4.7l Engine Oil Capacity?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.7l Engine Oil Capacity?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default 4.7l Engine Oil Capacity?

Just changed the oil for the first time in my Tundra DC and the manual says 6.5 qt. But that gets the oil level only in the middle of the full and add marks on the dip stick. (I let the truck sit all night) so I put another 1/2 qt. in. Now it looks ok. Is this normal?

Thanks PW

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

I get the same results in my '01 Tundra, so I just dump in 7 quarts.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Liked
    10 times
    Images

Wonder why unless it's filter size. Mine's always topped off at 6.5 using the Pure One filter.
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by lgl002
    Wonder why unless it's filter size. Mine's always topped off at 6.5 using the Pure One filter.
    Mine takes 7 qts with the Pure One filter... Go figure.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I'am useing the filter the dealer gave me.

Liked
    0 times

My first oil/filter change took 7 qts. and I am using the small stock filter.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KLS
    I get the same results in my '01 Tundra, so I just dump in 7 quarts.

Ken
    Ditto. 7 qts. tops off my 01 quite nicely too.
    Waiter, how do you prepare your chickens?
    Nothing special. We just tell them straight out that they're going to die.

Base: 2001 Tundra - Thunder Grey | SR5 | TRD | 4x4 | HD TRD Coil Springs | Tow Pkg | Factory Spray-on Bedliner | RS3000 Security
    Mods: Mickey Thompson Classic II | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | Differential Drop Spacers | 930 Inner CV Boots | ProtechEZLift Limit Straps | Spintech Sportsman XL Muffler | Brembo Front Brake Rotors | Heavy Duty OEM Rear Drums | A.R.E. Z-Series Cap w/ Thule Rack | Stubbs Rock Sliders | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA KO's | VIAIR 400C Air Compressor w/ 2.5 gal tank | Front clear corner lamps | Odyssey PC1700T battery | Optima Red Top 75/35 battery (backup starter) | Hellroaring 95300A Isolator/Combiner | Truspeed Calibrator
    Future: Winch Bumper | UCAs & Coilovers | RCD Lift | 4.30 Gears

Liked
    0 times

The dipstick seems to be a bit short for accurate measurement. I have the identical issue with my '03 V8.

I just fill it up with all 7 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 SuperSyn!

Brad

Tundrabrad
    Menifee CA

2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X2 - Stratosphere Mica

Factory Options/Accessories:
    Limited Slip Differential * RS3200 Security System * Towing Package * 17" Limited 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels * All Weather Floor Mats * First Aid Kit * Cargo Net * Wheel Locks * Aluminum Skid Plate * Auto Dimming Mirror * Fog Lights * Bed Extender

Mods/Additions:
    Sylvania SilverStars * RhinoLiner * OBX Fire Extinguisher * Westin Signature Nerf Bars * Bullring Retractable Tiedowns * Snuglid Tonneau Cover * Coleman 400 watt Power Inverter * Magnafine transmission filter * Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar * SuperPlug

Liked
    0 times

My '03 tops the dipstick with 7qts using the ML-301 (large) filter. 6.5 qts using the ML-102 (small) filter.
    70k now and it's never burned a drop.
    2008 Tacoma 2.7 RC Base
    2003 SR5 TRD V8 <<< Sold 2005
    Better Built toolbox / Limited leather / Power outlet mod / RS3200 Plus / Rebadged w/TRD / Bully Nerf bars / '05 OEM Taillights / Clear corners / Factory Woodgrain kit / Gentex EC Mirror / Gaylord's Toolbox-Lid / MB Overdrives / Muthco Signal Mirrors / Sport Grille / TRD Dual Exhaust / Camry Nav System

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Also keep in mind that its better to keep your level 1/2 quart short than over. They may be telling you this to keep you from mistakenly over filling pan. It won't hurt to keep your oil level half way between the two marks on your dip stick.
    White 04 D-Cab Limited. DVD, moonroof, TRD, leather, heated seats, tow package, bed extender, overhead temp/comp, 20" crome Boss wheels, 275/55 Goodyear Eagles, Navigation.

Liked
    0 times

Talking

It takes every ounce of 7 quarts to reach the full mark on my 2002 dip stick, which is the exact location when I drove my truck home the day I bought it new and checked the oil. I used to buy my oil from the local Toyota dealer along with their filter. The parts dept manager told me it would take 7 full quarts with the Toyota filter. His previous job at the dealership before becoming the parts dept manager was changing oil in their vehicles. Last oil change I switched to Mobil 1 10-30, and guess what, it took exactly 7 quarts with a Toyota Filter to reach the full mark.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

This just happened to me this weekend. I changed the oil on my 04 Tundra (1st time) just as i've done with our Sequoia. However, to my surprise, it took 7 qts to fill the Tundra instead of the 6 1/2 qts to fill the Seq. What the heck... Is the oil pan on the Tundra larger? Or what?
    DV

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Rlockyer
    My '03 tops the dipstick with 7qts using the ML-301 (large) filter. 6.5 qts using the ML-102 (small) filter.70k now and it's never burned a drop.
    Are these the Toyota OEM filter part numbers?? Both work on the Tundra v8? What cars are each of them really for?
    Get down, Do you?

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by fooddude
    Are these the Toyota OEM filter part numbers?? Both work on the Tundra v8? What cars are each of them really for?
    Those are the Mobil-1 filter numbers.
    The M1-102 is the one shown in the reference for the 4.7, and is the small filter. The M1-301 is the large 1-qt filter that crosses from the FL1A.
    M1-103 is the TEENY filter used on the Echo/Highlander/Rav4/Corolla four-bangers.
    2008 Tacoma 2.7 RC Base
    2003 SR5 TRD V8 <<< Sold 2005
    Better Built toolbox / Limited leather / Power outlet mod / RS3200 Plus / Rebadged w/TRD / Bully Nerf bars / '05 OEM Taillights / Clear corners / Factory Woodgrain kit / Gentex EC Mirror / Gaylord's Toolbox-Lid / MB Overdrives / Muthco Signal Mirrors / Sport Grille / TRD Dual Exhaust / Camry Nav System

Liked
    1 times

6.5 qts on my 2000(with Toy filter or Pure One), it took 7.5 qts when I had the wrong dipstick that came with the first Tundra's. Unless they changed the oil pain capacity I don't think you could get 1/2 qt difference with a different oil filter, even the large filters some people use. There used to be some info on the correct length of the dipstick on the site before it crashed a while back.

Mitch

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.