Erratic fuel gauge

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erratic fuel gauge

Liked
    0 times

Default Erratic fuel gauge

Has anyone out there experienced any fluctuations in their fuel gauge readings? I have a 2002 V8 Tundra, 4wd and noticed sometimes when cruising 75-80 mph the gauge will dip down to nearly half full. This is with a full tank of gas. Then it will slowly drift back up to where it should be. One of those sporadic problems that may be hard to track down, I suspect. No difference in how the engine runs & not really a problem since I keep a full tank & watch my odometer. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    616 times
    Images

yeah, my 00 does the exact same thing. dunno what the problem is...dealership didn't want to mess with it (too hard to track down), but charged me 20 bucks for putting a "check requested" line on the invoice .

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Yeah, I'm in this club too. 2001 w/50k+ mi. Happens to me at various times...idling and moving. Too bad the tank access is so restricted for troubleshooting. Agreed the odometer is a good backup.Yeah, I'm in this club too. 2001 V8 50k+ mi. Happens to me at various times...idling or moving. Too bad the tank access is so restricted for troubleshooting it. Agreed the odometer acts as a good backup.

Liked
    0 times

The fuel gauge on my 2000 did the same thing about a year ago. It usually occured about 40-50 miles after I had filled up. The gauge would sometimes drop to 1/2 or 1/4 tank and then gradually return back to normal after 10 or 20 miles. I took it to my dealer and explained what was happening in detail and suggested there was a bad spot on the fuel level sending unit in the tank. The service writer agreed and they replaced the level sending unit under warranty no questions asked. That fixed the problem, at least for the past year or so since I had it done.

Liked
    0 times

Mine does that. at about 105 miles on every tank of gas the needle drops from 3/4 to 1/2, by 120 it is back up to just under 3/4's, then it passes 1/2 again at around 180, sits there for a while, then drops to 1/4 at about 260, then slowly moves down to empty by 320.

This used to bug me until I started driving my work truck a '00 F350 powerstroke superduty. Driving to michigan one week (from florida) the gas guage worked normally for a few tanks, then I realized that I had gone over 200 miles after a fillup (I always reset the trip-o-meter) and the gauge had not moved off full yet. I pulled over turned the engine off, and restarted it and the gauge dropped to half. At the time the truck had 18,000 miles on it, it only does it if you fill up, and then drive nonstop - but if you are on a trip and don't stop for any reason it can cause you some serious grief. Luckily though the low fuel light would come on regardless of the gauge reading. It would do this every 7 or 8 tankfuls.
    2000 4x4 LTD AC Sunfire Red - Sold w/ 200K

2005 4x4 LTD AC Phantom grey w/ dark grey - Sold w/ 20K

Alpine CDA-9835, W/ KCA-420i, Focal 165KP front, Focal 165V Rear speakers. powered by 2 MMats SQ2150 amps. Alpine MRD-M501 powering a JL Stealthbox with Infinity Perfect 10D VQ

Sound deadened everything with Cascade VB2HD, and Dynamat Extreme

2005 G35 Sedan 6MT - Returned due to paint work on a 'new' car.

2006 G35 Sedan 6MT - all stock. Where do I hook up the trailer and where's the bass?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Mine had the same symptoms until tuesday when it went half way down the E and has not come back up. I have 41K on extended warranty and will try to take it in this weekend for a checkup and eventually a change under warranty. I hope!

I hate having to go back. Especially when I have to be there by 7:00 a.m. (wake up at 6:00 a.m.) and not get out until 11:00 a.m. First come first serve! What a way to spend my Saturday again! Thanks Toyota! I'm having real second thoughts about this truck! I was thinking of a second Toyota car or suv for my mom but know I just don't know!
    MODS:
    20"Enkei Wheels--Red Top Optima Bat--LineX Bedliner

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default TSB For Erratic Fuel Reading

Toyota issued TSB EL017-03 on 12/23/2003 which addresses known concerns about erratic fuel readings, stating the fuel sending unit is to be replaced under warranty. Have a look.

Happy holidays to all...

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack McDermott
    Toyota issued TSB EL017-03 on 12/23/2003 which addresses known concerns about erratic fuel readings, stating the fuel sending unit is to be replaced under warranty. Have a look.

