low oil pressure at idle

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: low oil pressure at idle

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default low oil pressure at idle

I just put a mechanical wide sweep oil pressure gauge on my 03 Tundra V8 to monitor the true reading at idle. I goes from 75 lbs at highway to 15 lbs at idle. I have a loud tap, that started two months ago when starting it up cold, for just a minute when tempature is less than 47 degrees.The tapping sound is like two rocker arms both having a 1/4" gap clearence.
    My is still under warrenty and Toyota is giving me a run around.

My 1st complaint was the factory gauge with lines is reading lower than normal at idle [1st line from bottom on gauge],Answer-See no leaks and gauge responding correctly.

My 2nd complaint was truck tapped when starting cold. Answer= See tapping CAN BE normal till fully warm due to Hyper Tention Pistons
    I bought truck new and the tap has only been the last two months.
    The dealer does hear a small tap all the time, only when its in drive.

They has the truck again one day this week,but could not check oil pressure, because their only gauge in shop was broken.That is why I put my own gauge on.

What should be the lowest normal oil pressure reading at idle?
    Thanks in advance Al

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: low oil pressure at idle

I have a mech. oil pressure gauge in my truck too. When its warm and idling it'll stay between 15 and 18 psi. When i start it up in the morning it will run around 70-80 and easily hit 100psi or over, if i mash the throttle when the motor is still cold. When's the last time you changed or checked your oil? I changed my oil the other day and noticed that it now has better oil pressure then it did before. It also depends on what ACC. you have on. I have a low oil pressure warning light that comes on when the oil pressure goes under 18. I noticed it would come on when I turned my headlights on, heat on high, and whatever else.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    24 times

hi, wow i have no idea what you have.
    i have a oil pressure guage. it looks like the fuel guage.
    when i start it it goes a little higher than 1/2 than, when it heats up or when the tundra is warm, it drops slows down to 1/4 and as i drive it's highest it ever goes is a very little past the 1/2 way mark. it used to before all my mods, go from 1/4 to 3/4. but since all my mod's the pressure has gone down.
    which from what i have been told is good.
    i wish i knew what other type of extra guage you guys have. but all i can tell you is what the tundra comes with.
    good luck, if that helps,
    gorilla

Liked
    2203 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alemmoe View Post
    I just put a mechanical wide sweep oil pressure gauge on my 03 Tundra V8 to monitor the true reading at idle. I goes from 75 lbs at highway to 15 lbs at idle. I have a loud tap, that started two months ago when starting it up cold, for just a minute when tempature is less than 47 degrees.The tapping sound is like two rocker arms both having a 1/4" gap clearence.
    My is still under warrenty and Toyota is giving me a run around.

My 1st complaint was the factory gauge with lines is reading lower than normal at idle [1st line from bottom on gauge],Answer-See no leaks and gauge responding correctly.

My 2nd complaint was truck tapped when starting cold. Answer= See tapping CAN BE normal till fully warm due to Hyper Tention Pistons
    I bought truck new and the tap has only been the last two months.
    The dealer does hear a small tap all the time, only when its in drive.

They has the truck again one day this week,but could not check oil pressure, because their only gauge in shop was broken.That is why I put my own gauge on.

What should be the lowest normal oil pressure reading at idle?
    Thanks in advance Al
    Not being there to hear in in person it is hard to diagnose but your tapping sounds to me like a cracked header - pretty common on our trucks.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

I know the old rule of thumb was 10 psi per 1000 rpm. The oil pump is driven off of the crank I believe. I have had many cars that will tick, ping or knock when you fire them up cold and then go away. The tight tolerances in today's motors will do that until the metal warms and the oil starts to pump. now if it knocks when warm you have a issue.
    At least they have circled the problem.

Liked
    0 times

When idling my oil pressure guage has always been near the L mark on my 2002 Tundra. I use 5W-30.

Scoob

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Yes that is where mine is too. But to be honest that gauge is just about worthless.
    At least they have circled the problem.

