Have you had STARTER problems?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Have you had STARTER problems?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question Have you had STARTER problems?

I recently started having a problem on my 2000 Tundra V8 where the first turn of the key acts like a dead battery. I can turn it back and crank it again with no problem and she starts right up.

Has anyone replaced their starter or does anyone know can the contacts only be replaced? The local dealer quoted me $750 to replace the whole starter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Have you had STARTER problems?

Originally posted by grofva
    I recently started having a problem on my 2000 Tundra V8 where the first turn of the key acts like a dead battery. I can turn it back and crank it again with no problem and she starts right up.

Has anyone replaced their starter or does anyone know can the contacts only be replaced? The local dealer quoted me $750 to replace the whole starter.
    When I had 80 watt bulbs in my headlight and fogs and turned those on all the time I would run into a problem like that. Not dead, but like a bad starter.

I actually had the dealer replace it and it went away for a while. But it came back later. Only happened once in a while sometimes hot, sometimes stone cold.

Then I started turning off the fogs and I've got 55 watt bulbs in there and still no problem. Turned the fogs back on and saw the problem again. Left them off and no problem.

I'm guessing that it has more to do with the batter not holding enough voltage but not being bad enough to replace.

It might be a weak relay or even a contact in the key itself.

Same thing though. On - no start. Back off and redo it and it's fine. Eventually I got to the point that I had to return up to 6 times - that's when they replaced the starter with a new one.

Didn't solve the problem though.

Alan

Liked
    17 times

My wife's 81 Corolla did the same thing last spring. I did notice that it only acted up after it sat for awhile, like over night. Turned out to be the battery.

BTW
    That quote of $750, did it include the new starter and labor? A long time ago on this site it was stated the the cost of replacing the V8 starter at a dealer was $1500.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Originally posted by Don H
    My wife's 81 Corolla did the same thing last spring. I did notice that it only acted up after it sat for awhile, like over night. Turned out to be the battery.

BTW
    That quote of $750, did it include the new starter and labor? A long time ago on this site it was stated the the cost of replacing the V8 starter at a dealer was $1500.
    The reason it's so expensive is the labor. The starter itself probably is outrageously expensive too ($200, $300) but you have to remove the intake manifold as the starter is between the cylinder banks smack in the upper rear center of the engine.

It's a LOT of labor. Man, you don't want that thing going out. I don't know why they didn't move it for Tundra and the Landcruiser because you have room to put it somewhere else for sure.

They could have redone the mounts I'm sure. Maybe it would have been too much. It will be a real poke in the eye when those start going out. Even if it's only due to brushes!!!

Alan

Liked
    2 times

Originally posted by akauth
    I don't know why they didn't move it for Tundra and the Landcruiser because you have room to put it somewhere else for sure.

Alan
    It would cost Toyota big bucks to relocate that starter.
    stock exhaust
    Formerly Modified JBA headers now SSautochrome headers temporarily
    TRD LSD
    Extang lift off tonneau
    Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
    stock air filter & box

220 HP @ 4800 RPM
    302 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Run With Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, stock air filter, and JBA headers

208 HP @ 4800 RPM
    285 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Run With Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, TRD air filter, and stock manifolds

204 HP @ 4800 RPM
    271 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Bone stock

Quarter mile 15.526 @ 87.17 mph bone stock in 40-degree weather 2WD SR5 V8.
    Quarter mile 15.389 @ 88.66 mph modified in 60-degree weather 2WD SR5 V8.

0-60 IN 6.88 seconds on G-tech
    Dyno run results click here

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default starter problem

First check all the electrical connections at the battery and on the starter. Second the reason the starter was located under the intake is that the starter stays much cooler and lasts longer. Under the hot exhaust manifolds shorten the life of the starters. On previous Lexus models this starter lived for well over 100-125,000 miles. Third the problem your describing may be the stud contact that your battery cable attachs to on the starter. Previous years starters on certain Toyota models had this wear problem. These contacts were available for these starters and that was all that needed to be replaced. You would have to check with a dealer to see if these contacts are available. If they stock them then they are replacing them. Also check to see if the dealership stocks the starter as that would be another indication that the starter maybe experiencing failure. Most dealers don't stock any parts that don't sell a least 3 times in twelve months.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: starter problem

Originally posted by rgerdes
    First check all the electrical connections at the battery and on the starter. Second the reason the starter was located under the intake is that the starter stays much cooler and lasts longer. Under the hot exhaust manifolds shorten the life of the starters. On previous Lexus models this starter lived for well over 100-125,000 miles. Third the problem your describing may be the stud contact that your battery cable attachs to on the starter. Previous years starters on certain Toyota models had this wear problem. These contacts were available for these starters and that was all that needed to be replaced. You would have to check with a dealer to see if these contacts are available. If they stock them then they are replacing them. Also check to see if the dealership stocks the starter as that would be another indication that the starter maybe experiencing failure. Most dealers don't stock any parts that don't sell a least 3 times in twelve months.
    You know, I'd rather have a starter that I knew was going to have to be replaced at 100k miles rather than where they put it.

