Amsoil Oil Filters SDF15 vs 57

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Amsoil Oil Filters SDF15 vs 57

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Amsoil Oil Filters SDF 15 vs. SDF 57

Can someone clarify which Amoil oil filter is best for the 2UZ. I could swear the amsoil guide recommends the SDF-57, which I am currently running. I see most of you run the SDF-15. Amsoil tech Support says it has a larger filtration capacity but cannot guarentee proper fit/gasket seal. Does it fit perfectly? Is the SDF-15 a better filter for our trucks?? How much additional oil are you guys adding at a normal change to accomodate for the increased filter capacity. Again, Amsoil tech suggested a need for up to 16oz. of additional oil. Comments please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by souljour
    Can someone clarify which Amoil oil filter is best for the 2UZ. I could swear the amoil guide recmomends the SDF-57, which I am currently running. I see most of you run the SDF-15. Why, is it a better filter?? Comments please!
    The SDF-57 filter is the right filter but there are a number of slightly larger filters that fit. The advantage to the larger filter is better capacity.

Personally, I run the SDF-15 and get some very good numbers. I could probably run the much smaller SDF-57 and get similar numbers since either filter works very well.

I like the SDF-15 because it lets me add a little more oil to the system, has more capacity (which might not even be used really), and doesn't cost any more as far as I can remember. It's easily twice the size of the SDF-15.

Alan

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default Amsoil is just being super carefull

I have used the sdf15 at least three times and have a buddy who also uses it. No problems what so ever. No leaks, no drips, no runs. I think I end up with a full seven gts oil capacity, but can't remember for sure.

I think Amsoil is just being carefull, as this filter might not meet some obscure Toyota standard. I have the used oil analysis to show it is certainly working well in my truck.

I'd use it or the Mobil 1 filter that is also the same size. But I should say that I doubt it will really make any significant difference in logevity of the engine. It just cost about the same as the smaller one, and it can't hurt.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead
    I have used the sdf15 at least three times and have a buddy who also uses it. No problems what so ever. No leaks, no drips, no runs. I think I end up with a full seven gts oil capacity, but can't remember for sure.

I think Amsoil is just being carefull, as this filter might not meet some obscure Toyota standard. I have the used oil analysis to show it is certainly working well in my truck.

I'd use it or the Mobil 1 filter that is also the same size. But I should say that I doubt it will really make any significant difference in logevity of the engine. It just cost about the same as the smaller one, and it can't hurt.
    That's pretty much why I use the sdf15, overkill very rarely ever hurts. It can, but not in this circumstance. If it costs the same, but you get the bonus version, I'd just as soon use the bonus version.

Alan

Liked
    8 times

I'm just one more person who gives the SDF-15 a thumbs up. It fits perfectly without drips or leaks whatsoever. I've been using this filter or two years now and it ups my oil to 7.5 quarts at full. I had to buy a larger filter mag to fit the larger filter but that wasn't a problem.

Liked
    2 times

yep.. the SDF-15 is the correct filter to use and like the others, have been getting excellent wear numbers (also use amsoil oil).

I did have a gasket start leaking on me one time.. but after removing the filter I noticed it was my own mistake as the gasket had slid out of the groove on the filter when I was screwing it on... actually surprised it didn't leak more than it did.
    2009 Camry Hybrid (wife's car)
    2007 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD 4X4 (What a truck!!!)
    2001 Sequoia Limited (for sale)
    1999 Solara SLE (kid's car)
    1995 T100 DX 4x4 (my tonka toy, but its gotta go as my wife says I don't need 2 trucks )
    2000 Mustang (black sheep of the family)

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by THarms
    yep.. the SDF-15 is the correct filter to use and like the others, have been getting excellent wear numbers (also use amsoil oil).

I did have a gasket start leaking on me one time.. but after removing the filter I noticed it was my own mistake as the gasket had slid out of the groove on the filter when I was screwing it on... actually surprised it didn't leak more than it did.
    You have to be sure that you put spread a drip or two of oil across the entire gasket to make sure that it doesn't bind as you put it on. It's odd that it came out of the groove if you lubed it right prior to putting in on.

Alan