisors, chrome step tubes, UTR bedliner, hitch, SteelHorse Bull Rings, Mobil 1 oils, 2 TS stickers, 2 TS license frames, 2 www.TundraSolutions.com stickers,
    ELECTRICAL: 55W undercarriage entry lights, extra set 55W reverse lights, 55W underhood lights, DEI alarm, 12V Acc plug/engine compartment, 400watt power inverter, foglight/cargolight/acc plug/maplight mod

Liked
    1 times

Stealth, go to this website and then click "antifreeze" in the Auto category.
    http://www.earth911.org/master.asp?s...t=1&serviceid=

KLS, I know I should mix them myself, but I have a good excuse: I was too lazy.

An interesting side story. When I was doing the coolant change yesterday, a neighbor who works at a nearby Toyota dealership (whose identity will not be revealed) came over. I started complaining about the engine block drain, and the guy said what, there's only 1 drain plug, and that's on the radiator. So I showed him the service manual, and he was like okay but draining the radiator would be enough because that's all we do at the shop. I said then why do they put another drain plug on the engine, because draining the radiator is not a complete job.

Finally the guy was convinced. I showed him how hard the engine drain is to get to, and he said okay maybe that's why we skip it. Yeah, and that's why I prefer to do it myself.

That got me thinking... just how many things do they skip at the dealership in other maintainence procedures? My guess is don't rely on your fingers when counting them. This is where DIYing really pays off.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by dboy4ever
    I changed the coolant on my V6 Tundra today. Did everything according to the manual and the instructions on Maintainence Bay. Anyway, I drained the coolant (did both drain plugs on the V6), reinstalled the plugs, poured in new coolant, closed radiator and resevior cap...

When I bled the cooling system, however, the temperatur gauge soon went above the old usual temperature, and even though I had the knob turned all the way to heat, the air coming out of the AC vents are just cold. I shut the engine because I didn't want it to overheat due to some stupid mistake I might have made. I double checked the instructions and am 100% sure I did everything accordingly. What could have gone wrong? Thanks very much.
    How do you "Bleed" your coolant system?

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Crazychopstick
    How do you "Bleed" your coolant system?
    Good question. As far as I can remember, "bleeding" the coolant simply means the following.

Once you've filled up with new coolant, turning on the engine. Turn the A/C on, the temperature knob (the blue/red one) all the way to maximum heat, and the fan control to highest wind.

You may notice the air coming out is not hot at all. But keep the engine and A/C running until hot air comes out. In the meantime, check the coolant resevoir level periodically and fill up if necessary. Stop when hot air comes out of the A/C.

Liked
    0 times

Default Just did the Sequoia @ 30K

So here's what Chiltons told me to do (when the rubber met the road, I couldn't stand to spend $200 on OEM manuals ;-(

The drain thing - OEM coolant is ethylene glycol and bad for the environment. Got to collect all that stuff, not just flush it out. So, we drain the radiator into a bucket. Then we drain the block (two valves on the 2UZ) into another bucket. Close all the drains.

The flush thing - Once the system is drained, pull the thermostat housing off, pull the thermostat out, and reinstall the thermostat housing without the thermostat. Disconnect the hose going from there to the top of the radiator at the radiator. Stuff a garden hose into the radiator in the hole opened by removing the input hose. Install radiator cap. Turn hose on, turn engine on, turn heater on hot, turn fan on full. Return to engine bay to find water being exhausted from the thermostat hose onto the fan, which is slung ALL over. Wait until the water runs really clear. Secure engine and water. DRAIN the radiator and block again. Reinstall the thermostat and reconnect the radiator hose. Remove the resevoir to flush and empty. Note: after looking at the book again, you might not need to run the engine during this step, which would keep you from spraying water all over the place).

The fill thing - After you make sure all drain plugs are secure, SLOWLY start filling your radiator through the cap until it's full. Put cap on. Partially fill the resevoir. Run engine with heater/fan on hot. Feel that radiator input hose you had removed and reinstalled; once it gets hot, your thermostat's opened. Turn the engine off and let it cool long enough to be safe to open the radiator. SLOWLY refill the radiator, and squeeze the input line to move bubbles from the line into the radiator. Add more coolant if necessary. Finish filling the resevoir up to the FULL line. Inspect for leaks.

The follow-up - after a couple days, you'll want to come back and check/fill the resevoir level; mine dropped a few inches.

Here's the coolant deal: if you didn't use the Toyota poison coolant, and used some of the clean stuff, you wouldn't have to drain. I'm pretty sure you could just pull the thermostat and do the flush thing step to both empty and flush. Still have to get under there to drain the tap water after flushing, but it'd save you from doing it twice. I for one have had so many coolant system failures in my life that with the Sequoia, I take no chances. OEM stuff right at 30K (18 months).
    2003 TOYOTA Sequoia SR5: 89K, TRD cat-back, fueled by Chevron; M1 oil/filter
    2000 TOYOTA Epic S22: Powered by Lexus 1UZ w/VVTi, Chevron/M1
    1995 TOYOTA Hilux: 206K, any gas, any filter, first 100K Castrol Syntec, GTX since

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.