Even if was at 80k miles I'd still swap locations. Too, if they had to be rebuilt a lot, the rebuilt starters actually get a lot cheaper. The labor on a starter change for that engine bay *should* be 15 minutes, maybe a half hour instead of a 4 hour job.

If I did it myself I could replace 4 starters in a "standard" location for one done by the dealer in it's current location. Unless those starters last 300,000-400,000 miles it doesn't make sense. You *know* it's going to go out and is a "wear" item.

You *know* that the starter is going to go out even if it's only brushes that need to be replaced and I do think they could have done a better job of locating that starter (unless they designed it so it's a lifetime part which is very unlikely).

Alan

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Re: Have you had STARTER problems?

My 2000 4runner is having the *exact* problem when starting. Sometimes it starts right up, sometime it just gives a click like the battery is dead. I know that's not the case as I replaced it last year. It started doing this when I replaced the battery and the battery posts, which were totally corroded. This battery was suggested and purchased at AZ. I used a temporary fix on the negative post, but today I put a brand new post connector and used corrosive cleaner on both of them. Now it only starts after about 100 attempts and is getting quite painful. My gut tells me it's a connection problem, but called a mechanic and he went right for the starter. (ugh expensive!) Any suggestions? If I can get it started, I'm going to do the diagnostic test at Autozone. I just cannot afford the new starter plus labor right now. Thankz!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Its the solenoid contacts within the starter. There are part numbers in one of the previous posts on this issue. Gaskets and parts will run <$75.
    '01 tundra TRD SR5 4x4 access cab, rear Helwig sway bar, front poly end-links, poly rack and pinion bushings, temp/compass mirror, '05 tail lights, JL audio stealthbox and amp, 6x9 Sony rear spkrs, TO-25 door tweeters, new '03 TRD coilovers w/daytech 3/4" poly spacer, rear HD-Bilsteins, all weather mats, rear seat mod, Draw-Tite bugshield, and TRD limited-slip diff.

Liked
    178 times
    Images

Count me in too. This only happens once in a while like twice a month for the last 6 months now. It will click, click, start half way, turn the key again and will start just fine. It only sems to do it when it has been sitting for a while (overnight) or if I'm listening to music while the truck is off. Is this the starter or does this sound like a battery problem, I'm praying its a battery problem. Also if it is the starter is there anyone or anyhow I can do this myself. Thanks.
    2003 Sequoia Limited 4wd- Revtec lift, 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers

Life's a bore, I'm going pig hunting...

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Derek24 View Post
    Count me in too. This only happens once in a while like twice a month for the last 6 months now. It will click, click, start half way, turn the key again and will start just fine. It only sems to do it when it has been sitting for a while (overnight) or if I'm listening to music while the truck is off. Is this the starter or does this sound like a battery problem, I'm praying its a battery problem. Also if it is the starter is there anyone or anyhow I can do this myself. Thanks.
    It's not a do it yourself for most people because you have to take off the intake manifold to get to the starter to replace the contacts.

As I remember, there is a relay you can try to replace also in the engine bay.

Liked
    2 times

************************************************** ***************************

Mine was simple. Replace the starter relay in the under-hood fuse box.

************************************************** **********************************
    "... nevertheless, thou may chose for thyself ..."
    Mormon Doctrine

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I am also haveing this problem... only it is really getting bad, i can go for 5 or more minutes trying to start and only getting a click sound and no turn over then it will almost start and takes a couple more tries to fully start and run... thought it was low fuel pressure cause was only happening when the tank was below 1/4 but not it does it when tank it full also... i have the ability to change the starter but don't know if that is really the problem and don't have the money to just throw away at a problem till i fix it... already learned that from the check engine light with a code for the front right O2 sensor... ended up buying 2 different sets of front O2 sensors before i got the dang thing fixed... if someone could describe what to look for on the starter relay to figure out if that is good or bad and where else to look before i pull off the dang intake manifold for nothing i would appreciate it... i have acess to a multimeter and all the regular tools i would need for doing work on this truck as i work in the army fixing helicopters so i think i can figure this out with a bit of help...

Liked
    0 times

My 05 is starting to do this on a regular basis... and this will be the 4th battery I've put in the truck. Does anyone know if this is difinitively the starter leads, relay, battery cable?
    I came out to my garage this morning and heard the fuel pump running prior to even getting in the truck.... so frustrating.
    05 Tundra SR5 2wd 2.5 Hoes Total Chaos UCAs JBA Headers 285/75/16 MT/Rs

Searching for rear 4.30 gears. PM me if you've got some for sale.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default starter replaced for toyota tundra 2000.

This forum was really helpful, I have some knoledge of mechanic work but had never replaced the starter for my truck. It was a P.I.A for about ten hours, it was hard but saved myself $400. And got the knowledge. Had some troubles turning the truck back on after finishing. Reviewed the steps. And got the problem solved. ehow is a very helpfull application too.