Secondary Air Injection System Control Valve Stuck Closed - Bank 1

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Secondary Air Injection System Control Valve Stuck Closed - Bank 1

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Secondary Air Injection System Control Valve Stuck Closed - Bank 1

I have a 2005 Tundra Limited DC and I'm getting this DTC error.

Scan tool returns these codes for P2441 & P2441 p&d
    Secondary Air Injection System Control Valve Stuck Closed - Bank 1.

Anyone know what could cause this or should I just take it to the dealer?

What are some things that I can check for?

I did recently put on K&N air take, headers, and a new catback exhaust. I'm not sure if I have a vaccum leak somewhere or it's related to the new air intake and headers.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    18 times

Default Re: Secondary Air Injection System Control Valve Stuck Closed - Bank 1

see attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll give it a try. Looks like I might have missed something on the K&N intake swap.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I've got an update... I took the truck into the dealer and had them look at it after determining I would have been required to take the intake off for further diagnostics. The dealers said the the secondary air valve needed to be replaced. It took about a 1 week for them to get the part. Thank goodness it's still under warranty. BTW the truck has less than 6k on it.

Liked
    0 times

Red face Re: Secondary Air Injection System Control Valve Stuck Closed - Bank 1

This is incredible but I have almost the same situation. JBA headers recently install, K&N intake installed about 4 weeks ago. P2441 code showed up today. Went to Autozone (closer than dealer) to have code read and it says this code. Before I could say anything, he erases the code! Called dealer and he said that they could not do anything until the code comes back. Anyone believe this will be an issue with the dealer with headers and K&N installed should it come back? On a 2006 DC.

Thanks
    2006 Tundra DoubleCab 4X4, Donahoe 2.5" Coilovers, Donahoe AAL, Procomp rear shocks, JBA Headers, Magnaflow 14586, WAAG Brush Guard, BakFlip, LineX Bedliner, Clear Bra, Window Tint, E7007 Navigation, VSE subwoofer!!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I still have the problem... Dealer ordered new parts and swapped out the set up with one from the 06 model. That kept the light off for 2 whole days. I haven't been back yet and maybe I'll bring back to the dealer in this weekend to have another look. I recall it also took a few weeks for this code to appear after installing the headers. The light went off for a two or 3 days and now it's back on with same code. I have notice it will go OFF after making several trips in one day and with a little pedal mashing .

A couple of clues? After reseting the code.
    On cold mornings when it's been sitting overnight< 45-50F, the MIL light comes ON like a charm.

On warm days or lots of traveling, it seems to stay off.

I think the sensor is not picking up the exhaust pulses because of the new headers??? or possibley too much heat getting back to the SAI system and damaging it?

I'm not sure if this will help but I wanted try out fabing up a heat shield around the headers to keep the exhaust temps up. I think this might help increase the exhuast pulse enough for the sensor to pick it up.
    I don't want to wrap them since I've heard these headers will crack under the increased temp.

"Justme" do you have coated headers or just the uncoated 304? I have just the untreated SS-304 on my truck now. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Anyone have suggestions?

I have checked and re-torqued the header bolts at least twice. I have no leaks.

I guess worst case scenario is to but back on the stock headers and see if the problem still exists??? The dealer probably will tell me to put these back on before anymore warranty work is done when I bring it back. :cry:

Also... Dealer did not have a problem with these aftermarket being installed. They did indicate that if the O2 sensor was bad, that would be out of my pocket. Note that they have to remove the intake manifold to check the SAI system so plan for them to keep the truck for a day or two. The parts are special order.

Liked
    0 times

I have the titanium coated headers. Was worried about the heat, especailly here in the Phoenix area. There has to be a common thread here. My setup is very similiar to yours. I have the Magnaflow in place of the stock muffler but all the stock pipes, cats, etc elsewhere. Anyone have any ideas?
    2006 Tundra DoubleCab 4X4, Donahoe 2.5" Coilovers, Donahoe AAL, Procomp rear shocks, JBA Headers, Magnaflow 14586, WAAG Brush Guard, BakFlip, LineX Bedliner, Clear Bra, Window Tint, E7007 Navigation, VSE subwoofer!!

Liked
    34 times

First thing I would do is return the intake setup to stock. Aftermarket filters cause more problems for customers than just about anything else.IMO.
    Did the headers block off any ports in the cylinder head?
    The gaskets have an extra hole in them for the air injection.
    Are they the correct year headers?
    Can either or both of you take a picture of the intake manifold, some side shots of the vac lines, header pics, old exh manifold pics. Maybe someone here can see something you missed.
    I have not run across this yet, so Diag is gonna be rough over the NET. You might be better off at a dealer. I cant check things or use scan tool data from here:cry:

P2441 refers to BANK 1 = Drivers side

The secondary air injection system pumps air to the exhaust port to accelerate the activation of the catalyst.
    The secondary air injection system consists of the ECM, air pump, Air Switching Valve (ASV) (EASV), Air
    Switching Valve No.2 (ASV No.2) (ASV1, 2), pressure sensor and air injection driver (AID). The Air Switching
    Valve (ASV)(EASV) is an electromagnetic type and Air Switching Valve No.2 (ASV No.2)(ASV1,2) is a vacuum
    type.
    The secondary air injection system pumps pressurized air to the exhaust port by the air pump through the
    ASV and ASV No.2. The ASV assists the ASV No.2. The ASV No.2 also controls air supply.
    The ECM sends signals to the AID, and then the AID operates the air pump and ASV. The pressure sensor
    detects pressure and exhaust pulsation in the system when the system operates and when it does not operate,
    and sends the data to the ECM.

