Fuel Cells

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Fuel Cells

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Fuel Cells

Anyone installed a fuel cell in their Tundra? Whose fuel pump did you use and what fuel pressure must it be regulated at? I'm looking at getting a 35-gallon Fuel Safe cell and need to also know if there's a sending unit that will adapt to the factory fuel level gauge. thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Joe
    Liked
    2 times

I'm having one installed and I'm going with an electric fuel pump and they were able to match up a sending unit so my gauge will still be accurate. When I get the particulars I'll post them.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Im not exactly sure of the purposes of a fuel cell, but if I was gonna get another tank, or a different tank, Id get one about 100 gallons. That way I only have to fill up once every 3 months! Oh and Id just blown up in an accident too i suppose.

Joe
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by file014
    Im not exactly sure of the purposes of a fuel cell, but if I was gonna get another tank, or a different tank, Id get one about 100 gallons. That way I only have to fill up once every 3 months! Oh and Id just blown up in an accident too i suppose.
    Fuel cells have several purposes - on specialty rock crawling rigs they run 8 to 10 gallon cells to cut down on weight, some off-road rigs want the weight on the passenger side to help off-set the driver's fat arce for better weight distribution, long range off-road rigs want a little larger tank so they don't have to carry so many 6-gallon gas cans and also don't want to worry about punching a hole in the tank (this refers to a bed mounted fuel cell) and some just want extended range while traveling cross-country. 35 to 40 gallons is normally as large as you want to go. With a 4-link rear I had to replace my tank and I requested a custom built tank (several baffles) in the area of 40 gallons +/- with the sending unit situated in the rear/middle of the tank so when I'm mainly climbing and running with minimum fuel, I might run dry on a steep downward incline but I won't run out of fuel while attempting a steep climb.

700+ pounds of fuel is a bunch so you'll have to beef that Tundra up a little to carry it around.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Fuel cells have several purposes - on specialty rock crawling rigs they run 8 to 10 gallon cells to cut down on weight, some off-road rigs want the weight on the passenger side to help off-set the driver's fat arce for better weight distribution, long range off-road rigs want a little larger tank so they don't have to carry so many 6-gallon gas cans and also don't want to worry about punching a hole in the tank (this refers to a bed mounted fuel cell) and some just want extended range while traveling cross-country. 35 to 40 gallons is normally as large as you want to go. With a 4-link rear I had to replace my tank and I requested a custom built tank (several baffles) in the area of 40 gallons +/- with the sending unit situated in the rear/middle of the tank so when I'm mainly climbing and running with minimum fuel, I might run dry on a steep downward incline but I won't run out of fuel while attempting a steep climb.

700+ pounds of fuel is a bunch so you'll have to beef that Tundra up a little to carry it around.
    Joe- have you got any pics of your 4-link setup? Do you know whose fuel pump and regulator you have for the fuel cell? i need to know what fuel pressure to run and what sending unit. thanks!

Joe
    Liked
    2 times

I don't have any pictures yet as the 4-link will be installed early next week. I pick my vehicle up a week from today. I'll have all the info and some pictures, which I'll post no later than the 15th.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    I don't have any pictures yet as the 4-link will be installed early next week. I pick my vehicle up a week from today. I'll have all the info and some pictures, which I'll post no later than the 15th.
    whose building and installing the 4-link and what did you do for front suspension?