NGK vs Denso Iridium or Platinum plugs

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NGK vs Denso Iridium or Platinum plugs

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default NGK vs Denso Iridium or Platinum plugs

Has anyone tried the NGK Iridium plugs in their V8 tundra and if so are you pleased with the performance and gas mileage? I see that the Denso Iridiums dominate the discussions but the NGK iridium is almost half the cost of the Denso.

For those of you who use platinum, are they just as good as the Iridium with the performance and gas mileage

Thanks
    JCS

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

I put NGK Iridium IX in my 01 Sequoia and 95 Avalon about 2-3 months ago. Feels that the engine runs a little smoother, sounds smoother, after installation on Sequoia. I bought it because I do not like changing plugs often. Iridium should last longer than regular copper. I dont think there is a change in gas mileage in Avalon or Sequoia.

Previous to Iridium, the Avalon has platinum for 60K. The Sequoia has copper plugs, but not sure for how long since I just bought the truck last year.
    Thanks
    Chris

01 Sequoia and 95 Avalon.

Liked
    32 times
    Images

I use the NGK v-powers in everything I own and have never had a problem.

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

We need two guys who both need plugs in their trucks. One guy installs $1.59 Denso copper plugs and make some speed runs. Take those out and put in the iridium plugs and make some speed runs. I don't think you'll see much difference, but who knows? If there isn't any difference, the guy whose idea it was to buy the expensive plugs gets stuck with the cost of them.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Your talking about the same plug manufacturer. Toyota has been running those plugs for years. The only difference you will notice is with plug life! The iridium will last 50k plus, and the standard will need to be replace at 15k. You might notice a difference if you ran a hotter version with a supercharger or turbo.

Liked
    0 times

I am running the NGK iriduims on my 2k V8 SR5 and no performance gain. My reasoning for putting them on was longevity of replacement interval. My wifes LX 470 factory recommendation are iriduim plugs. Same engine with a higher compression. Factory recommended plug replacement is 90k miles for here LX 470 ride.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up

Thanks to all of you for the info. I will probably go with the NGK Iridiums vs the Denso becasue of the $ difference. I can get the NGK Iridiums here in Atlanta (NOPI AUTO PARTS) FOR AROUND $6.25 EACH.

jCS

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: NGK vs Denso Iridium or Platinum plugs

I have set of the Iridiums in my 01' Tundra. Been in there for about 100,000 miles. Just looked at them last week figuring it was about time to change them but they still looked like new. Well worth the few extra bucks. The first time I had the plugs changed I made the dealer do it (BIG MISTAKE!) I asked them about the Platinum / Iridium plugs but they refused citing warranty B.S. $150 bucks. OW! Fool me once. The next time I put the Iridium plugs in myself. (only took about 10 min. easiest plug change I hav ever done) The next time the dealer looked at the mileage and told me it was time to change plugs I told them (never mind I did it myself) but I didn't tell them I had put the Iridiums in it. A cleaner plug burns more efficiently and gets better mileage and performance. I HIGHLY reccomend them!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 07-28-2010, 06:04 AM
  2. 06-02-2010, 07:28 AM