I'll do some research today and get back to you guys.

Liked
    0 times

Victor,

Well, started up the truck this morning and the code is back.:cry: Just before installing the headers, I placed the manifold gasket on the headers to check for fit. All the holes lined up perfectly as far as I could tell. I was more concerned about the stud holes based on the commits here about them not always being correct but no problem there either. I'm pretty sure it has to the correct headers as JBA only makes one set that has the air tubes for the Tundra.

As far as the intake, I will go back to the factory set up if need be. But I did have the K&N on for a month with no problems. Reading the info from the DTC for this code, it directs you to the air injector system. Can the intake have any effect on this? Just curious.

Both times I received the code, the engine was cold and the outside temperture was cool. Limited05 stated basically the same thing. Could the temperture or possible condensation be a factor?

Give me a couple of days and I will see if I can get some pics for you. I may just take it in to the dealer if I can get the time off from work. Thanks Victor for any info you can provide!

Quote Originally Posted by mustang67408
    First thing I would do is return the intake setup to stock. Aftermarket filters cause more problems for customers than just about anything else.IMO.
    Did the headers block off any ports in the cylinder head?
    The gaskets have an extra hole in them for the air injection.
    Are they the correct year headers?
    Can either or both of you take a picture of the intake manifold, some side shots of the vac lines, header pics, old exh manifold pics. Maybe someone here can see something you missed.
    I have not run across this yet, so Diag is gonna be rough over the NET. You might be better off at a dealer. I cant check things or use scan tool data from here:cry:

P2441 refers to BANK 1 = Drivers side

The secondary air injection system pumps air to the exhaust port to accelerate the activation of the catalyst.

The secondary air injection system consists of the ECM, air pump, Air Switching Valve (ASV) (EASV), Air
    Switching Valve No.2 (ASV No.2) (ASV1, 2), pressure sensor and air injection driver (AID). The Air Switching
    Valve (ASV)(EASV) is an electromagnetic type and Air Switching Valve No.2 (ASV No.2)(ASV1,2) is a vacuum
    type.
    The secondary air injection system pumps pressurized air to the exhaust port by the air pump through the
    ASV and ASV No.2. The ASV assists the ASV No.2. The ASV No.2 also controls air supply.
    The ECM sends signals to the AID, and then the AID operates the air pump and ASV. The pressure sensor
    detects pressure and exhaust pulsation in the system when the system operates and when it does not operate,
    and sends the data to the ECM.

I'll do some research today and get back to you guys.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I took some photos for my setup....
    I'll have larger photos in my gallery but it's pending approval. For now I have attached them but you might have to be a subcriber to see it. Let me know if you can't see them.

JBA Headers

I'll post a link to the gallery for the installed photos once the it has been approved by an admin.

Below is the attached thumbnails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01877001.jpg 
Views:	4484 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	12601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01881001.jpg 
Views:	3580 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	12602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01886001.jpg 
Views:	5061 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	12603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01887001.jpg 
Views:	3184 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	12604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01888001.jpg 
Views:	3296 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	12605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01890001.jpg 
Views:	4265 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	12606  

Liked
    34 times

Excellent pics thanks
    Make sure you check all vac lines. I know you already did.
    I will attach a few PDF's if either or both of you would like to investigate more.
    Make sure to check the SWITCHING VALVE on the drivers side on the back of the intake manifold. Vac line attached properly? CONTROL DRIVER plugged in?
    There is a VACUUM line that goes to the PRESSURE SENSOR under the intake manifold.
    If everything is intact, thenI'd advise the DEALER. I know everyone hates them , but without a scan tool. Your guess is as good as mine.

I dont see why the Intake would affect anything either.

If either of you are up for a road trip to Las Vegas, I'd be happy to look at it, ut I know for a fact we dont stock parts for that yet. So a dealer close to you would probably be best.
    Please keep us informed of what soemone finds.
    I'd like to know just for my own personnal knowledge.
    Thanks
    Last edited by mustang67408; 03-24-2008 at 10:08 AM.

Liked
    0 times

I reviewed the info from Victor and then checked all my vacuum lines and they are installed correctly as far as I could tell. Took my truck into the dealer this morning. After 2.5 hours, the advisor comes out to say they had never seen this code before!? Didn't give me a warm fuzzy, made me feel like they were stumped. Another hour later and they said they are going to give me a rental because they need to remove the intake manifold system to run tests on the air switching value. Waiting to hear the results...

