Battery died.. Changed it.. Now won't idle.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery died.. Changed it.. Now won't idle.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Battery died.. Changed it.. Now won't idle.

Came out after a couple hours of being parked and my truck wouldn't turn over. the interior lights were dim so I tried to jump it but it didn't work. So I went to Pep Boys to get the battery tested and it was dead. So got a new battery, put it in and the car turns over and on, but will not stay on or idle. If I hold the gas on it will but as soon as a let off it dies. Can anyone help me.....

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Battery died.. Changed it.. Now won't idle.

My guess is (and it only is a guess!) when the battery was changed, the powertrain computer was cleared out of any learned performance from the engine and you need to drive it several times to give it a change to re-learn how your engine performs. I believe it takes 3 cycles for it fully re-learn. I forget what qualifies as a cycle (so many miles driven followed by some amount of time) I believe if you drive it for a couple days it will be back to normal.
    2006 Tundra DoubleCab 4X4, Donahoe 2.5" Coilovers, Donahoe AAL, Procomp rear shocks, JBA Headers, Magnaflow 14586, WAAG Brush Guard, BakFlip, LineX Bedliner, Clear Bra, Window Tint, E7007 Navigation, VSE subwoofer!!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

How am I going to drive it if it won't stay on.....

Liked
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by mtzerofive
    Came out after a couple hours of being parked and my truck wouldn't turn over. the interior lights were dim so I tried to jump it but it didn't work. So I went to Pep Boys to get the battery tested and it was dead. So got a new battery, put it in and the car turns over and on, but will not stay on or idle. If I hold the gas on it will but as soon as a let off it dies. Can anyone help me.....

Thanks.
    A agree with Justme but would go a little further. To me these symptoms suggest that your engine might simply need a little maintenance. I would look at things like the MAF sensor, throttle body, spark plugs, and air filter. When were these last cleaned/changed? No need to answer here, just something to consider. Make sure ALL of your vacuum hoses are secure as well.

My train of thought is this:
    Your ECU gradually adjusted to the reduced performance of one or more of these components as they degraded through normal operation. When the ECU trim tables were erased with the battery change, the component(s) needing maintenance were now apparent since the ECU was no longer compensating for them.

I'm no expert, but your symptoms are very indicative of your truck needing maintenance on the above mentioned components.

Let us know what you find out.

Good luck.

Paul
    Completed Mods:
    S&S long tube headers
    Brembo rotors
    TSB caliper upgrade
    Hawk LTS brake pads
    Stainless steel braided brake lines
    Total Chaos steering rack bushings
    Alignment to DJ's specs
    Century cap
    Line-X
    XM satellite radio module (connected to Pioneer head unit)
    Instrument cluster LED upgrade

Future Mods:
    Rearview camera system
    BA Muffler (on order)
    Sound deadener
    Fusion Drive
    Flux Capacitor Control Unit (FCCU)

Liked
    0 times

Does the HB in your location stand for Hunington Beach? If so I work at a great shop in Manhattan Beach. PM if your interested.

Liked
    0 times

Red face Re: Battery died.. Changed it.. Now won't idle.

I agreed with these guys. There should be a way to reset your computer to the default factory setting but I'm not sure what it is.

Also, check the poles on the battery and make sure you were not given a battery with reversed polarity!

Eastwood makes a computer and alarm "saver/setting gizmo" that uses a 9V battery into the cigarette lighter so that when you change your battery your do not lose your settings.

Liked
    0 times

Turn the key to the second detent (the actual run position, not start position) and let it sit there for about a minute. It may need to relearn the throttle stop.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Check the fuses too.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

You may want to pull the rubber elbow off the throttle body and clear the bore(s) where the throttle blades contact it. The blades might be getting stuck in the gunk in the bores.
    Doug
    '01 tundra TRD SR5 4x4 access cab, rear Helwig sway bar, front poly end-links, poly rack and pinion bushings, temp/compass mirror, '05 tail lights, JL audio stealthbox and amp, 6x9 Sony rear spkrs, TO-25 door tweeters, new '03 TRD coilovers w/daytech 3/4" poly spacer, rear HD-Bilsteins, all weather mats, rear seat mod, Draw-Tite bugshield, and TRD limited-slip diff.

Liked
    0 times

i had the same prob after i ran batt dead by leaving ig key on. what fixed it for me was removing the battery connections for about ten minutes, then putting back on. truck idles fine again

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Smile Re: Battery died.. Changed it.. Now won't idle.

I too had the same problem. Changed the battery and it would not idle. Tried the suggestion to remove the battery cables for ten minutes. It worked like a charm. Thank you so much, this saved a tow to the dealer and money to fix the problem.

Liked
    20 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dennis4djb View Post
    I agreed with these guys. There should be a way to reset your computer to the default factory setting but I'm not sure what it is.

Also, check the poles on the battery and make sure you were not given a battery with reversed polarity!

Eastwood makes a computer and alarm "saver/setting gizmo" that uses a 9V battery into the cigarette lighter so that when you change your battery your do not lose your settings.
    A reversed polarity battery would not allow the engine to run at all, let alone no idle. The idle problem is one of two issues, a miscalibrated MAF - clean it and do a computer reset. The second issue is the low speed fuel pump resistor mounted on the driver fenderwell. When the RPM is brought up a relay bypasses the resistor for full pump speed, at idle the pump is designed to slow down through the resistor. It the resistor is bad or unplugged, the pump will not run at idle, however will do the normal prime during key on which will give the initial startup each time. Check the connector, and fuses.

Two issues using one of these 9V battrey gizmo's:
    1 - The key must be in at least the acc position for the cig lighter to work( unless you have done the bypass wiring) otherwise the 9v battery is not connected to the vehicle's electrical system.
    2 - Don't leave your door open while doing this, otherwise the interior lights will kill the 9v battery off in seconds. Seen this so many times and it was always blamed on a bad 9v battery ! Go figure.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hi Everyone,

I know this thread is from 4 years ago ... however, I found it during my research ... therefore, I wanted to share my experience (which just happened today) as well. Hoping it may help others who find this thread as well.

I replaced the battery on my 2002 Tundra today, and my car also started to die on idle. I wasn't sure what to think. So I feared a possible Fuel Injector issue. I went to PepBoys, and once I was there to get Injector Cleaner ... I spoke with one of the Mechanics. He told me the computer needed to reset, and to just turn the Air Conditioner on (to increase RPMs) and let the car idle for 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, my Air conditioner didn't increase the RPMs much ... so I held down the gas peddle on 2,000 RPMS for about 10 minutes. After that, the car stayed on with the Air Conditioner (almost died without it on). So with the Air Conditioner on, I went to a drive on the roads/freeway ... got back about 15 minutes later and all was working well again (with or without the air conditioner on). I have driven it around and started it multiple times today, and all is as it should be (or at least as it was before the battery swap).

Therefore, much like some of the posts above, it was all about helping the electronics reset and remember what they had to do.

Hope this helps someone else as well. Before the advice from the mechanic ... I was starting to plan my trip to the dealership, and thinking what that was going to cost.

Thanks!

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Should have bought a Ford. LMAO...
    2007 RCSB |5.7 | TRD SC | JBA Headers | Auburn LSD

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.