2002 Tundra - check engine light

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2002 Tundra - check engine light

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2002 Tundra - check engine light

I've got a friend with a '02 Tundra v6 automatic, 4x2 that the check engine light came on recently. The code is P0770, which is "Shift Solenoid E Malfunction". Can anybody tell me what that translates to specifically for the Tundra? The truck seems run and shift just fine.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks, Todd.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times

Transmission DTC

Lock–up does not occur when driving in the lock–up range
    (normal driving at 80 km/h [50 mph]), or lock–up remains ON
    in the lock–up OFF range.
    (2–trip detection logic)

Check shift solenoid valve SL operation.
    NG - Replace solenoid valve SL.
    OK - Check valve body
    NG - Repair or replace valve body.
    OK - Replace torque converter clutch
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Glenn, thanks for the quick response. I was hoping it was something I could fix, but this appears to be some internal solenoid in the transmission. Any idea what the quoted service time is for this repair? What the parts? I don't mind going to the dealer, but I like to have a good idea of what to expect.
    thanks, Todd.

Liked
    17 times

No idea, the solenoid in question must be gotten to by dropping the tranny drain pan.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I understand. If I can resolve the issue by replacing the solenoid, do you know if the check engine light will clear itself?

Liked
    17 times

Quote Originally Posted by ToddStyles
    I understand. If I can resolve the issue by replacing the solenoid, do you know if the check engine light will clear itself?
    The Check Engine Light or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) comes on when the ignition switch is turned ON and the engine is not running. When the engine is started, the MIL should go off. If the lamp remains on, the diagnosis system has detected a malfunction or abnormality in the system.

In addition to the MIL lighting up when a malfunction is detected, the applicable Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) prescribed by SAE J2012 are recorded in the ECM memory. If the malfunction does not reoccur in 3 consecutive trips, the MIL goes off automatically but the DTCs remain recorded in the ECM memory.

The trick is the solenoid may not be the culprit. There are prescibed diagnostics to identify the root cause. I gave you the basics.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Glenn, thanks for your expertise. My buddy called this morning and the MIL is no longer on, so it looks like it was a glitch that cleared itself. I did some research last night and it appears that there was a TSB issued for his truck, "EG024-02", that addressed the P0770 code. However, I couldn't see the details associated with the TSB.
    Todd.

Liked
    17 times

Quote Originally Posted by ToddStyles
    Glenn, thanks for your expertise. My buddy called this morning and the MIL is no longer on, so it looks like it was a glitch that cleared itself. I did some research last night and it appears that there was a TSB issued for his truck, "EG024-02", that addressed the P0770 code. However, I couldn't see the details associated with the TSB.
    Todd.
    Seeing details of tsb's comes with a club membership subscription.

However, this TSB reads "Some owners of 2002 model year Tundra trucks equipped with V6 engines and automatic transmissions may experience a M.I.L. “ON” condition with DTC P0770 (Shift Solenoid “E” Malfunction) stored when operated under the following specific operating conditions:
     Operation in ambient temperatures above 90 degrees F.
     When towing a trailer or carrying a heavy load.
     When climbing a long uphill grade.
    The ECM logic (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) has been revised and the transmission valve body has been improved to prevent this condition from occurring.

2002 model year Tundra trucks equipped with V6 engines and automatic
    transmissions produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN 5TB#N##1#2#######

Applicable Warranty*:
     R & R ECM (PCM) repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date for ECM (PCM).
     R & R of the Valve Body is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

LinkBacks (?)