Happy holidays to all...

Took it in today and sure enough it was the sending unit. I'm out $25 for the diagnosis. I'm sorry this TSB didn't come out before my unit went out and I was over 36K. $368 (as I recall) just for the sending unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not including labor! Happy holidays to you too!
    MODS:

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack McDermott

Happy holidays to all...
    Jack, I think this TSB is for the oil pressure and not the fuel gauge.

TSB EL017-03 ELECTRICAL
    Title:
    OIL PRESSURE GAUGE READS LOW
    Models:
    01 04 Sequoia & 00 02 Tundra

Could it be a different number?
    MODS:

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Black-Tundra-22
    Jack, I think this TSB is for the oil pressure and not the fuel gauge.

TSB EL017-03 ELECTRICAL
    Title:
    OIL PRESSURE GAUGE READS LOW
    Models:
    01 04 Sequoia & 00 02 Tundra

Could it be a different number?
    Hello again...
    Nope...right number, wrong problem. Obviously I misread the TSB. Thanks for keeping me honest.
    Happy holidays...
    Jack

Liked
    0 times

Ditto! Same thing!
    At 24-40 miles after a fillup... goes to then after about 10 minutes back to "normal".. whatever that is... anyway.. I have said something to the Toyota dealership about this.. and they ARE aware of the problem, at least mine. I have the 100,000 warrenty.. so I will get it addressed!
    SCDTRD
    The Beast:
    1994 Toyota Camry V6 XLE

The Mods:
    Front tower Ractive Strut Bar, Whiteline rear AntiSway Bar, Rage Breaker 17.5x7 Rims and Falken Ziex 512 rubber, Limo Tint, Pioneer DEH 7700MP Head Unit, Polk 6x9 rear and Polk 6.5 Front speakers, Tokico struts front and rear, Carbon kevlar brake pads, Cryo treated rotors, ZEX 82021 N2O system, Polished and ported upper and lower intake runners, shift kit, ZEX 100 Shot wet Nitrousoxide system, and more to come.....and.... YES... it is a CAMRY....

"Back in the black!"

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Gas Gauge

Last night when I got home from work I noticed I had about 3/4's of a tank of gas. This morning when leaving I watched the gas gauge drop down to a 1/4 tank then five minutes leveled back up to the original mark. Has anyone seen this before. Also I park my truck in the garage at night so there shouldn't be a weather issue.

Liked
    0 times

YEAH!! Mine did this a few weeks back while I was driving. I had just filled up and usally go about 50 miles before the needle starts to move...I was nearing 30 or so miles when I started watching the needle plummet slowly, but steadily to the half tank mark!! My first thought was a hole in my tank!! I stopped on the highway and checked everything out. No hole. No problem. Shut the truck down and let her sit for 2-3 minutes...restart and the needle went back to where it should've been...hasven't had a problem since. I do park outside...kinda strange phenomena...
    2004 Pontiac GTO 575 ponies
    2008 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Edition

Liked
    0 times

Default Probably a bad sender in the tank

Discussed at length previously in this thread
    Ray

Natural White '03 Access Cab V8 SR5 4X4 with TRD Off Road Suspension, Limited Slip Differential, and Towing Package

Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Hellwig Anti-Roll bar, Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller, Autometer Z-Series Transmission Temperature Gauge, Magnefine Transmission Filter
    Utility & Misc Mods: Genuine Toyota OEM Step (Nerf) bars, Peragon Tonneau Cover, TracRac Rack and Rail System, Muth Signal Mirrors, Pop&Lock tailgate lock, TruSpeed speedometer calibrator, "$20" RS-3200 Upgrade, Auto-Dimming mirror w/ Temp and Compass, Clear/Red/Clear Taillights with Silverstar Signal bulbs, 3M Clear Bra

Liked
    0 times

Default Problem solved

Been a while since I checked in...

Just before my mileage hit 36K last October, I took it to the dealer. They replaced the fuel sending unit (along with the seat belt retractors, oxygen sensors, repainted the battery holddown bracket, & checked the brakes). All covered under warranty. No problems since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast