Puff of Blue Smoke on Startup

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Puff of Blue Smoke on Startup

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Puff of Blue Smoke on Startup

If the truck has been sitting for awhile, overnight say, 90% of the time I get a puff of blue smoke out the pipes on startup and then it's gone. It will not do it again that day. It does not consume any oil. It's the 4.7. Anyone else experience this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    17 times

I park my truck in a garage and, I suppose depending on which way the wind is blowing, I'll sometimes get a small cloud of blue smoke in the garage. The day after I got back from vacation towing my boat, about 1200 lb, I went to back the truck out of the garage to wash it and the cloud of blue was really noticeable. Although it's annoying, I don't think this is anything to worry about and is just characteristic of the engine and even may be designed that way for lubrication purposes.
    As to using oil. My vacation trip totaled 1500 hard miles towing the boat and the truck used just enough oil to see a change on the dipstick. Maybe 1 or 2 ounces, which I find perfectly acceptable.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by truck'n
    If the truck has been sitting for awhile, overnight say, 90% of the time I get a puff of blue smoke out the pipes on startup and then it's gone. It will not do it again that day. It does not consume any oil. It's the 4.7. Anyone else experience this?

My 2000 did this and there were several other posts way back about it. I called the Toyota rep and he said nothing to worry bout. Mine had the wrong dipstick so it was overfilled for awhile, but I think some else mentioned that the circumstances of humidity ,temp and emmissions systems puts to much oil in intake manifold and on short trips it does not get a chance to burn out & upon start up it puffs a little.. Mine did it for awhile when new and now will not do it at all. Guess I drive it a little harder now..

Liked
    0 times

may be the valve seals?
    2003 Natural White Access Cab SR5 V8

15.8 @ 85.1 stock

Liked
    0 times

My Supra did the same thing for years. Took it to the Toyota shop and they thought it was the valve seals. Never fixed it, drove the car to 230K miles.

DJJ
    Liked
    0 times

My 2000 did this too off and on for about two years. Recently I just started paying more attention to it. About a month ago I took it to the dealer and they said they overfilled the oil on an oil change the week before. They corrected the level but it still smoked. My advisor said it should not do that at all. So, they replaced the 32 valve seals under warranty and no problem since. He said that was the tech's first V8 he's done that to. I saw the invoice and the bill came to $1188. I've done research here and found others to have the same issue. At first I mentioned the valve seal idea to my advisor but they have to eliminate cheaper possibilities first.

-DJJ

Liked
    0 times

In my Camaro when the carb was set too rich. Blue smoke is usually unburned fuel (or oil leaking thru valves however it would not just be at startup). Maybe your ECU is setting your A/F mixture a little rich during start up?

Liked
    2 times

The 1988-1991 GM V8's were notorious for this. Most attributed it to some type of drainback after sitting for a long period. Even still, I knew alot of guys that ran these trucks well past 150k miles with no related problems and no real oil consumption.

BTW...I have never noticed this on any of my Toyota's.
    2011 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.0L
    2013 Avalon Limited

Liked
    0 times

My wifes Camry does this. It is probably the valve guide seals. Toyota fixed replaced the seals under warranty and the problem went away. However it has now returned. There must be something internal that is causing the seals to go out. It does not use oil, and only smokes when it has been sitting for a long time. My wifes Camry is the 4 cylinder - (I won't do that again) but it makes a nice city car.

Liked
    0 times

Default puff of blue smoke

Yeah, my truck does that to.

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    646 times
    Images

something i remember from a while back that may be useful:

the pcv valve vents to the throttle body, just before the plate. one or two people put a small reservoir in the line between the block and the tb on the pcv line, they said it did catch a little fluid. maybe that has something to do with it?

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

LinkBacks (?)