Liked
    2943 times
    Images

According to Chilton:

Oil Pressure Specification
    V8 Models
    At curb idle: 4 to 5 psi
    At 3000 rpm: 43 to 85 psi

It doesn't specify, but I would assume that these numbers should be read with new 5W-30 motor oil, a new filter, and warmed to standard operating temperature.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    2943 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 400exboy2 View Post
    I have a mech. oil pressure gauge in my truck too. When its warm and idling it'll stay between 15 and 18 psi. When i start it up in the morning it will run around 70-80 and easily hit 100psi or over, if i mash the throttle when the motor is still cold.
    Where did you install the mechanical gauge? These numbers are higher than that posted by the Chilton's and Haynes manuals. And why would you "mash the throttle" on a cold motor?

When's the last time you changed or checked your oil? I changed my oil the other day and noticed that it now has better oil pressure then it did before.
    What do you mean by "better"?? Higher than the above readings? Lower?

It also depends on what ACC. you have on. I have a low oil pressure warning light that comes on when the oil pressure goes under 18. I noticed it would come on when I turned my headlights on, heat on high, and whatever else.
    I would argue that you have a "warning light" that is pointless as it has too high of a lower set threshhold. Simply turning on vehicle accessories should not trigger an oil pressure warning light.
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    0 times

When my Exhaust manifold cracked it sounded exactly like a ticking valve. It was cracked at the weld for the flange ant the front driver side exhaust port. It would quiet down after it warmed up but would always be there in the background. 15psi sounds right for idle with thinner oil, especially here in my neck of the woods (warm weather).
    John has a long mustache...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I always change the 10-30 oil more frequently than recommended. I always have forced Kerosene
    into the oil pan with a suction gun and let it drain out completely. After doing it three times,the inside the pan is squeeky clean and the new oil stays clearer much longer. In fact its hard to see the oil line on dip stick.
    The dealer questioned me on what brand filter I used. I always used Fram,but I tried a toyota brand and found the level on low and high reading was 1/8" higher during warm up only and also when starting cold, the pressure went up over 3/4 mark on factory gauge, until operating tempature was normal,then started to drop swiftly

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Not much luck on the factory oil pressure guage problem I see. Shame that's one of the most important guages in the dash.

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    527 times
    Images

so is low pressure better than high on the gauge?
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    2943 times
    Images

Do-It-Yourself Re: low oil pressure at idle

Quote Originally Posted by 2003bajatundra4x4ac View Post
    so is low pressure better than high on the gauge?
    Strictly speaking, neither. Oil pressure is a function of volume, pump speed, viscosity, and flow. Low oil volume = decreased pressure. Flow restrictions = increased pressure. What is important is to be aware how, when, and why the indicated pressure fluctuates. If you're at 2,500rpm driving down the freeway and your pressure indicator is at the low end, something is wrong; you either are a quart (or two) low, or you have a potential oil leak somewhere.

Also, note that the 2UZFE oil pumps are shaft driven, so as RPMs increase, all else being equal, the pressure (indicated) will increase.

Liked
    24 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    Strictly speaking, neither. Oil pressure is a function of volume, pump speed, viscosity, and flow. Low oil volume = decreased pressure. Flow restrictions = increased pressure. What is important is to be aware how, when, and why the indicated pressure fluctuates. If you're at 2,500rpm driving down the freeway and your pressure indicator is at the low end, something is wrong; you either are a quart (or two) low, or you have a potential oil leak somewhere.

Also, note that the 2UZFE oil pumps are shaft driven, so as RPMs increase, all else being equal, the pressure (indicated) will increase.
    I agree. For what it is worth, most people on this site with the factory guage have reported indications around 1/2 scale at idle after a few minutes on cold start up and 3/4 scale when driving (2000 - 2500 RPM) when cold. When the engine reaches normal operating temperature, the readings reported have been around 1/4 scale at idle and around 1/2 scale when driving (2000 - 2500 RPM). I have observed similar readings on my truck. I believe there was a TSB on early models regarding replacing the oil pressure sender for low pressure readings but I do not have the TSB number or details.

I am convinced that these are 300K mile engines with 100K mile transmissions (at least on the 2000 - 2002 transmissions). I may be biased since my transmission lost O.D. at 105K on a 2000 model, but this is an oil pressure thread not a tranny thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast