engine knock when cold start

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine knock when cold start

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default engine knock when cold start

hey guys,
    I have a 2005 tundra limited 4 door, 4.7 v-8, 158,000 miles, when i start up the engine has a loud knock 7-8 times, then it stops, only happens 3 or 4 times in a weeks period (only when the engine is cold). i thought about a spark knock, changed gas types still happens, i used fram oil filters, wal-mart high milage oil. cleaned throttle body, replaced timing belt/water pump, service transmission over the summer, was doing the knocking before i did all of this, oil pressure seems to be good.

any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: engine knock when cold start

I have a 2004 tundra that has been having this same noise, and I can't seem to figure it out.

Liked
    19 times
    Images

My step-brother's 2005 doublecab, with 140,000 on the odo, also does this horrible knock at start up during the winter months. If he just jumps in it, starts up and just drives off in cold weather, it sounds like the engine is about to lock up. It is that bad. If he starts it and lets it warm before leaving to go anywhere, it sounded normal. Like all sweet 4.7L. He bought some kind of additive (Russian name) added it to his oil change, and so far it has made the cold weather start up knock stay quiet. He had tried our favorite additive, Lucas oil, to the previous oil change and it did not help at all. We have had great luck with that stuff in our old GM's junk and any engine that had leaky valve seals. He was thinking about trading it in but he is not into the new Tundra's, so he was thinking another brand. After he gets back home from Christmas away, I will post what the additive was. I thought, no-way would I have used it in my Tundra. But when it worked in his truck, well, it made me think that if mine sounded as bad as his, maybe I would. His 4.7L sounds like a sewing machine again.

Liked
    7 times

If what you're hearing is piston slap, it is pretty normal for this range of model years. I haven't had this problem on my '01. Perhaps it just doesn't get cold enough here.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Make sure you use 5-30 winter time (60 deg. F and under) 10-30 summer time (60 deg. F and up).
    Its normal for it to knock first cold start of the day 45 F or colder and let it worm up before you go maybe till the temp gauge start to rise
    above the first line.
    Don't use high mileage oil it designed for vehicles that leak oil so its thicker you drive a tundra 160,000 mile you are still braking in the engine
    and the best oil filter you can use is a Toyota filter go to the dealer and buy a case 10 or 12 then write the mileage on each box that you want to change at 155,000 160,000 165,000,170,000 etc......
    Driving down the street when its cold and your oil is like molasses and your doing 2000 + RPM's is not good on your engine.
    don't be in such a rat race

Liked
    802 times
    Images

As was mentioned, it sounds like piston slap. It's pretty common in a lot of vehicles, particularly ours. I run Mobil 1 0W30 year round. The "knock" is more pronounced in the colder weather (it can get into the single digits here), but it isn't anything horrific. Try going with synthetic if you aren't already. If you're comfortable try the 0W30 but if not go with 5W30 and see if that makes a difference.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.