Resetting Check Engine Light

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By garys2
  • 1 Post By Joe
  • 1 Post By THarms
  • 1 Post By garys2
  • 1 Post By woody1

Thread: Resetting Check Engine Light

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Default Resetting Check Engine Light

After I got gas the other day my Check Engine light came on. It didn't take me long to figure out that the gas station guy had forgot to put the gas cap back on. I ended up buying a new one and put it on. The Check Engine light is still on. Will this reset itself after x amount of engine start cycles, do I need to take it to the dealer to have them reset it with a scan tool, or is there another way to do this.

The truck is a 2001 Tundra V8 2WD. If that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Gary
    sg1efc likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Joe
    Liked
    2 times

It should reset itself after a couple of starts. Mine reset itself after 45 minutes of driving. The faster method is to disconnect the negative cable from your battery - I don't know if there's a time element involved but I wouldn't think you would have to wait more than 5 minutes before you reconnected the cable.
    sg1efc likes this.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Thanks. It hasn't reset yet, but I'll wait a few days. I don't think it's anything but the lack of a gas cap. At least I hope not.

Gary

Liked
    2 times

yep.. just disconnect one of your battery terminals for 15-min... unfortunately you will lose your radio presets as well though.

Alternative is to borrow/buy an ODB reader (they loan them out at our local Autozone). Most of these readers have a reset button that allows you to reset the computer electronically.
    sg1efc likes this.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

The light reset this afternoon. I think part of my problem was that I use the remote start most of the time. That might not count as a key turn. So, I just started to use the key and after a few starts the light went out.

All is well.

Gary
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    1 times

Duuuuuh, I just had the same problem.
    Forgot to put on gas cap and the CEL came on. Bought new cap; called service advisor who told me it was proably the missing cap causing the CEL and would cost $75 to scan and reset. After two days it reset itself. Thanks guys.
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Eeek!

Quote Originally Posted by woody1
    ..called service advisor who told me it was proably the missing cap causing the CEL and would cost $75 to scan and reset...

Which dealer was that? (you might just want to hint rather than name 'em). I just might want to avoid that one...

Thanks!

Steve
    "I don't understand everything that I know about it"

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Resetting Check Engine Light

75 bucks, wow! I borrowed my buddies $40 dollar tester for free.

LinkBacks (?)