I do need to modify something I said earlier. I do not have an K&N, I have an Airaid. With the Airaid, you have two options, first just installing the cone filter along with the cold air dam and MAF, the second option is to install the cone filter and the air intake. I elected to just install the cone filter as the factory intake did not look that much different and I didn't have to worry about vacuum lines.

I called JBA and asked if they have any knowledge of this issue. He said that he was aware of two others having this issue. He said it was related to a defective air switching value?!? This begs the question if it is possible that 05Limited could have gotten a bad part when he got his replaced?? JBA did say they have sold 100's of sets of this header and only a couple have reported this issue. I guess 05Limited and I are not so lucky....

I will post back when I hear from the dealer. If they are not able to get a handle of this, I am willing to take you up on your offer and make a road trip up to Vegas/Henderson area. How 'bout you 05Limited?

Liked
    34 times

I am worried that both of you have opened up your exhaust and made it free flowing and the sensor that senses the exh backpressure for the 2ndary air isnt sensing enough back pressure.
    You both have headers and MODIFIED exh after the cat. This worries me too.

But... on the other hand that code doesnt mention anything about the exh. only valves, pipes,hoses, and electrical components. Except here where i highlighted the condition of the moniter not running

P2441: Electromagnetic air switching valve is stuck closed or air switching valve No. 2 (Bank 1 and
    Bank 2) are stuck closed
    It
    Specification
    Item
    Minimum Maximum
    The monitor will run whenever this DTC is
    not present
    See page
    DI-437

Atmospheric pressure 570 mmHg (76 kPa) -
    Battery voltage 11.5 V -
    Time after secondary air injection in operation
    6 sec. -
    AIR pump ON
    Air switching valve ON
    Air switching valve No. 2 (Bank 1) ON
    Air switching valve No. 2 (Bank 2) ON
    Engine RPM - 3,750 rpm
    Delay time after engine started 6 sec. -
    Air injection pressure sensor fail Not detected
    TYPICAL MALFUNCTION THRESHOLDS
    P2441: Electromagnetic air switching valve is stuck closed or air switching valve No. 2 (Bank 1 and
    Bank 2) are stuck closed
    Cumulative pressure pulsation
    Less than 15 kPa (113 mmHg)
    (when AI ON (Air pump ON, all of air switching valves are ON)
    This maybe due to a free flowing exh.
    I will try to call my factory rep and see what he says
    Maybe you guys could try to re-install the factory cat back or manifolds and see what happens.AND /OR the stock intakes.
    The sysem only works COLD.
    I dont know what else to say

Here is more info on how that system works (see attachments)
    The picture above show the MAF very close to the TB, maybe its to close and the ECU cant adjust fast enough.
    Celicas had this problem on some aftermarket intakes. The MAF is in a certain spot on the stock intake for a reason.

The ECM estimates the amount of air injected to the TWC (Three-Way catalytic Converter) based on
    signals from the mass air flow meter in order to regulate the air injection time.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Post Re: Secondary Air Injection System Control Valve Stuck Closed - Bank 1

I spoke with a friendly fella at JBA and indicated that Toyota *may* be issuing a possible recall on the "diverter valve". I was the first one that they heard of having an issue on the 05 model and first one who had completed warranty work on it already. The others (very few) still had pending work to be done. He indicated that a handfull of other folks was on the 06 model. My truck may have been a late 05 model? I purchased it June 26 last year and only had 2 miles on it.

I reset the DTC codes earlier this week and am waiting for it to trip again before taking it back to the dealer.

I'm not sure if they had replaced the diverter valve. This may be why I still have the problem. The discription on my work order is pretty vague. I attached a pic below. I had the work done 3/17/06. They had swapped the newly ordered part with on from a 06 Truck on the lot when the code showed up again. When I take it back this would be the 3rd set to go on.

I think we are getting closer to a resolution. If not maybe a good road trip to Vegas is in order.

From JBA R&D facility memo....
    "On the 2011S we sent on a truck to be tested at the test facility, they had a problem. The problem the test lab reported was pending in the vehicle computer, so a light had not been thrown yet, but would have given time. The truck went to a dealer and he found that the diverter valve for the air injection system was bad. Again this had nothing to do with our header. The diverter valve was a Toyota problem."

mustang67408, My thoughts exactly on not enough back pressure for the sensor to pick up the exhaust pulse. Maybe we have a case of some awesome free flowing exhaust that produces the +HP and +TQ curves . I'm not sure how to measure 15 kPa (113 mmHg) in the header while it's running or know how the sensor detects the exhaust pulsation. Maybe there's a way to amplify the signal by increasing a vaccum tube size somewhere?

EDIT: Another clue? The Air Tube path on the JBA header is longer than stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Log.JPG 
Views:	3278 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	12646  

Liked
    34 times

I'll see if I can find someone who can explain this sytem better to me and get back to you on this end.
    You may have 2 problems
    1- Bad air valve
    2- Not enough exh pressure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast