V8 Oil Capacity

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V8 Oil Capacity

Liked
    5 times

Question V8 Oil Capacity

According to the owners manual the oil capacity in my '04 DC is 6.5qts. with filter. Most vehicles have a 5qt. capacity so I put a tag on the oil cap so that the local Quick Lube doesn't short me a quart and a half when I get my oil changed.
    I had my truck at McDaniel Toyota today for a check engine light (a faulty 02 sensor) and they saw the tag and informed me that the V8 takes 7 qts. I questioned the service manager and he went back and asked the technician who said it is 7 qts.
    I have always checked my oil level the day after it is changed and it is always at the top fill line. So who's right, the owners manual or the Toyota service technician at McDaniel Toyota?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by dano100
    According to the owners manual the oil capacity in my '04 DC is 6.5qts. with filter. Most vehicles have a 5qt. capacity so I put a tag on the oil cap so that the local Quick Lube doesn't short me a quart and a half when I get my oil changed.
    I had my truck at McDaniel Toyota today for a check engine light (a faulty 02 sensor) and they saw the tag and informed me that the V8 takes 7 qts. I questioned the service manager and he went back and asked the technician who said it is 7 qts.
    I have always checked my oil level the day after it is changed and it is always at the top fill line. So who's right, the owners manual or the Toyota service technician at McDaniel Toyota?
    Drain & Refill with Oil Filter Change - 6.2 liters (6.5 Us qts, 5.5 Imp. qts)
    Drain & Refill without Oil Filter Change - 5.7 liters (6.0 Us qts, 5.0 Imp. qts)
    Dry fill - 7.1 liters (7.5 Us qts, 6.2 Imp. qts)

Reference - page 704, 2004 TOYOTA TUNDRA Repair Manual (RM1091U)
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by nhparrot
    Drain & Refill with Oil Filter Change - 6.2 liters (6.5 Us qts, 5.5 Imp. qts)
    Drain & Refill without Oil Filter Change - 5.7 liters (6.0 Us qts, 5.0 Imp. qts)
    Dry fill - 7.1 liters (7.5 Us qts, 6.2 Imp. qts)

Reference - page 704, 2004 TOYOTA TUNDRA Repair Manual (RM1091U)

Every time I have changed my oil and filter it took 7 qts to reach the full line on the stick thats what I have gone by

Liked
    1 times

It always takes 6.5 quarts when I change my oil and filer. I just changed it last weekend and again, 6.5 quarts to fill it.

Liked
    0 times

6.5 quarts filled up my Sequoia too.

What I find interesting is my 2.5L I6 BMW enginge takes 6 quarts of oil and my 4.7L V8 Toyota engine takes 6.5.

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

I use a Toyota filter (not an oversized filter), and I just dump in 7 quarts. If the sump is a fraction of an inch overfilled it is not a big deal.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate
    6.5 quarts filled up my Sequoia too.

What I find interesting is my 2.5L I6 BMW enginge takes 6 quarts of oil and my 4.7L V8 Toyota engine takes 6.5.
    That's nothing. My 87 land cruiser with a 4.2 tractor engine takes 8.1 quarts
    2006 Tundra DC, 80K, K&N Drop-in, Spintech Truck/RV Muffler, BedRug, Bilstein 5100s, VSE Sub
    Previously 2000 Tundra, 94K, K&N Drop-in, Spintech Truck/RV Muffler, Hellwig, Bilstein 5100s, 2005 Sequoia Center Console Installed and looking awesome! - TOTALLED
    1999 UZJ100 Land Cruiser, 225K, new carpet, no major Mods planned; it's the wifeys
    1987 FJ60 Land Cruiser, 209K, K&N Drop-in, Jacobs Ignition, Jacobs Wires, Dynomax Muffler and Hi-Flow Cat, Electric Fuel Pump Conversion, Rebuilt Carb, Rebuilt Combination Manifold, SS EGR Tube, Someday...A Lift

Proud Member of the CBTMA

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Matador98
    That's nothing. My 87 land cruiser with a 4.2 tractor engine takes 8.1 quarts
    That is what I found interesting...I would have thought bigger engines would take more oil. In my non-mechanic brain I would reason a 4.7L, or lets round to 5.0 for this example, would take twice as much oil as a 2.5L since it has twice the displacement, two extra cyclinders, and much bigger internals to lubricate.

So does my 2.5L have a huge capacity or is the 4.7 run lean

8.1 quarts...Good grief that is a lot of dinosaurs...

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by dano100
    I've got an oversized filter on mine (Amsoil SDF15)and I kept the shorter dipstick over the longer one so I get 5mm more oil in there (Toyota says that doesn't harm the engine) and I put in 8 quarts of synthetic every fill to top it off to the line. Actually I put in a little more because I'll pour in some fresh oil while the drain plug is out to flush out the last of the dirty oil from the engine.

I use maybe 3mm of oil on the dipstick between changes at 7,000 to 12,000 mile change intervals. (I'm running synthetic).

Alan

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate
    That is what I found interesting...I would have thought bigger engines would take more oil. In my non-mechanic brain I would reason a 4.7L, or lets round to 5.0 for this example, would take twice as much oil as a 2.5L since it has twice the displacement, two extra cyclinders, and much bigger internals to lubricate.

So does my 2.5L have a huge capacity or is the 4.7 run lean

8.1 quarts...Good grief that is a lot of dinosaurs...
    I had an '84 Mitsubishi Montero 2.5L 4 banger that took 6 quarts. I thought that was an awful lot for a 4 cylinder. But, I don't think it's so much the engine size as the design and volume of the pan.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Mine takes 7qts with a drain\refill and Toyota filter change. Make sure your getting the right filter. 90915-YZZD3.
    Mods: Donahoe TCF coilovers, TC upper arms, rear Bilstein 5100s, Downey headers, 3" exhaust with Spintech Prostreet, BFG MT 285-70-17s on Helo Maxx 6 Chrome, Electric Brake controller. Tsunami RCA converter, PIE AUX adapter, LA Sound amp, MTX 10" band pass sub.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Oil Level

So who can tell when its full??? I've got a 2004 Tundra and the dipstick is VERY difficult to read. The residual oil on the walls of the guide tube makes it look like it's got more oil than it contains...

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis
    So who can tell when its full??? I've got a 2004 Tundra and the dipstick is VERY difficult to read. The residual oil on the walls of the guide tube makes it look like it's got more oil than it contains...
    don't reinsert the dipstick right away after the initial wipe. 45 seconds or so normally lets enough drip down making it easy to read.

Liked
    1 times

I changed my oil and filter today and refilled 6.5 qts which brings the oil level halfway between the min & max on the dipstick. 7 qts would bring it up to the max. 6.5 or 7 qts., either will be fine, the half qt won't make any difference.
    TRUCK: 2001 2WD V8 AC MODS: JBA headers! Magnaflow muffler, TRD 4x4 coils & shocks, Wheeler's AAL's, Truxedo bed cover, Bridgestone Dueler AT LT265/75/16, Surepull hitch, Drawtite convertor box, MAPP nerf bars, Toyota bed mat

Liked
    1 times

Default V8 Oil Cap Drain & Fill

I use AMSOIL SDF 57 filters (exact replacement) and a drain and fill takes about 6.5 to 6.75 Qts. Over 12,000 miles it may "use" about 2-4 oz. of oil.

- Max

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast