Do any Tundra's have engine block heater!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any Tundra's have engine block heater!

Life with the awesome Tundra 05' Tundrawolf's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Question Do any Tundra's have engine block heater!

I am here in Minnesota where at times temps dip well into the sub-zero range, just curious if its factory install or have to go aftermarket.

kunal
    Toyota:
    2001 Lexus IS300
    2005 Tundra DC SR5 4X4 V8
    1996 FJ80 Cruiser with Lockers

Honda:
    2008 Accord EX-L
    2004 ATV Rubicon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I think that they do make a after market plug in heater. I see many vehicles come down from alaska everyday at work. I have seen many toyota tundras with the block heater plug ins on them.

Liked
    0 times

Talking

Moved this thread over to the "Engine & Drivetrain forum" for more exposure to the subject.

I also did a little searching and this is what I got back from "block heater". A few informative threads.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...earchid=363631
    JOHN

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by 05' Tundrawolf
    I am here in Minnesota where at times temps dip well into the sub-zero range, just curious if its factory install or have to go aftermarket.

kunal
    It is not a factory install, but probably many dealers offer it.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 05' Tundrawolf

kunal

I'm not sure about other Minnesota owners but I've never had a problem starting my Tundra down to minus 35. Mine is garaged most of time but has spent a number of Fargo and Detroit Lakes sub-zero nights outside. Other than the usual stiffness (me too) on a sub-zero morning it fires right up. I'd imagine your Tundra like mine came with the cold weather package. I run 5w/20 oil in the winter and 10/30 during the summer month's.

Larry
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Liked
    0 times

Smile

Thanks for all the replies it seems they don't have any block heaters made for our trucks yet! (Aftermarket only) Although Toyota must feel the trucks don't need the block heaters. Last week it got down to -33 and my truck sits outside for the time being (garage coming this spring). I feel thats definately hard on any car when it gets that cold to fire it up!
    Toyota:
    2001 Lexus IS300

Honda:
    2008 Accord EX-L
    2004 ATV Rubicon

Liked
    0 times

it seems they don't have any block heaters made for our trucks yet! (Aftermarket only)
    All new vehicles sold in my area have block heaters installed, it's mandatory, or so I was told when I bought my '03 Tundra. I am willing to bet that even the '05s being sold up here have block heaters when they roll off the lot.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Talking

Yep. My Tundra also has the block heater -- mandatory as well as per the post above me. I haven't had to use it yet as my truck starts up fine all the time. It has 30000+ km on it now.

Sanosuke!

Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Calling dealer tommo

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod8
    All new vehicles sold in my area have block heaters installed, it's mandatory, or so I was told when I bought my '03 Tundra. I am willing to bet that even the '05s being sold up here have block heaters when they roll off the lot.
    I wonder if they have those block heaters available here in the U.S? I will find out tommo.
    Toyota:
    2001 Lexus IS300

Honda:
    2008 Accord EX-L
    2004 ATV Rubicon

Liked
    0 times

Let us know what you find out, '01 Sequoia and I want to know also!

Liked
    0 times

Yes there is plug heater for the tundra in the US. I got my Truck from the Seattle area and the first thing I did when I got it to Alaska was to put in a Soft plug heater. I bought two one for each side of the block. I installed the one on the right side first. Not too bad of an install if you have the right tools. Then I looked at the left side of the block and decided that one is enough. It can be done but not without a lot of effort. I got my heater from NAPA.
    Up hear we usually put a pad heater on the oil pan also. If it gets very cold where you are I highly recommend it. It really saves your engine when the oil is warm on startup. The engine cranks better too. If you want to go all out like we do up hear you can also put a heater pad on the transmission and one under the Battery. I know this might sound extreme but when the temprature dips down my truck thinks it +70 degrees.

Liked
    0 times

Default Block heater

I installed a block heated on my truck about 2 years ago. It installs in the freeze plug location. I purchased it from a Toyota Dealer in Canada and was really reasonable priced. It had a Toyota part # and was not an aftermarket part like NAPA . I cannot remember the name of the dealership, but I purchased it online, so it shouldnt be too hard to find.

Now here in Texas we really dont get too harsh winters but I use to plug it in when the temp, was 20 or less. And although the truck did warm up quicker than without it, it was not as efficent as the block heater I had on my old (trade in ) Ford. The Ford block heated would blow warm air in 1/4 mile where the Toyota heater takes around 2.5 miles. It was ez to compair on how far I would drive before the temp gauge needle would move, before and after I installed the heated.......So there is no doubt it heated faster with the heater.

Cheers, Tundraholic

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I just installed the block heater made by Pyroil for Toyota Associated Products. I got it from www.kendallauto.com. They didn't have it listed on their website but Jim Cantrell took my order via email (toyotaparts@kendallauto.com). The product number is C0140-03400 and it cost about $30. (It's MUCH nicer than the Katz)

Liked
    0 times

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jettix2
    Let us know what you find out, '01 Sequoia and I want to know also!
    They do offer an OEM block heater which runs around $130 with about an hour to install! If you have the all weather package with your truck (which I do ) don't bother with the block heater is what the manager said!
    Toyota:
    2001 Lexus IS300

Honda:
    2008 Accord EX-L
    2004 ATV Rubicon

Liked
    0 times

rglr:

How long / hard was it to install?

Ben