06 Tundra died at full throttle 70mph? - Solved! - Page 6

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 06 Tundra died at full throttle 70mph? - Solved!

Liked
    1681 times
    Images

Default Re: Help! 06 Tundra died at full throttle 70mph?????

more than you know

2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    8 times

Mine was having this problem for a few weeks before it finally threw a code. And no it didn't suggest the sensors were bad.....unless your trying to rob some poor shmuck of his dollars.

Liked
    1681 times
    Images

robbing shmucks isn't cool. especially if it's before dinner.

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Rookie
    Liked
    8 times

So, after leaving my truck at the dealership for the last week, they Finally were able to figure out that it was the fuel pump. They said they checked the fuel pressure while driving and that was the problem when the truck was shutting off. Thanks to you guys this is what I had been telling them over and over that the problem likely was and how they should be diagnosing it and how the sensor replacement didn't make any logical sense. As you can imagine they loved that.....especially when I was right the whole time and noone would listen. Ha, I hope the rude guy with the HUMONGOUS head felt especially dumb. So, after this they offered me some crappy deal, that they would be nice enough to cover the 8+ hrs of diagnostic time and it would be $900+ for the fuel pump and labor. remember I already paid $850 for bogus sensors. Which we now had proven were unnecessary. So a proposed $1800 for a fuel pump.....wow great deal guys. So, I brought up the $5k I spent with them in the last year, how 6 months ago they diagnosed and replaced my left tierod and then when that didn't fix it, a week later they replaced my steering rack.....which includes the tierod....and tryed to charge me for both, as well as a few other issues that were documented. I explained that I would take my truck elsewhere and never return if this cost me any more than just the pump/install and I'll pay 2hrs diagnostic time. The service manager heard my story, and agreed to replace the pump and let me walk with a zero balance. So end result, a small hassle, new sensors+fuelpump for $850 and I owe you guys all a beer.

Thanks

and thanks MidCity! So, with that they will continue to enjoy my patronage, and the ability to milk me for overpriced parts and labor purchases for years to come. Although hopefully now they'll listen to my crackpot ideas when I come in there

Liked
    1681 times
    Images

glad you got it sorted out and they made it right (after all).

now, you don't have a hair on your ass if you don't get it up to 70mph, set the cruise, and climb that damn hill

Search for your answer.

Liked
    800 times
    Images

Glad it all finally worked out for you. Now, stop going to the dealer! Find a local mechanic you can trust and insist he use OEM parts.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    7 times
    Images

My parents had a 2003 Acura TL-S and they didn't know about the VSC option. It made it a nightmare driving up ice covered hills.
    I also agree, that its fuel issue. Had the same problem with a Nissan Sentra. Fuel Pump was bad but luckily it had a warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
    TTU2001, does your truck have VSC and traction control? These were optional for 2006 models.
    SR5

4.7L V8 engine
    Automatic transmission
    Up to 16 cty/21 hwy mpg
    4-wheel drive
    Navigation System (Optional)
    Stability Control (Optional)
    Traction Control (Optional)

The VSC will cause the motor to power down. "The VSC Off switch actually handles more than just the Tundra’s electronic stability control – it also interacts with Traction Control (TRAC) and the Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD) features. Basically, when you turn on your truck, TRAC and VSC are armed and Auto LSD is not. This is known as “Normal” mode, and if the truck should start to fishtail or the tires start to spin each system will kick in automatically, braking or powering down the engine as required."

Here is a thread that discuss traction control and VSC and 0 point calibration (TSB), which I found interesting. traction control problems with lift

Liked
    399 times
    Images

Good to see your problem was fixed. I have had trouble pumping gas since California mandated the new vapor recovery nozzles back in 09. I'll have to find a diagram for the fuel system and check/replace my filter and vents.

My truck sees high rpms everyday. Never had any problems with the tranny.
    Jason
    It's paid off and and starts when i turn the key

If You seek advice, then LISTEN with your EARS not your MOUTH.....

Liked
    55 times

I am glad you got it fixed and I could jump to the last page of this thread to read that it was in fact your fuel pump from the start without all the other drama...lol

Liked
    1994 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pxsp View Post
    I am glad you got it fixed and I could jump to the last page of this thread to read that it was in fact your fuel pump from the start without all the other drama...lol
    It wasn't that bad, only 22 hostile posts before anybody thought it over and mentioned fuel starvation.
    Good to hear things were made right.
    DevinSixtySeven likes this.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Rookie
    Liked
    8 times

HAHAAH! Mechanic you can trust.....good one. Been through a bundle of shady one's though.

So of course I spent the last few days driving around in 2nd gear, redlining it constantly. Just to make sure the problem was solved. j/k

Side note of interest: My cruise control which was kicking down very violently on any uphill grade, now is SIGNIFICANTLY improved. Still worse than any of my other vehicles but it's usable now and I only need to disengage it on the steepest inclines!!!

Also, some how my fuel pumping problem where I had to constantly forcefully push the nozzle into the truck is again greatly improved. Not perfect, but much better!

Obviously these seem totally unrelated to the fuel pump and sensors, but that's what happened. Yay for me.

And now anytime anyone shows me anything broken.....I just tell 'em it's obviously Operator error, which is hilarious and makes for good times.
    DevinSixtySeven and tundrunk like this.

jmo
    Liked
    5 times

FYI - my 2006 tundra started to clunk a few times and had blips of power loss - kept going, started to up hill and the rig died. Won't restart, didn't try to turnover when turning the key.

Turns out the wire for the fuel pump had rubbed enough under the truck to expose the raw wire, which eventually shorted on the frame and blew the fuse.

Fixed the exposed wire, under the driver side about 2 feet back from where the bundle comes through the firewall, and I am back up and running.

In the past I think I have experienced a periodic clunk from a cylinder not firing due to the electrical issue.

Hope this helps.
    2006 Tundra DC, 20" EVO Velociti Wheels, Limited, TRD
    2001 Tundra AccessCab, Limited, TRD
    1993 Toyota Pick Up, Extended Cab

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456